View Full Version : Aww no 6680 playing up, Help/Advice Please

timothythetim
25th May 2005, 10:58 AM
Had my 6680 nearly to weeks and it's been working fantastically up until last night. Was on a night out and it was taking photos brilliantly (the flash is really good) Then, all of a sudden, it decided it was going to delete all my photos. I thought it was maybe just a one off, but then it did it again and then again this morning when I was trying to view the ones I'd taken. The it wouldn't let me take any photos at all. It just said "Sytem Error". Bugger. But when I took the memory card out, the camera worked again, just saving to the phone memory. So I presume the memory card is, how shall we put it, Donald Ducked? I've also had bit of trouble getting my card reader to read it (I had to quite forcefully hold the card in place to get it recognised).
Meanwhile, as you might have known, the idiots (although they sound quite nice on the phone when you eventually get through) at e2save have sent me another 6680 and set me up another contract by mistake. (Interestingly, this one comes in a three braded box, unlike my other one) I emailed me them and they said:

All you need to do is to send the phone and everything that comes with the
> phone by royal mail special delivery to the address in your welcome pack.
>
> Your returns autherisation number is 66951503 must be written on the
> returns lable found in your welcome pack
>
> We hope this information helps you - don\'t forget to refer us to friends
> to earn yourself upwards of £20 each time* Click here for further info
> http://www.e2save.com/money4me.php.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Joshua Bird
>
> Customer Services
> e2save.com

Will they refund the postage? Surely they must as it was them that duffed up.
Anyway do you think it would be a bit dishonest to swap the phone and/or memory card with my one that's playing up?
If you think I should, is there a quick way to get the phone and memory card back to what it was when I got it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Actually just thought, maybe a format of the card would sort things out. I'll give that a shot.

Ben
25th May 2005, 11:14 AM
Hey,

I've heard a bit about the Three branded version randomly deleting messages, not pictures as yet though. I went out and bought a new memory card straight away, so perhaps that's why I've not had any problems - or perhaps it's because mine doesn't have operator branded firmware.

e2save wont refund postage - I've had a similar problem with dabs.com though luckily with dabs they charged me for a collection of an item they sent me by mistake and I simply disputed it with my credit card company. You're going to have to send it back, but it should only cost ~£5 (only! urgh).

Certainly swap any parts you want to before sending it back :) Or, as you said, format your memory card, then copy the applications from the second memory card back to your own one. Or just copy the stuff off your own one first... you've got a card reader by the sound of it so the possibilities are endless!

Sorry to hear about losing your pictures! :(

timothythetim
25th May 2005, 11:20 AM
Cheers
That's a bit of a bummer if I have to pay for postage. Even although it was entirely their fault?
I think i will just swap the phone and the memory card. Luckily the new one didn't have one of them "VOID" sticker thingys on it.

Ben
25th May 2005, 11:44 AM
By all means dispute the postage - perhaps post them a copy of your postoffice receipt with a cover letter? I've not dealt with e2save myself, but I doubt there's a great deal of hope.

Swapping sounds like a good idea, just try and make sure you keep the best working combination and send back whatever bits you don't want! I guess they've almost helped in that respect! lol

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey,

I've heard a bit about the Three branded version randomly deleting messages, not pictures as yet though. I went out and bought a new memory card straight away, so perhaps that's why I've not had any problems - or perhaps it's because mine doesn't have operator branded firmware.

e2save wont refund postage - I've had a similar problem with dabs.com though luckily with dabs they charged me for a collection of an item they sent me by mistake and I simply disputed it with my credit card company. You're going to have to send it back, but it should only cost ~£5 (only! urgh).

Certainly swap any parts you want to before sending it back :) Or, as you said, format your memory card, then copy the applications from the second memory card back to your own one. Or just copy the stuff off your own one first... you've got a card reader by the sound of it so the possibilities are endless!

Sorry to hear about losing your pictures! :(

How would this have issues that the sim free handsets dont have. The handset itself has not got 3 firmware revisions its just got a wallpaper and and a booklet inside the box

Ben
25th May 2005, 12:32 PM
.... so you can select GSM only mode?

I doubt that. Software revisions will have been made.

KeithG72
25th May 2005, 12:47 PM
I have had mine delete all my photos three times now. most annoying. I find my bluetooth connection to my head set erratic too although this has improved since resetting my headset to make my 6680 the default phone.

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 12:51 PM
Thats really strange because I have a mate who has got a 6680 on 3 and its not networked locked or branded apart from the logo on the screen. It might just be a dodgy phone you have

timothythetim
25th May 2005, 12:55 PM
Right, I have swapped the phone and the memory card, i'm just using the old battery. Will e2save find out and be annoyed at me for doing this? Will it not mess things up with them because of different serial numbers and stuff?

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 03:04 PM
to be honest no the batterys are just put in and not allocated to a phone

timothythetim
25th May 2005, 03:35 PM
to be honest no the batterys are just put in and not allocated to a phone
aye, but what if i swap the actual phones?

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 03:40 PM
aye, but what if i swap the actual phones?

Yes they could tell from the IMEI number, but I dont know there checking systems, but if I was you I would not bother

timothythetim
25th May 2005, 03:49 PM
Yes they could tell from the IMEI number, but I dont know there checking systems, but if I was you I would not bother
yeah, i've changed my mind, mines got a bit of a noticeable scratch as well

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 04:55 PM
Good idea, better to be safe than sorry

llj3000
26th May 2005, 10:07 AM
I also had my pictures deleted but i noticed it was mostly when i used sequence shots, and this happend about 6 times within 1 and a half weeks, this also happened to my brothers 6680 and he's on 3 but his one deleted videos aswell as pics, however my 6680 is generic.
we both got nokia to reflash the phone with software and dont seem to have had any problems since...

Ben
26th May 2005, 10:49 AM
Curious! I'll certainly keep an eye on mine and get it flashed if I noticed anything's up - it's very early days so I guess software revisions are bound to be made. How do we check the software version on a Nokia? Perhaps it'd be good if we all established what software versions we were using and which ones had the problems?

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 10:58 AM
I hope mine does that have issues like the others have been reported. I would think it may be a generic issue like llj3000 said

bsrjl1
26th May 2005, 12:00 PM
*#0000# shows the SW version on a Nokia. But there haven't been any new versions (yet) since the release, just a few new operator packs.

ads
26th May 2005, 01:46 PM
Mine is also deleting pictures and my bro's has deleted messages; could this be a major problem?

I am hoping that this is an issue with the memory card... :confused:

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 01:55 PM
Sounds like its getting to be a problem