View Full Version : 3 & MSN Messenger

bsrjl1
24th May 2005, 12:26 PM
Sounds like 3 are sponsoring MSN Messenger, and allowing Critters to be used. Wonder whether they'll let their customers use MSN on their phones!!

3 sponsors Microsoft's MSN Messenger

London - 24 May 2005-3, the UK's first video mobile network, today announced that it is sponsoring MSN Messenger in the UK and is the first mobile operator to use the MSN Messenger Theme Pack product as a brand out-reach device.

3's brand personality comes alive in the form of Critters, 3's cartoon characters created by Meme Digital, in a variety of ways - as wallpapers, emoticons and brand new animated "Winks". The partnership, planned and negotiated by MindShare and mOne, coincides with the new release of MSN Messenger version 7, which allows users to communicate using animations as well as text and pictures. The new animated option fits well with the playful style of 3's Critters and enters the 3 brand into the communication culture of millions of MSN fanatics, a great place to connect with young, tech-savvy people.

The Critters' anarchic and irreverent behaviour spices up the range of emoticons and wallpapers currently on offer to Messenger users. Over 8.5 million people a month use MSN Messenger in the UK and with the mobile phone, it is key in connecting the 18-34 age group.

Gareth Jones, COO 3: "3 is a young, fun and different brand. This is a ground-breaking way to reach out to millions of people with the 3 brand in a fun and personal style. Our brand is playful and a little bit cheeky - now millions of people online can have fun with 3 too."

Amanda Anthony, Digital Marketing Manager at MSN UK said, "This is a true extension of our ongoing partnership with 3 and we are delighted to be working again with such a dynamic brand. The innovative MSN Messenger theme packs highlight that both 3 and MSN are deeply committed to developing and driving creative solutions on the internet."

3's agreement with MSN Messenger forms part of an integrated marketing campaign featuring banner advertising and online collateral. Since March, a range of animated critters have been available for download from 3's website, www.three.co.uk/planet3. Thousands of Critters have already been downloaded, Panda, Monkey and turtle are the most popular to date.

Pictures are available upon request or visit www.three.co.uk to download your own.

About 3
Hutchison 3G UK Limited deliver third-generation mobile multimedia and communications services under the 3 brand in the UK, offering a convergence of media, information and telephony to enable live video calls, multimedia content and entertainment while on the move.

3 services are available from sister companies in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy and Sweden. 3 also holds UMTS licences in Ireland and Norway.

For further information, please visit: www.three.co.uk or call the 3 Media Office on 0207 350 5696.

Three facts about 3:
3 is the UK's first video mobile network.
3 is the UK's fastest growing mobile network. Over 3 million customers in the UK now have access to 3's range of 3G services, from video messaging and video calling to watching full-length music videos and goals from Barclays Premiership football.
3's network offers national coverage for calls and texts, and over 82% coverage for video services.

About MSN.co.uk
MSN is the UK's largest portal attracting over 14.7 million visitors per month in the UK (Nielsen//NetRatings March 2005) and more than 380 million unique users worldwide (MSN Internal Data). Owned by Microsoft, MSN is available in 40 markets and 20 languages.

MSN offers a wide range of Subscription products including Hotmail Plus and MSN Premium with state of the art parental controls, spam filtering software and photo editing tools.

MSN provides a number of world class innovative communication and information services including:
MSN Hotmail, the UK's most popular free web-based e-mail service with over 7.2 million users in the UK (Nielsen//NetRatings March 2005) and over 190 million active accounts worldwide (MSN Internal Data)
MSN Messenger, the UK's number one instant messaging service on the internet with 8.5 million monthly users (Nielsen//NetRatings March 2005) and over 155 million active users worldwide (MSN Internal data)
MSN Search, one of the UK's top search sites with over 5.7 million users. (Nielsen//NetRatings March 2005). MSN Search is available in 32 markets worldwide and 14 languages. MSN Toolbar is available in 47 markets with 53 million installed worldwide.

Ben
24th May 2005, 12:31 PM
Mhm it sounds like a glorified "3 bought some advertising from us" kinda press release. I sincerely hope that the 'partnership' reaches beyond that into offering instant messaging on Three handsets, though. There's always hope! There would have to be some charge for such a service though, as there would likely be a decrease in messaging revenues and Three as yet have no data tariffs.

delinquentwoody
24th May 2005, 08:55 PM
Yeh it just sounds like advertising to me too. It would be ace though if they did let us use messenger on our phones but i cant see that happening.

Quote Gareth Jones: "millions of people online can have fun with 3 " - i think he must be taking the mick!

3GScottishUser
25th May 2005, 06:57 AM
One can see the sense targetting MSN Messenger users as they are potential technology users but the savvy ones will have researched the Internet and will know all about 3's lack of service, functionality and mainly unattractive handset offerings.

Most of my work contacts know all about 3..... thanks to the tidal wave of NEC junk last year and overall I get a very hostile and negative reaction to them from those who have both direct and indirect experience. (Hense the 60% churn?)

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 09:55 AM
Maybe this is a step towards 3 removing the walled garden

Hands0n
25th May 2005, 09:20 PM
Too little too late maybe???

Given that all of Three's competition have open Internet services I wonder why [or how] Gareth and co see it that they do not have to compete. Is this a case of The Emperors New Clothes? We all know what happened to that old fella.

I have used MSN on my HP iPAQ via bluetooth to my 2.5G handset on Orange. It works a treat and is as close to using it on a desktop as you could get. I'd love to see it working via 3G but will have to wait until I move [back] to an operator that provides Internet access on their 3G network. Meanwhile my incumbent 3G supplier (Three) want to fob me off with that pathetic piece of news? Oh perrrleeeeze!

Ben
26th May 2005, 02:43 AM
I have to say, in Three's defence, instant messaging is going to kill operator revenues from SMS. Agile Messenger is excellent but not quite there... it won't take much more to tip people towards using a third party application for instant and offline messaging when the costs are so enormously less.

Hands0n
26th May 2005, 06:32 AM
I think you're right about IM Ben, it has had a dramatic take up on the Internet generally. If Three intend to persist with IM within the walled garden though it will be a disaster for them. That is how I have read the article. Perhaps my cynicism in respect to Three is showing :) but they have mis-read the public so far with the exception of cheap tariffs, and as 3GSU says even that is not helping Three with Customer retention. By all rights (and this is a slight digression) Three should be having record high retention and low churn rates. If what is reported is to be believed, just the opposite is true.

I believe that Three's success or otherwise with IM will depend on how they charge for it or its use and how it is implemented - walled garden or full net access? Get it right and the kids will swarm to it wholesale!

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 11:12 AM
I try and use Agile over msn just because the costs are so low compared to the normal sms charge and we are also adopting this for our companie phones, But 3 maybe cutting their throats with this one because 3 pay is used by alot of kids and texting may be a big earner for them. Kids also use MSN and this could have a big impact on 3

gorilla
24th August 2005, 10:34 AM
Can anyone tell me what the IM software on my 6680 is for? I have a '3' mobile, can it be used to IM other 3 users? I already think that it can't be used, just wondering why it's on the phone in the first place.

whatleydude
24th August 2005, 10:43 AM
I too have been wondering this - in fact trawling the web for the answer was how I discovered this place!

lol..

Hopefully someone will know. I've got the same software on my Vodafone 6630.

Ben
24th August 2005, 12:00 PM
It's just a generic IM application for compatible IM servers. I'd imagine it has a use for hooking up to corporate IM servers mostly. The major consumer IM services all use their own various standards and require you to use their own applications (though as we know applications like Agile exist).

It'd be nice if the networks set up compatible IM servers... doubt it'll happen though.

Hands0n
24th August 2005, 02:31 PM
IM turned up on a de-branding of a friend of mine's Motorola E1000. "Wots this for?" he inquired of me. "Bu99ered if I know" I replied helpfully ............... AFAIK built-in IM on handsets has not been heralded from the parapets in any significant manner. I could not find anyting in the config of his E1000 IM app that suggested what type of IM it was, i.e. to which particular IM server brand it would link to. Curiouser and curiouser

gorilla
24th August 2005, 02:48 PM
I completed the customer feedback form on their site to enquire as to its use. Although "Our Customer Service Team is currently experiencing high volumes of email enquiries. We will endeavour to get back to you within 5 working days..."
I'm not holding out for any breaking news, just be interested to why its there.
Presuming Ben is right (no reason to doubt you) what serious business user is going to use 3? Or have I misunderstood?

Ben
24th August 2005, 02:51 PM
what serious business user is going to use 3? Or have I misunderstood?
It's a default application on Nokia Series 60 - it isn't specifically for use on your Three handset. Infact, given that you have no data access on Three, it's utterly useless in its entirety!

whatleydude
24th August 2005, 03:40 PM
Lol
It's a poor view from that there walled-garden!

I think I might ask Vodafone the same question.

What is it - and why?!

gorilla
5th September 2005, 12:32 PM
This is the response I got:
"I can confirm that 3 do not currently support the instant messaging function on your nokia 6680 handset. This is a feature provided by nokia enabling the function of instant messaging services on handsets for example you may use either msn or yahoo messaging services when this feature becomes available. I would advise that you check our website regularly for updates on what features and services are available, you can do this by logging on to www.three.co.uk"

The email also stated that they had tried to call me to discuss this feature, but couldn't reach me. Draw from that what you will.

Now does it sound like they will introduce this feature soon? I suppose as soon as we get net access. (So that'll be...)