View Full Version : Nokia N97 Touch Screen video demo

Ben
9th January 2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/09/ces_video_nokia_n97/

The interface is a bit grim but it looks interesting none the less.

gorilla
9th January 2009, 11:07 AM
WIth widgets on the homescreen being "live" apps, surely this thing is going to crash a lot?

Surely if you show off an Internet capable device at a tradeshow, shouldn't you at least have network access, even if it is wifi?

Ben
9th January 2009, 12:19 PM
Ha, yeah, it wasn't exactly a Jobsian demo, huh ;)

miffed
9th January 2009, 02:11 PM
WIth widgets on the homescreen being "live" apps, surely this thing is going to crash a lot?

Agreed this would be a real concern , I remember my N95 used to crash and ask me to "close some apps" , so I'd open the task manager and the only thing running would be "Standby" :D
To have S60 running stuff while idling is asking for lots of trouble IMO !

Ben
9th January 2009, 03:20 PM
Battery hungry too, perhaps? I think it's potentially a good idea, but until I can actually play with it I really don't know... Nokia obviously believe it's a feature people want.

Hands0n
9th January 2009, 04:18 PM
I have the same recollections as miffed. Restarting the N95 was a several times a day requirement depending on how much you used it to run apps. It was memory leak city!

Now in it's version 30 guide S60 is unrecognisable from those dark days some 24 months ago :eek:

There is a fair chance these active apps will do some kind of hibernate. Although those that can't or don't will inevitably drain the battery. No amount of S60 tinkering will get around that!

miffed
9th January 2009, 08:05 PM
Well , it'll certainly be interesting in a few years time when they get around to launching it - but lets deal with the excitement of Nokia's first 'iphone killer' first , (the one they announced way back in August 07 )

.....Any sign of it yet ? :p

getti
9th January 2009, 08:26 PM
that would be the Nokia 5800 and it comes out 23rd January

Hands0n
10th January 2009, 12:49 AM
Zzzzzzzz, wha? .... eh? ... who? ... Oh, nothing to see here then. Move right along please :D

miffed
10th January 2009, 10:06 AM
... Or maybe Nokia are actually doing their beta testing inhouse with the 5800 , hence the wait ?
The idea of a Nokia that works well out of the box rather than after a year or so of firmware updates would be a real step forward for them !

Hands0n
10th January 2009, 11:52 AM
One can live in hope - that always was the way, Nokia were the Gold Standard for work-out-of-the-box reliability. They seemed to lose their way with the advent of the Symbian OS, doing much better with S40 than with S60.

I'm not that confident these days when unboxing a new S60 Nokia. But I do look forward with interest into their latest foray into the touchscreen world of mobile handset. They've had sufficient time to learn from others mistakes, both old hands and new-comers.