View Full Version : How to unlock motorola C975 for free

Dors
31st January 2009, 07:56 PM
I have a Motorola C975 on the 3 network and i would like to unlock it for free,
can anyone help with this please

3GScottishUser
1st February 2009, 12:31 AM
Hi welcome to talk3g.co.uk

The Moto c975 is a very old 3G handset and probably isnt worth unlocking when you can buy a decent handset from about £30 now.

The c975 was probably one of the very worst handsets ever sold by 3 UK. I had one and took a hammer to it after a while of it constantly dropping calls. It was the most satisfying think I did with it :)

Go to Morrisons, Tesco or Asda and get something decent.

miffed
1st February 2009, 08:32 AM
While it may be technically possible (although not free IIRC) - Wasn''t this the model that 3 resin'ed the SIM cards in ?
Meaning even if the handset was unlocked , you'd not be to put a different SIM in it.

As suggested , Probably not worth unlocking (especially not PAYING to unlock it) all the while better PAYG phones are so cheap !

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ALCATEL-OT-E227/PPAY

nathan3011
30th September 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that he knows he could get a new phone for about £30 but what about if he doesn't have the money to get a new phone, hence why he wanted it unlocked for free.

Rather than just telling him that he can buy a new one we should be trying to actually answer his query surely?

3g-g
30th September 2009, 11:03 AM
I don't think there are very many c975 users left out there, I don't even know if you can get hold of a c975 anymore tbh!

T3G has never really been the place for unlockers, perhaps back in the early days when the 3G handset choice was so very limited on the networks, however, they've all caught up with each other now... the tariffs offered by all are also much-of-a-muchness too.

I'm quite sure anyone with a bit of time & savvy could Google "unlock motorola c975" and trawl through the results to find a solution... nearly half a million hits shouldn't take too long, eh?

Hands0n
30th September 2009, 02:43 PM
Blimey! This is an old topic :)

As 3g-g says, in the early 3G days (2003 onwards) the choice was small. I actually got into unlocking fairly heavily, spent quite a few £s on the technology to unlock Nokia, Motorola and LG 3G handsets. This was using physical tools and software to unlock. It was not cheap, nor was it trivial, often requiring actual patched binaries to upload into the handset (my tools would patch these).

But these were all time-expired, after 12 - 18 months the licences expired and required as much £ again to reinstate. So I didn't bother, the income was too sporadic and I don't think I even covered my outlay :(

Motorola can also be unlocked by "Subsidy Code" - the firms supplying these codes all charge for them, as they are charged to generate them from their sources.

What I'm saying is that it is unlikely that he'll get a free unlock for the c975. Although he may find a software kit on one of the Unlocker forums that is "cracked" but Talk3G would not support any such illegal or dishonest activity.

hecatae
19th January 2010, 10:30 AM
Blimey! This is an old topic :)

As 3g-g says, in the early 3G days (2003 onwards) the choice was small. I actually got into unlocking fairly heavily, spent quite a few £s on the technology to unlock Nokia, Motorola and LG 3G handsets. This was using physical tools and software to unlock. It was not cheap, nor was it trivial, often requiring actual patched binaries to upload into the handset (my tools would patch these).

But these were all time-expired, after 12 - 18 months the licences expired and required as much £ again to reinstate. So I didn't bother, the income was too sporadic and I don't think I even covered my outlay :(

I still have my UFS box and all cables plus a USB Smart and a Terminator dongle

3GScottishUser
19th January 2010, 06:20 PM
I reall the most satisfying 2 minutes ever with a 3 handset as I took a hammer to a Motorola c975 some years back.

I think I posted some pics of it's deserved demise somewhere.

What a shocking phone!!

Gimmie the £17.95 basic Chinese GSM tesco thing any day!!

miffed
19th January 2010, 07:32 PM
LOL , Remember back in the day there was a video of some guys destroying a pair of NEC E606's (BOGOF deals were common at the time) using a pair of RC cars !
Good old days !

Hands0n
19th January 2010, 08:52 PM
This trip down memory lane has a distinctly sinister feel to it :) I still have my e606 pair in my "box of phones"