View Full Version : BT talking to T-Mobile about 3

3GScottishUser
14th February 2009, 10:23 AM
The Guardian has recently reported that talks have been taking place between T-Mobile and BT about the joint mobile company owned by both T-Mobile and 3.

This could be some background negotiation in preparation for BT returning to the mobile market. BT managment have been concerned that their fixed line business is now being seriously affected by the rise of mobile phones and broadband.

This looks interesting and comes as no surprise as Hutchison seem keen to get out of the mobile business.

solo12002
14th February 2009, 10:28 AM
" T-Mobile and BT about the joint mobile company owned by both T-Mobile and 3"

When did 3 become part owned by T -MObile, I thought they had an agreement to share masts etc, not that they brought part of it, if they did, I wounder why they dont buy outright to stop another compancy from doing do?

I can see why BT would want to buy it, after all, most ppl are with out nwtworks now, I mean I get BB

3GScottishUser
14th February 2009, 10:46 AM
3 & T-Mobile now own a joint company which provides their 3G coverage. Any deal to buy 3 UK would have to involve T-Mobile as they are joint owners of the mobile network infrastructure.

3 & T-Mobile share more than masts now. (Orange & Vodafone only share masts).

Buying a mobile network would allow BT to compete for bundled options like home/mobile broadband and home and mobile voice calls. Currently BT buys mobile airtime from Vodafone who they compete with for broadband business. A mobile network would be a good fit for BT now.

Ben
15th February 2009, 12:22 AM
BT buying Three UK would be interesting :D More interesting than one of the others buying it.