View Full Version : Is the bar set too high now?

Hands0n
21st March 2009, 06:17 PM
Apple iPhone, Google G1, Nokia 5800, HTC Magic and Palm Pre are all either here now or very very imminent. Yawn, so flipping what!

Could anyone have imagined two years ago that the bar for such sophisticated devices would have ever reached these heady heights? Remember, these are all "soft" phones in that they can be added to remotely and without any manufacturing plant. Just a modest software factory will do nicely thank you. That and some, probably Chinese, manufacturing plant for the actual hardware to literally "print" these out by the millions each year. The profits for the manufacturers are likely to be enormous, particularly the start-ups as opposed to the entrenched.

For a very classic example of these "soft" phones one need look no further than the Apple iPhone. Within months software version 3.0 is coming out, free of any charge, that is purported (and reported) to cause a dramatic change and enhancement to the device. All Apple have to do is get it working and push it out over the wire.

Google go one better, I am told, and push these kind of updates out over the air! How cool is that? One can only expect Palm to do the same with their Pre. Nokia, no doubt, will continue to use their own NSU utility, at least for now one would think.

Not only all of that, but these handsets are starting to be given away, or modestly priced, on very ordinarily priced contracts - Nokia's 5800 comes free on Vodafone's (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/catalog/compatiblePlanListView.jsp?dependantSkuIds=sku6900 25&phoneType=post&skuType=phoneSku&selection=null&initalFilters=flt_paymonthly&_requestid=507297) £25 per month plan, albeit with bugger all data on the plan in typical Vodafone fashion. But you get my drift.

So where does that leave every single other phone out in the market? Well, if truth be told, there appear to be plenty of people who do not want the "iPhone experience" if I may call it that. Very many people seem quite happy with their standard candybar, slider or clamshell handsets. I would say that the majority feel that way.

But for those that are into this experience the bar is now very high and the differentiators are very narrow between all of these new handsets.

Having had practical use of an iPhone since soon after its availability in the UK and also spent some time with a Google G1 to handle I do think that the outcome for all the manufacturers is going to be which UI becomes favourite. It is very unlikely to be who's OS is able to multi-task or not, that is all way too geeky for the masses. Instead, I feel, it will be down to how easy and simple it is for someone new to one of these to pick up and make use of straight away. And for me the decider is whether or not the handset comes with a manual in its box. It takes a very confident manufacturer to send out such a device without the ubiquitous 500-page manual. Even my Nokia 6300 comes with a manual that would hold a door open.

But this is all very well and good. What happens next? How do manufacturers improve the hardware of these devices without going into making minor tweaks that are expensive to manufacture. Each production line costs a small fortune to set up and get up to speed with sufficient quality. But if these same companies rely upon a stable hardware and use software only to improve where are the economics in that?

Yes, the bar has been raised. Not only for us buying customers but also the manufacturers. The only winners, it seems, are yet again the mobile network operators.

Ben
21st March 2009, 09:23 PM
I certainly couldn't have imagined it. With Nokia at the helm the smartphone market had become notably stale and incredibly boring. People were getting moist at the idea of an integrated TV tuner that wouldn't even work on our shores.

Two years ago it was all about form factors and specs. Now it's all about software, and wow, what a difference it has made! I think the bar has been set just right, and I think as attempts are made to clear it with the next generation of devices, led by Apple's new iPhone and iPhone OS 3.0 in the summer, the experience of 'handheld computing' will go from strength to strength.

Btw, Nokia so need to enforce real OTA updates. Apple has the killer advantage of iPhones being like iPods - everyone hooks them up to iTunes on their computer. The same just can't be said for Nokia's. Hell, hooking them up to a computer is knocking on the door to a world of hurt! Even a prompt to say there's new firmware would be a start. If Android has full-on OTA updates then that's exactly what's required to compete.

getti
21st March 2009, 10:36 PM
Btw, Nokia so need to enforce real OTA updates. Apple has the killer advantage of iPhones being like iPods - everyone hooks them up to iTunes on their computer.

The new S60 Nokia phones do have OTA firmware updates. Just type in *#0000# on the phone and select Check For Updates. The file will download and install right on the phone

Now that is Firmware OTA and much better than using a computer to plug the phone into

Ben
21st March 2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah what I'm saying is it needs to be enforced, the default, on as standard.

No one is going to dial *#0000# and set it up manually. Its pathetic!