View Full Version : Orange TV

stuartturrell
25th May 2005, 12:34 PM
Hi there,

I have been watching this forums for a couple of months or so now, maybe actually a lot longer than that, and i have finally signed up!

I get my 6680 tomorrow from orange and i just wanted to know what anyone thinks of the orange TV service, anyone tried it?

I will give a little review on friday if anyone wants one.

Is there a part of the forum where i can properly introduce myself?

Stuart

Ben
25th May 2005, 12:48 PM
Hey, welcome to Talk3G! Don't worry about introducing yourself, I think you just did! You might want to edit your profile though with a bit of info about yourself.

Orange TV doesn't launch until Friday, when it will be available on Orange World for download. I assume this is to coincide with the launch of this years Big Brother, one of the 'headline' channels Orange TV will be featuring.

I'll also hopefully be providing some more details on the service come friday - I can't wait to compare findings!

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Stuart

The Orange TV service is not launched till Friday according to sources on this forum. However a review would be very welcome when the service is up and running.

Question for you

Have you setup the subscription for Orange TV with Orange when you signed up?

Welcome to the forum and hope you stick around

stuartturrell
25th May 2005, 12:53 PM
I will have a look at my profile later on, nothing interesting about me tho!

I havent set up the orange TV on my account no, but i hear that new 3G customer do get the free 1gb/2gb (whatever it is) free, and guessing since we are getting the only phone able to use Orange TV at the moment, i should imagine that it will automatically be setup on our account.

I will phone CS tomorrow just to make sure.

DO you know if the free allowance includes data for net browsing too?

I often use tomtom mobile/ route 66 on my mobile and i would like to use the traffic updates now i am coming off of vodafone pay you talk (rip off tariff).

Stuart

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 12:59 PM
I will have a look at my profile later on, nothing interesting about me tho!

I havent set up the orange TV on my account no, but i hear that new 3G customer do get the free 1gb/2gb (whatever it is) free, and guessing since we are getting the only phone able to use Orange TV at the moment, i should imagine that it will automatically be setup on our account.

I will phone CS tomorrow just to make sure.

DO you know if the free allowance includes data for net browsing too?

I often use tomtom mobile/ route 66 on my mobile and i would like to use the traffic updates now i am coming off of vodafone pay you talk (rip off tariff).

Stuart

The 1gb of data for Orange TV is solely for Orange TV use only. But if you have got a 3G phone then you should get 1 gb of data for 3 months in addtition to the 1gb for TV, so you can use that for whatever you want and so many video mins too, its worth checking out with CS when you get time

Ben
25th May 2005, 01:23 PM
AFAIK, using Orange TV during the first 3 months comes out of your Orange Try 1GB/month bundle. This bundle can be used for anything.

After that, you have to purchase the Orange TV package for £10 a month - that data only applies to Orange TV use, so you'll need an Orange World Access bundle too.

I'd imagine OTV is like the Music Player - charging will be done via the application. We'll soon see, though!

getti
25th May 2005, 01:36 PM
i think you will get 1gb of data AND the 1gb for Orange TV

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 01:52 PM
thats what i thought

stuartturrell
25th May 2005, 02:02 PM
"In the press last week it says 6680 users will get the normal 1gb a month DATA
free for 3 months, and also ANOTHER 1gb a month for 3 months SOLELY for TV streams."

I got that from a newsgroup and that is correct, so thats good!

I also got this, interesting
"The TV service is delivered using GPRS, for which your allowance of 1Gb
roughly translates to 20 hours per month. You also have an additional
proper data bundle of 1Gb for everything else e.g. modem use, orange
worlds etc."

GPRS, not 3g?

Stuart

stuartturrell
25th May 2005, 02:04 PM
Actually, isnt orange the only UK network to offer some kind of other technology that isnt 3G, but almost as quick, EDGE is it called?

Maybe this service runs on that and the Nokia 6680 i believe is the only mobile on orange that supports EDGE at the moment? Is that what is meant by GPRS??

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 02:32 PM
"In the press last week it says 6680 users will get the normal 1gb a month DATA
free for 3 months, and also ANOTHER 1gb a month for 3 months SOLELY for TV streams."

I got that from a newsgroup and that is correct, so thats good!

worlds etc."

GPRS, not 3g?

Stuart

In oranges case in the UK OTV is sent via 3G data and you can only watch the OTV when in 3G coverage. I would suspect EDGE may be used when Orange go down that route, but at present its 3G for OTV

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/22/orange_touts_tv_on_3g_mobile_phones/

Seems that the 1gb of data is to be used for the orange TV for the 1st 3 months then its a sub service after that. But we will see

Ben
25th May 2005, 04:35 PM
GPRS is just a way of delivering packets of data over a mobile phone network - Orange TV will only work in a 3G coverage area and the packets will be delivered at 3G speed.

I'm still not convinced, from what I've read, that you get an additional 1GB of OTV data free for the first 3 months - but all should become clear on Friday.

Martin3G
25th May 2005, 04:51 PM
worlds etc."

GPRS, not 3g?

It's still GPRS but across the 3G Network ;)

There is not much difference between sending packet data across the 2G network and 3G network as they both use SGSN's (Serving GPRS Support Nodes). Obviously the 3G network has a larger data capacity across the radio network hence it's used for the TV service.

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 04:51 PM
GPRS is just a way of delivering packets of data over a mobile phone network - Orange TV will only work in a 3G coverage area and the packets will be delivered at 3G speed.

I'm still not convinced, from what I've read, that you get an additional 1GB of OTV data free for the first 3 months - but all should become clear on Friday.

Yes it does seem abit much

getti
25th May 2005, 06:18 PM
Im Back 6680 In Hand!!

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 06:37 PM
Im Back 6680 In Hand!!

and is it nice

stuartturrell
25th May 2005, 06:54 PM
is it as fast as the 6630? Processor wise? Not sure if you would know that or not! But worth asking!

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 07:05 PM
is it as fast as the 6630? Processor wise? Not sure if you would know that or not! But worth asking!

Its just about the same, i dont think you will notice it

getti
25th May 2005, 07:12 PM
I think its faster. However one thing i noticed is dont have too many things running.

I had 5 things running and he Cam and it asked me to close things

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 07:21 PM
I think its faster. However one thing i noticed is dont have too many things running.

I had 5 things running and he Cam and it asked me to close things

I have found that with my 6630 when I have downloaded a clip and too many apps were open it would ask me to close something down to play it

Martin3G
25th May 2005, 08:57 PM
Usually video apps have to create a buffer in the RAM so that might be the reason.

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 11:00 AM
Just been in to my Orange retail store and they told me that OTV maybe delayed due to technical issues. I was also advised by them that the OTV will not come out of the bundled 1GB of data you get. However what they say is that he may do for customers signing up after the launch date

baston
26th May 2005, 12:02 PM
not surprised this must be the reason for the delays.

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 12:57 PM
yes maybe, but when you speak to Orange direct its a different story

jonnyguitar
26th May 2005, 01:51 PM
Email received today from Orange HQ:

"Apologies if the press release/subsequent media coverage caused any confusion. To clarify, Orange TV is expected to launch tomorrow (not on Monday as reported by some media)."

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 01:56 PM
Well we will see, Orange are saying this very open and it would be a shame if it didnt happen

getti
26th May 2005, 05:22 PM
You can now download the app needed for Oranve TV from World

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 05:30 PM
This is looking very promising and looks like a Friday start

getti
26th May 2005, 05:45 PM
to be honest im not impressed. Especially not for £10 a month. Although 1st 3 months ARE FREE.

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 05:49 PM
Is it working then?

getti
26th May 2005, 05:54 PM
yeah its working

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 05:56 PM
So what is the quailty like?

What is the intereface like? How do you navigate the channels?

getti
26th May 2005, 06:19 PM
You load the software and choose 'Channels'

Keeps stopping every 10secs to catch up

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 06:37 PM
very poor or could that be the buffer on the phone or the poor 3G coverage you are in

stuartturrell
26th May 2005, 06:47 PM
Excellent, i was supposed to have my phone by now, but guessing whoever delivers the phone hasn't had time to get to pop it into me today!

Shame about the stopping every 10 seconds! Sounds disappointing, but i am sure it will get there in the end! Probably signal.

Who does orange use to deliver the phones?

Stuart

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 07:02 PM
TNT do Orange

Ben
26th May 2005, 08:11 PM
You load the software and choose 'Channels'

Keeps stopping every 10secs to catch up
Not on mine! Are you in 3G? :S Most channels haven't launched yet... CNN works good for me though!

getti
26th May 2005, 08:25 PM
Appologies for my earlier post.

The 10secs problem was my coverage being so strange where I live. Tried up the shops where I had full 3G and it was fine.

Only channel to catch my interest was the comedy one tbh

Ben
26th May 2005, 10:08 PM
Wow! In really good coverage at home atm (stationary) and the quality is FANTASTIC! It stops to buffer every now and then.... but not often. The BB live streaming is going to be brilliant! I'm really impressed :) :)

The backlight keeps turning off though... maybe they'll fix that in a future version - for now you have to change your settings.

Jon3G
27th May 2005, 09:36 AM
I thought the delay was down to signal strengh. Its really going to a pain with the signal and it will only be watchable if you are in excellent coverage

baston
27th May 2005, 03:40 PM
how do you get sound ?

scuj1
27th May 2005, 06:44 PM
Me too! Wheres the sound? Tried everything but no success!

Ben
28th May 2005, 01:17 AM
Sometimes I get sound but no video for a little while. They're streamed separately so if there's a problem streaming one or the other to you then you'll only see/hear the one stream. It was working fine when I tried a little while ago. Persevere - you might need to give it a couple of minutes if there's a lot of strain on the network before it all sorts itself out.

Jon3G
28th May 2005, 07:10 AM
The problems that have been identified so far are just little bugs that need ironing out and it was very bold for Orange to launch so ahead of everyone else - but thats Orange for first for innovation and all that. I am really glad that nothing major has gone wrong with it and its good that all the problems are happening through the trial period and not when people are paying £10 a month for the service and they may be another reason for the 3 months free.

Orange will sort it out, just bear with them

Ben
31st May 2005, 04:06 PM
What access point is everyone using for OTV?

I'm using Orange Internet, it seems to work best. Does it matter which one we use?

stuartturrell
31st May 2005, 04:28 PM
I use Orange Internet too, not tried any other tho.

Jon3G
31st May 2005, 04:31 PM
Would it work if you tried any other. I have tried using Orange wap for Agile and it didnt work

Ben
31st May 2005, 04:37 PM
Agile works on Orange GPRS WAP and Orange Internet for me. Can't remember if I've tried any others.

Same for OTV, but it seems to stream much more smoothly on Orange Internet.

The application really needs to install its own access point and stop prompting for net access and an access point every time it's opened!

Btw: You can all send feedback on mobitv (orange tv) to [email protected] - the more feedback we can give them the better the product will become. Don't forget things like channel requests!

Jon3G
31st May 2005, 04:40 PM
It was a while back since I tried using the Orange services and will hopefully be happy to comment on the OTV offering when I get my settings

Ben
4th June 2005, 12:36 PM
Argh! Why does Orange TV never work when you're trying to show it to someone!

It's always fine when I'm on my own, but I can guarantee that if I'm trying to show it to someone it'll either buffer forever, play sound with no video, or crash the whole phone. Pretty much the only times that I've had problems with OTV have been when trying to show it off :rolleyes:

So, reliability is still an issue. Mobitv has a lot of growing to do.

getti
4th June 2005, 02:31 PM
Yeh but remember its VERY new.

Jon3G
4th June 2005, 03:53 PM
Not at it fail yet on Voda, Maybe its the Orange TV view and not the network at fault. I Voda you use Realplayer or the built in Video player in your handset.

I wonder if you can convert it to use Real player

Ben
4th June 2005, 07:32 PM
Either you've got the most unremarkable grammar or the most remarkable dialect, Jon3G ;)

No, you can't convert it to use Real.

It's almost certainly the application that causes the problems. I'd like to believe that updated versions will be regularly available but given that no improvements have been made to Orange Music Player since I started using it I'm not so sure.

I still love it though :D I can't wait until applications like this are network independent.

simax
4th June 2005, 09:08 PM
What access point is everyone using for OTV?

I'm using Orange Internet, it seems to work best. Does it matter which one we use?

Heh - I'm using it via the orangewap APN. I have unlimited GPRS through that via my staff access pack ;)

Simon

getti
4th June 2005, 09:36 PM
Gimme Gimme Gimme :D

Jon3G
4th June 2005, 10:27 PM
Did you know

When you sign up it says that that you need a colour TV licence to watch OTV

Lol

Jon3G
4th June 2005, 10:27 PM
Either you've got the most unremarkable grammar or the most remarkable dialect, Jon3G ;)

No, you can't convert it to use Real.

It's almost certainly the application that causes the problems. I'd like to believe that updated versions will be regularly available but given that no improvements have been made to Orange Music Player since I started using it I'm not so sure.

I still love it though :D I can't wait until applications like this are network independent.

I was very drunk when I wrote the post

Ben
11th June 2005, 02:48 PM
A little word of warning:

The first 3 months of OTV usage is intended to come out of the Orange Try bundle and the Orange billing system doesn't detect whether it's there or not. That leaves me in the position of effectively not being able to use OTV for 3 months! Orange are calling me back on Monday (yes, famous last words I know, but I'm hopeful) with, hopefully, some kind of solution - but other SIM-Free upgraders without the 1GB/month Orange Try bundle should tread carefully!

Orange didn't take into consideration that existing customers would migrate to the 6680 via their own channels - ie Sim Free. Oops :)

3g-g
11th June 2005, 05:32 PM
Keeping with the charge for users of OTV and the relevant links from Orange World for those non 6680, but still 3G users.

Perhaps I thought it too good to be true. On the homepage of OW via my Sanyo it shows "Live BB coverage" 50p per day. Now I would presume that was 50p, end of story. It would stand to make them more than the £10 per month from OTV users, which have 9 channels to choose from, if they used it every day (50p x 30days = £15). So yesterday a little link appeared, which I'm sure wasn't there before.. terms and conditions it said. Following it began to tell of the conditions for the BB feed, 50p per day... and relevant data transfer costs. So that hour and 6mins I let it run the other day would be a fair old chunk of data for those that have to pay!

So another little word of warning: This new stuff we've got to muck about with, great and entertaining thought it is, could prove to be fairly costly if you don't keep an eye on what you're doing!

Jon3G
14th June 2005, 02:03 PM
When you go on Orange world does it still advertise the OTV download regardless of what phone you have

3g-g
14th June 2005, 03:43 PM
No, it only seems to display content that is suitable for your handset. If it sees you have a 6680 it must allow you to download the mobitv player. On mine it only shows the BB feed as a link and the HS's media player copes with the streaming itself. TBH I would of thought that would allow O to show every TV channel they use on the 6680, the mobitv player will only be hiding the links underneath the application. Ah well, maybe Orange couldn't get the players developed quick enough for non-symbian OS handsets.

Jon3G
14th June 2005, 07:56 PM
So i would persume that the 6630 may support the OTV player

Can anyone find out

3g-g
14th June 2005, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't presume so. Although very similar, in both HS workings and OS, the network still knows it's a 6630, so it doesn't need to show the relevant link for the mobitv download.

I thought you had a 6630 Jon?

Jon3G
15th June 2005, 10:14 AM
No Voda changed my 6630 for a 6680 due to issues

Ben
20th June 2005, 08:51 PM
I tried to use OTV again while on the move today. LOL!

Data transfer over GSM suffers when moving at high speed. WCDMA transfer just dies! I could only get audio whilst on the move, and that was only during GSM coverage. I do wonder, increasingly as the days go by, exactly why WCDMA was so attractive. You couldn't possibly use it on a train or bus etc.

I left it running for a bit in the hope that the network would detect the inefficiencies - though given that I only get 50mb free a month that was probably the most expensive gift I've given Orange in a while!

Jon3G
20th June 2005, 09:21 PM
I must say I used it through o2 3G, yes you heard me o2 3G. The quality of TV was fantastic

stuartturrell
20th June 2005, 11:06 PM
o2 3G, thats something i have never seen in the parts of the country i live in, same with t-mobile.

Only get vodafone, orange and 3 (agh) here.

So it looks like the issues we have with orange tv are with the orange network then?

I have found that when i am at work, i get no picture but sound, but when at home (on a different cell and barely 1/4 signal), i get both sound and picture, tho a lot of buffering.
So

Ben
21st June 2005, 12:35 AM
Experiences seem to vary wildly from cell to cell - while in full strong 3G in the midlands I was having all kinds of problems getting sound and video at the same time on OTV. It'd even kick me back to GSM occaisionally when there was absolutely no need to - it never did that once while I was using the data connection from the laptop.

Here, however, with patchy 3G, I can get excellent quality video and sound with minimal buffering. Go figure! Obviously got a better guy watching my area than there is in the Midlands ;) ;)