View Full Version : Problems with 6680, any ideas

Degudodger
25th May 2005, 07:20 PM
Evening all,

I currently have a Nokia 6680 on Three which is a fantastic phone BUT i seem to be having a couple of problems. First of all is it possible to configure the phone to access and retrieve emails from my ntlworld account, i can do this via the "3" wap site but it is only possible to retrieve emails whilst in 3g coverage. I have entered the correct pop and smtp settings (the same as my Outlook settings) but it just hangs. I did try to seek help from "3" customer service but they didn't understand what i was trying to do.

I have replaced the existing memory card with a 256mb so that i can run TOMTOM and a couple of other programs, however when i inserted it this morning (Brand new and only received this morning) the phone would not recognise it and i don't have the option to format it either (or not that i can see anyway).

If any of you kind fellows can help it would be very much appreciated

Antony

Reply to antonystevens (at) ntlworld (dot) com

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 07:28 PM
First problem

If you are trying to access your email from your handset itself then you will not be able to do it. The reason for this is because 3 UK dont have an open access network and will only allow you to access their content (IE their portal (wap)) This will never work until they open up their network. The only way you can do it is through the wap site that you currently use on 3

The 2nd

Is the card dual volt, if not the card will not work. If it is then you may have a handset fault or memory card fault.

Does your MC that you got with the handset work fine, if it does then its the new MC?

Ben
25th May 2005, 07:46 PM
Just to expand on Jon3G's response:

As he says, you can't access anything external to Three. You could, however, try getting your other email account set up so it forwards your email to your 3mail. Check out any charges before hand though, 3mail can cost money now I believe?

On the card issue, providing it's DV, put it in the handset and format it. It'll work fine after that. You'll need to copy your applications onto it from the Nokia card, otherwise you'll find all your preinstalled aps have vanished! Easily done with a card reader, though.

Welcome to Talk3G!

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 07:57 PM
Ben

How do u format it because he says it does not have the option to do it.

If its the same as the 6630 then follow this

Press the menu key
scroll down to organiser and enter that menu
you should have an icon titled memory card
click on the icon and it should give you info on the card, on the left handside it should say options. Press options and then format memory card and then that should do it

Ben if that differs on the 6680 then please post the correct navigation

Degudodger
25th May 2005, 08:22 PM
Evening Gents,

Thanks for the help, it's a great help. The original card which was bundled with the phone worked fine, the only reason why i brought another was because i wanted one of greater capicity. The new one which inserdentaly is a 256mb RSMMC card was advertised as being compatable with a vast range of mobiles including the 7610.

Hypnotic
25th May 2005, 08:27 PM
The memory card option is found in tools. Open it, click options and chhose format.

Degudodger
25th May 2005, 08:35 PM
AH F@@K, i brought the card off ebay and after re-reading the add it clearly states that it's not a Duel Voltage card. Bugger :mad:

Ben
26th May 2005, 02:46 AM
Argh, totally sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can sell it for a similar price to what you paid.

You might want to check these guys (http://www.mobymemory.com/RS_DV_Dual_Voltage_MMC_Memory_Cards.asp) out - I used them and my card works fine after being formatted in the handset.

Michel
26th May 2005, 09:29 AM
I did try to seek help from "3" customer service but they didn't understand what i was trying to do.

I see that customer services in the UK are as incompetent as are their french counterparts. As we say here, if you don't need them, you can always call them. Although they are always happier to take the money (thanks to the overtaxed phone calls) than to give the advices.

Jon3G
26th May 2005, 09:57 AM
I see that customer services in the UK are as incompetent as are their french counterparts. As we say here, if you don't need them, you can always call them. Although they are always happier to take the money (thanks to the overtaxed phone calls) than to give the advices.

That is a very true statement, but you would think they would now start to get there act together