View Full Version : Dell smartphones coming next month?

Hands0n
1st February 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm wondering to myself if this piece of news is an inevitability. It is certainly an interesting development. Can we expect smartphones from other PC manufacturers and other tech industries?

Rumours that Dell has designed a mobile phone have been doing the rounds for months. But it’s now been reported that the PC assembler could unveil two smartphones within weeks.

According to the Wall Street Journal, a Dell mole’s claimed that one of the smartphones will be akin to the iPhone — think full touchscreen device – and that the other will be a slider similar to Palm’s much-hyped Pré.

It’s understood that Dell will sell both devices with a choice of either Windows Mobile or Google’s Android OS.

The obvious place for Dell to unveil its foray into the smartphone market would be this year’s Mobile World Congress show, which takes place early next month in Barcelona, Spain.

But the WSJ report stressed that Dell’s still finalising its plans and may yet abandon the launch altogether. ®

Article Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/30/dell_smartphone_wsj/

The lure of Android must be compelling for tech manufacturers. In a blink, and without expensive licensing costs, these companies could deliver a quick to market product that, if marketed and priced right, will cause a frenzy not seen since the original iPhone. Manufacturing costs could be minimal by using the industrial might of the likes of China.

I suspect that we are going to see a lot more of this in the coming year or so, and for one, cannot wait to see what is coming over the horizon.

Ben
1st February 2009, 11:07 PM
I like the choice of operating systems - that could be a winner.

However, Dell's PDA line was a disaster and was rapidly axed. Have they learnt from their mistakes? We'll see...

miffed
2nd February 2009, 06:29 AM
will be akin to the iPhone

Now why would they want to do that ? , everyone KNOWS that the Blackberry bold , and Nokia 5800 , N958gb , N96 , N97 , (N95 for that matter ) are all better ? ;)

Hands0n
2nd February 2009, 08:19 PM
i know, for such a crappy phone it sure has a lot of wannabes hanging around. :D