View Full Version : iPhone OS 3.0 beta 2

Hands0n
1st April 2009, 06:31 PM
The latest and greatest preview of what is coming in 3.0 software has just been released. Reportedly more stable and faster. These are beta code and so will contain a lot of debug code also, hence running slower. It is very tempting to give it a go, but I can wait it out for the final release to hit the streets.

Apple has seeded the second beta of iPhone OS 3.0 to developers, according to an AppleInsider report.

The Cupertino-based iPhone maker reportedly told developers downloading the build, labeled iPhone OS beta 2 build 7A259, that they could begin developing applications that will rely on the company's new Push Notification service immediately.

Similarly, developers were also provided with more detailed information on how to build in-app purchasing functionality into their existing or future applications. Much of this technical information will reportedly appear in a App Store Kit reference guide.

Reportedly the new build runs much faster than the first and is much more stable.

Source: iClarified (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3428)

miffed
1st April 2009, 06:41 PM
I've got my old 2g sitting here doing nowt (accidently locked it again ! :( )

Very tempted to have a go TBH , if only to see if MMS does work over 2G !!

Not sure I'd go to the trouble of going the $99 route though, apparantly someone is selling a "hacked" option (llifetime support) at £16 a pop ?

chagle
2nd April 2009, 09:31 PM
O'dear! Think I've done something silly (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=iphone+3.0&_sacat=See-All-Categories) :-)

Hands0n
2nd April 2009, 09:56 PM
LOL Well sir, you are just simply going to have to tell us all about that little expenditure. How did the sale go, and almost as important how does the new beta2 look?

At that price I'm intrigued and not a little tempted :D

chagle
2nd April 2009, 10:01 PM
Got activated - Now just got the link for the download. Downloading now...! :)

I can always go back to v.2.x.x

miffed
2nd April 2009, 10:09 PM
I can always go back to v.2.x.x

Can you ? I thought you couldn't once the handset is registered as a test device ?

chagle
2nd April 2009, 10:11 PM
I've read in some forums you can. I might be wrong. But it couldn't be any less stable than a JB phone! (been there, done that.. and back again) LOL

chagle
2nd April 2009, 11:10 PM
Well that was a quick 10 minutes of v3 beta! Far toooooo buggy and slow to use.

Currently downloading v2.1.1 to downgrade! :-) That'll teach me!!

Hands0n
3rd April 2009, 12:19 AM
I suspect that you got V3.0 beta rather than 3.0 beta.2

The latter is reportedly much quicker and less buggy. No doubt there'll be a beta.3 and beta.4 before the final release in June or July.

chagle
3rd April 2009, 05:45 AM
I think I Have learned my lesson! I know have an iPhone that I can't reload. Trying to downgrade and just keep getting 1603 errors in iTunes when trying to reload! :rolleyes:

The file used was: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A238j_Restore.ipsw

Hands0n
3rd April 2009, 07:21 AM
Have you tried putting it in Recovery mode using the Power and Home keys? That is different to using the Restore button in iTunes. Once in Recovery mode you can use CMD/Click to let iTunes allow you to choose which software file to restore to the iPhone.

The next bit clipped from the tinterweb 'cos I cant find the pukka cheat sheet I use...

To do this, turn your device off if possible. Now press the Home button and hold it, then press the Sleep/Wake button, and keep holding both of them until you see the white Apple appear, just like in “Force Restart”. But, don’t let go when you see the white Apple. Keep holding both buttons for about thirty seconds, and eventually you will see a screen showing a USB plug and indicating you should connect to iTunes. At this point you can let go of the buttons. [Update: If you try this and never seem to get to the recovery screen, try it again but with the sync cable hooked up. I believe with the newest system, this might be necessary to get to recovery mode.]

iPhone in Recovery Mode

You have forced your phone into recovery mode. This is about the same state that it was in when it first came out of the box. The device won’t do anything until you plug in the cable and run iTunes. iTunes should display a message that says it sensed a device in recovery mode, and should it restore the device?

miffed
3rd April 2009, 11:04 AM
Another thing to try is using a USB hub , Apparently Macs running 10.5.6 don't recognise DFU mode , and using a USB hub can make things magically work ?

After (accidently , not thinking about what I was doing ) flashing my Jailbroken / Unlocked 2G iphone with the official 2.2.1 (inc BB 02.30.03 ) ... I am now unable to flash anything other than the latest OFFICIAL firmware (locked to o2) :( , that is through standard restore , recovery , DFU , quickpwn ... you name it ! , tried every trick in the book, gave up in the end, because even the most optimistic of hackers are saying that Jailbreak only (no SIM unlock) is acheivable with this baseband , TBH couldn't really have given a toss about Jailbreaking, it was the simlock I wanted :(
I suspect you will be left in a similar predicament here , but hopefully you'll at least be able to get back to the latest official release.

chagle
4th April 2009, 12:21 AM
Tried all sorts - Google finds a lot of peeps in the same boat - But there are work arounds which I'm trying now.

I tell you, I've been using my old Nokia N73 today and I SOOO missed my iPhone! No emails on the go, no Apps I know and love! Grrrrrr....!

Currently trying this (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1172850.html)

Wish me luck - Couldn't stand another day without the iPhone!

miffed
4th April 2009, 10:19 AM
Have you addressed the DFU problem 10.5.6 ? , maybe thats an issue ?

Ben
4th April 2009, 10:19 AM
Good luck! My N73 drove me potty in the end, and that was before I knew better.

miffed
4th April 2009, 11:24 AM
LOL , the iPhone turns you into a retard when it comes to other phones !!

I pulled my E61 out of the drawer yesterday , just out of phone boredom really. I put my T-mobile PAYG sim in , and set about setting the thing up - I got lost trying to work out where the mails settings go , then when I finally found out, I went through the lengthy process of putting each and every detail in manually , the OS never offered to help at any point !! :p
Then tried to download my mail , ....nothing ! , ...then I remembered there were some port settings I had to use to get Gmail in the native client
..... I sort of gave up at this point !!:D , funny , as little as a year ago I suspect I would have configured the mail in my sleep and then congratulated Nokia on making it so simple :D:D:D .... Just goes to show har far we've come .

chagle
4th April 2009, 11:30 AM
All sorted! Back to 2.2.1 - But had to use the JB FW as the vanilla FW wouldn't go on. But I'm happy now I have a working iPhone!

That'll teach me! .... or will it!? :confused:

It was such a dream just getting iTunes to sync my mail accounts/settings, video and music back - and even more of a dream to get MobileMe sync'ing Contacts, Cal and other bits and bobs. Sooo easy!

I don't think I would ever have a phone where I would need to go in and out of menus just to setup up simple stuff like the above.

Has the iPhone made me lazy? - Yes.. and I'm loving it! ;)

miffed
4th April 2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah , silly litlle things .... Like setting the mail - (on S60)

You get a page with a list of settiings , i.e.

USERNAME -XXXXXXXX
PASWORD -XXXXXXXX
BLOOD GROUP - XXXXXXXX
SHOE SIZE -XXXXXXXX
NEXT OF KIN -XXXXXXXX

.... but if you click on one to change it , instead of simply letting you type a new setting in , it takes you to another page , simply with a text box in it !! , how crap is that ? its like they are going out of their way to make things as difficult as humanly possible !!

And then when something is (obviously) wrong with the settings , all you know is that you have no mail ! , it doesn't TELL you what the problem is , it is down to you to hire a detective .... unlike the iPhone which verifies all your settings when you save them !
I realise we have progressed , but looking back , S60 was bloody awful !!

miffed
4th April 2009, 11:47 AM
Oh , and great to hear you are up and running again ! - That'll tech you to be patient ! :D
There must have been some positives with 3.0 ? . notice anything good ?

chagle
4th April 2009, 11:55 AM
When I used the N73, I couldn't believe how slow it was too through the menus. I had the FW replaced with vanilla FW too!

As for v3 FW, well I didn't give it enough of chance to find out. Far too buggy and slow - Tones didn't work very well - So within 5 - 10 minutes, had to get rid!

I'll be patient and wait for the official release! :p

Ben
4th April 2009, 12:24 PM
I think it may take Apple a while to get v3 right - they're making a lot of changes. Look how long it took to sort v2 to perfection!

Hands0n
4th April 2009, 12:28 PM
I'll be patient and wait for the official release! :p

Top man! :D

This is the thing with all beta software - it is meant to be what it is ... buggy as hell and slow with it. And thats okay if you're okay with it, and I'd probably have jumped at the chance with S60 firmware, it was so bad in production code! But the OS X software at its current state works so well that anything less is going to be a complete chore, for me.

I have no doubt that 3.0 will be every bit as tedious as 2.0 when it hit the streets, and I also suspect that it won't be long before we're at 3.2.1 LOL But, again for me, the 3.0 update offers two of the things that I most wanted, that being SMS Forwarding and MMS. Everything else, for me, is a bonus :)

I'll wait it out too. My iPhone is working so well that I really don't want to spoil the experience (the key to Apple's success).

chagle
4th April 2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, agreed. I suppose it's like opening a christmas present before christmas - But the present is a little disappointing.

At least it all works - although wasn't without it's issues; All self inflicted of course!

I wonder if they sell 'patience' on eBay -- I need some! :-)

getti
4th April 2009, 06:42 PM
I signed up for Simplicity today as my Voda one is about to end (got declined before) but accepted in store.

I will say sitting there surrounded by iPhone posters, accessories and staff with them the thought did enter my head that now i have O2 i CAN get an iPhone and soon get with the MMS feature I wanted as i can buy a PAYG one.

But then as i got talking to the guy in there (phone shop staff all know each other here) it was talked about the NEW iPhone and what specs they have had come into store and a rough launch date.

Now its got me thinking :confused::confused::confused:

Ben
4th April 2009, 08:04 PM
Hmm. Best wait until the new iPhone (and new software) is out before you make your move, IMHO.

chagle
4th April 2009, 09:15 PM
Yes best wait and see!

I hope they'll be doing upgrades *if* they do release a new iPhone.

Ben
5th April 2009, 12:24 AM
I think the upgrade avenues will be reasonably fair. O2 have a lot more iPhone customers now than they did the first time around - hopefully they'll be smart about things.

Hands0n
5th April 2009, 08:43 PM
O2 used the iPhone to manage their churn when the 3G came out. A lot of dissatisfaction with the 2G iPhone might have cost them churn when contracts finished. At that time, also, O2 had the spectre of the Googlephone lurking in the wings, always with the propensity to steal a large chunk of this new device's business.

None of that applies this time round. The G1 is a known quantity. The iPhone 3G was a bit of a success ;) so what would be O2's motivation for repeating a churn retention exercise?

I'm hopeful but not optimistic that history will repeat itself.

gorilla
5th April 2009, 09:25 PM
The iPhone 3G was a bit of a success ;) so what would be O2's motivation for repeating a churn retention exercise.

There is always the prospect that the iPhone wont be an O2 exclusive this time, will be available sim free from Apple (at a price!), but I think it would be a shock if O2 don't offer this as an upgrade to existing customers given as they would secure another 12 month contract extension.

gorilla
5th April 2009, 09:45 PM
O'dear! Think I've done something silly (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=iphone+3.0&_sacat=See-All-Categories) :-)

Is there no one on here who has a developer account? Is anyone prepared to sign up and share the love with your fellow talk3gers? Why don't we get a little co-op going and share the cost? There must be someone who is keen to try and develop an app? :D

Hands0n
6th April 2009, 07:19 PM
I have a Dev account but not the paid for version - only enough to get the SDK. If you have a gentle poke around the Rebel Simcard website you'll find a link for the new firmware, but you need a registration key (I think) to get it to load on your iPhone - I might be talking complete twaddle though :D