View Full Version : Blackberry Storm , is it any good yet ?

miffed
10th February 2009, 06:35 PM
Well , its like this ....

I want a new phone , but the only things that really float my boat are

G1
BB Bold
BB Storm
E71
HTC Touch HD

.....And the only ones that REALLY appeal are the Blackberries

Now , I realise that most reviews on the storm were negative , but I am wondering if , just maybe , that was down to rushed firmware with crap Vodafone branding , and maybe things have improved since launch ?

Anyone know about these things ?

Ben
10th February 2009, 11:54 PM
The clicky screen sucked - I don't think any amount of firmware would fix that. I sat on a Voda bus playing with it in London, it was just terrible. Awful. Nasty.

So yeah, get a Storm! ;)

As much as I don't want one myself, I think a G1 would be pretty interesting. Better yet... wait for some new Android fodder to hit the street and find something Apple to blow some dough on :D

miffed
11th February 2009, 11:22 AM
Well I may have gone the way of the G1 , But my Daughter has just bought one , so tinkering with hers is enough to satisfy my curiousity there

I have not bought a phone since July/ August 08 , and that was the iPhone3G , and having used a 2G since the previous November this purchase lacked the "new toy" feel that we all love - Effectively I have used "the same" phone for 16 months !!

I have a real urge to see what RIM have to offer , and would have preffered it to be the Storm , ...Maybe I should try a Bold ?

I think this is one of those situations where I'll have to get something :confused:

gorilla
11th February 2009, 01:37 PM
I would say give the bold a go. It may not be the most recent blackberry, but it has got good reviews and seems a reasonable device.

getti
11th February 2009, 02:45 PM
i would say get a 5800 but ......well im biased :D

miffed
13th February 2009, 05:37 PM
...Now I am veering towards a Touch HD ;)

Ben
13th February 2009, 05:51 PM
Have you considered the 5800? I'm hearing very, very mixed reviews. Some say it's amazing value and very responsive, others say it's a buggy SOAB that wont be usable until new firmware comes out.

solo12002
13th February 2009, 05:54 PM
" others say it's a buggy SOAB that wont be usable until new firmware comes out"

Ah just like the iphone then how maany firmware updats has it has and still little problems, forgetting of course that you cant SMS lol

chaslam
13th February 2009, 06:01 PM
My brother just brought a 5800 (I didnt choose it for him, he just went out and got it so I had no influence what so ever!) and ive used it, and I have to say its pretty stable from what ive seen. I used it for about 20 minutes earlier this year and again it was very stable then. Hes really pleased with it, thinks its great, so i would defiantly consider one.

miffed
13th February 2009, 06:06 PM
Nah ! , something about the 5800 is just horrible IMO

Not sure if it is the shape , the Nokia badge or what , but something just seems to scream "NO WAY !!!!" to me as soon as I look at it :D

Ben
14th February 2009, 02:22 AM
" others say it's a buggy SOAB that wont be usable until new firmware comes out"

Ah just like the iphone then how maany firmware updats has it has and still little problems, forgetting of course that you cant SMS lol
Yeah, solo, just like the iPhone :rolleyes:

Hands0n
14th February 2009, 08:45 AM
...... forgetting of course that you cant SMS lol

Yes. Very clearly forgetting :p I think you mean MMS :D

That said, these devices are getting ever more complex and in the iPhone and G1 these are brand new entrants with no depth of experience. Increasingly the modern handset is emulating mainstream PC OS in terms of bugginess and need for repetitive updates. But then we have a history and expectation of a mobile phone to behave more like an appliance, which is happening less so with each generation of device.

Blackberry is not immune, nor are the likes of Nokia. Their own time to market requirements dictate that their product has to hit the shelves even if there are known or perceived shortfalls or omissions. And this is more likely than ever if the company has an Agile development philosophy.

There are many specific agile development methods. Most promote development iterations, teamwork, collaboration, and process adaptability throughout the life-cycle of the project.

Agile chooses to do things in small increments with minimal planning, rather than long-term planning. Iterations are short time frames (known as 'timeboxes') which typically last from one to four weeks. Each iteration is worked on by a team through a full software development cycle, including planning, requirements analysis, design, coding, unit testing, and acceptance testing when a working product is demonstrated to stakeholders. This helps to minimize the overall risk, and allows the project to adapt to changes more quickly. Documentation is produced as required by stakeholders. An iteration may not add enough functionality to warrant releasing the product to market, but the goal is to have an available release (with minimal bugs) at the end of each iteration. Multiple iterations may be required to release a product or new features.

URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

Some Agile shops will perform regular and routine releases, say once a month or quarter. Others will gather up their iterations until they have achieved a number of complete developments or improvements and fixes. Handset and OS manufacturers appear to adopt the latter approach.

Suited to rapid and short system development lifecycles Agile is gaining favour in a diverse number of environments.

The reason I mention this is that, to the bystander/consumer, it is a very odd process to witness. Some people believe that the consumer is being used as a beta tester. Far from it, a lot of internal testing is done before release. Bugs are often part-functionality iteratively released to get the product out into flight rather than hog it for months or years as happens with more traditional development methodologies.

aidey6
5th March 2009, 11:43 AM
Short answer NO!!!

One official firmware update, but it is still too buggy at present. Slow screen orientation, having to do daily battery pulls, the hit and miss when trying to watch videos on it(one time I downloaded a 3gp clip from bbc news the handset gave me a media error), the very slow camera shutter are just a few of the things off the top of my head....

Also when you do a hard reset (aka battery pull) the phone takes over 4 mins before it is ready for calls!!!! :eek:

I got one last November, silly silly me. I persevered for 3 months before getting a Nokia N85 sim free a couple of weeks ago.

chaslam
5th March 2009, 01:39 PM
well ive just got a 5800 yesterday and i love it! Its really easy to text on, much easier then i thought it would be, and really easy to browse the web on. Seeing as its nokias first effort on a touch screen im very impressed and would recommend one to anyone. Im posting this from it now'

Ben
5th March 2009, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. It's a shame this device fell so massively below expectations.

Edit: 5800 sounds good value for money. Do a thread on your experience! :D