View Full Version : HOWTO - Unlocking the Motorola Z10 RIZR

Hands0n
3rd January 2009, 04:26 PM
You may have been inclined to pick up O2's latest half-price offering of a Motorola Z10 RIZR (see http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/Motorola/Z10?lastPage=/mobile_phones/Pay_And_Go/viewall) that is only available at that price from the O2 stores.

You may have also been inclined to unlock the handset from its O2 PAYG shackles by paying for a Subsidy Unlock Code from any of a large number of Internet-based unlockers (expect to pay from £6 to £25, so shop around).

Had you been so inclined you may then be stuck with an Unlock code that you cannot enter into the Z10 RIZR because all of the Unlockers have incomplete/incorrect unlock instructions for this particular handset. Their instructions are generic to Motorola, but do not correspond to the Z10 RIZR with the current firmware that it arrives with.

Panic not, the answer is here on Talk3G of course :)

1) Power off the Z10
2) Replace the O2 SIM with a known working SIM of another network
3) Power on the Z10 and wait for the message "Subsidy Lock Enabled" to apear
4) Press the Continue button
5) Enter the following sequence **057* and a new prompt will appear asking for a code
6) Enter the Unlock Code supplied to you by the Unlock provider
7) Press SEND (the green call button)
8) Job done! The handset should then spring into life, register on to the new network and be able to make calls, send SMS etc.

At this point you may need to set up the MMS and Internet settings for the handset. If the Z10 is supplied on that network you may be able to prompt for SMS Setup messages to be sent to the Z10 to make the entire job easier for you.

Ben
3rd January 2009, 04:42 PM
It's about time I heard some unlocking goodness out of you :P The networks and mobops have taken all the fun out of it lately!

Hands0n
3rd January 2009, 05:09 PM
LOL - it has been a while. I've not been doing any of that stuff for simply ages. This Z10 was a find by Getti, I had a few bits of cash lying around, no new 3G toys to play with this year and it had to be done :D

The blooming thing was locked to O2! Grrr, so I actually paid out for a code from a supplier on-line, but their instrux were all wrong, so were everyone elses!! It took a good bit of Googling around and finally I ended up on one of my old unlocker haunts and there it was, a solution for the Z8 that worked just fine in the Z10 :cool:

Quite liking the Z10 at the moment, even if it is an old clunky UIQ device.

I am rather intrigued at the Kill Filter with its Blacklist and Whitelist - what an absolute boon for the kids who always seem to be plagued by some fool who thinks it funny to harass.

You can have a single Block list and apparently multiple Allow lists - and get this, you can assign an Allow list to a profile!! How powerful is that? The PDF manual is here http://www.o2.co.uk/deviceinfo/device-pdfs/motorolaz10eng.pdf , just search it for the word "Kill"

Stuff like this should be mandatory in all handsets :)

Ben
3rd January 2009, 08:36 PM
Definitely a cool handset for the money. Grats!