View Full Version : iPhone 3G... Sell Me It!

getti
5th April 2009, 02:00 PM
Ok i now have a O2 Simplicity contract and as i said the other day (i cant believe this) but the thought of getting an iPhone has entered my head for some reason. It will be a PAYG one as i want to keep a sim only for my test phones.

So here is everyone's BIG chance (mods especially).

Why should i get one
What is so good about it

Basically try to sell me on the idea of getting one if possible lol.

I know a new one is soon but those who know me know i cant wait for anything and would get something now and get the new one anyway so that wont matter

miffed
5th April 2009, 02:56 PM
You'll never really fully appreciate it till you have one TBH , the amount of people I know that used to give me all the "ugh , touchscreen , no MMS, boo hoo I can't swap videos with chavs outside off licences etc . "

...Then they bought one , and all those things simply went out the window ! and then they start telling ME about all the great things it does ! (The same things I had been telling them untill I was blue in the face and they still "didn't get" before:rolleyes: )
Obviously , the UI is second to none , there seems to be an app for all occasions - plenty of free ones too. all simple to download and install

Everything , but EVERYTHING you do in an iphone is simple and straightforward , the is no messing around with settings etc ,(or not that I've encountered )

Another huge difference is the lack of the "fiddly" factor , much as my old phones were "top of the range" and in relative terms , very capable , I have to be honest - If I was waiting for an important email or something , I may have glanced at it on my N95 /E90 / Ameo etc , but (unless it was simple , text only ) I'd invariably go over to the Computer to read it "properly" or do anything with it - Whereas with the iPhone I'll quite often read and respond to the message on the iPhone , of course most modern phones are capable of this , but the iphone is the only device i'd (in reality) find myself actually doing it on a regular basis

The only downside , is that you become very dis-interested / unimpressed by non iPhone devices , even very good ones , for a guy who runs a Nokia site , this could create a conflict for you ?

getti
5th April 2009, 03:15 PM
yeh i know what you mean. I am waiting on the N97 and N86 8MP to come out and there are lots of exciting Nokia phones due out end of the year too, that is something that is holding me back

Hands0n
5th April 2009, 03:43 PM
You see? That's the trouble. Once you've become immersed in iPhone there are [yet to be] no exciting Nokia handsets on the horizon.

As others have said before me it is the experience rather than the specific handset. The whole package of iPhone, iTunes and the wholesale integration with the computer (Mac or PC) and "cloud" has yet to be beaten by any other manufacturer.

The Google G1 comes a close second. Moreso than Nokia it has to be said.

For me it is Nokia's lackluster integration and the general tardy phone OS that puts me off. Their PC suite is clunky and very PC-only with not much, if anything on offer to other platforms. The same is true of most every other manufacturer.

Managing music, video, photos and apps in the iPhone world is a class act out ahead all by itself. Actually using the iPhone to do the simple stuff such as responding to Getti on here is a complete breeze, something I'd not even attempt on a Nokia. Email and SMS are similarly intuitive to set up and use.

If the iPhone OS release 3 delivers even a fraction of what is being touted then it will be head and shoulders in the capability stakes.

But what is the reason for it's success even with it's technical deficits is quite simply the overall experience. No amount of technical hoo haa is able to compete with that, as has amply been proven in the real world.

Those who do not actually get that simple fact are never going to be able to understand the iPhone's success. It's a right old paradox that has confounded all of the experts and analysts, especially those hell bent on dissing the little device :)

Sent from my iPhone

solo12002
5th April 2009, 07:54 PM
Getti

" Ok i now have a O2 Simplicity contract" Oh why, I thought T_Mobile were the bees knees? NOT that good then lol

getti
5th April 2009, 07:59 PM
cause i cancelled my Vodafone one and I wanted a backup for my T-Mobile one when at home.

Again it comes down to signal at home

gorilla
5th April 2009, 09:39 PM
This will throw the cat among the pigeons and maybe I've been using the iPhone too long, but I'm not sure I would buy one today.
Yes it's quite easy to use, but it's the extras that make this phone e.g. app store, itunes, mobile me, accessories. Now, if you just want a phone then I would say "don't bother". You need to assess how you will use it. Will you browse the net, watch youtube, play games, email, listen to music, watch video? If the answer is yes, then get an iPhone, if not then consider another device.

I'm quite bored with the iPhone now, the limitations do shine through, especially in light of 3.0 and potential new hardware. O2 need to offer upgrades to existing customers come July!!

getti
5th April 2009, 10:53 PM
Here is the problem i have.

I like the large screen
I love the idea of the App Store and Music Downloads
Its different from other phones I have had
The UI is very easy to pick up

But on the other hand

The camera is poor as i use for a lot of pictures
The N97 will smash the iPhone features (memory,camera etc..)
OVI Store is out soon too
Sim Free so i can use ANY SIM I like
Video calling camera

Really when it comes down to it im looking at the iPhone because its different. But is £400 worth spending out on 'something different' when in my mind the N97 will be better and out in about 2 months time for a bit more than that UNLOCKED

Ben
6th April 2009, 12:34 AM
I don't think you should get one. I'm quite happy having it all to myself :) At the end of the day, the relatively closed platform and moderate specs don't bother me because, being rather time limited, I'm happy to buy into the experience and adapt to Apple's interpretation of a mobile phone.

If you must get one, get it as an additional phone and plan to keep it indefinitely. When you get bored and need a fight, turn to your SIM free Nokia and network of your choice ;)

Hands0n
6th April 2009, 07:10 AM
Or get a Rebel Simcard and put the network SIM of your choice in.

The tech specs are irrelevant. Camera too unless you fancy yourself as a latter day Litchfield, in which case why use a cameraphone.

chaslam
6th April 2009, 07:53 AM
I wouldnt say the camera is irrelevant on a phone. I agree that all this MP war thats going higher and higher, thats irrelevant, but in terms of quality, I wouldnt say it is. I love my N82, simply because I can take it on a night out, use it as my phone, but also use it as my camera because the camera and flash on it is so good. At the end of the day, its what has brought the digital revolution to where it is today. Without cameras on peoples phones we wouldnt be able to take a picture and share it almost instantly with millions of other people, the same with video. They are never designed to be a camera replacement, but its nice that when you do see something that you want to snap, you can rely on your phone to give you a fairly decent quality image (although I do think its getting a bit ridiculous now with these 8 and 10MP cameras, we all know that MP is irrelevant over 5ish unless you want A4 or A3 size images).

The thing thats putting me off the iphone is, to me, its just really really bland. I HATE the onscreen keyboard, everyone has them, and (imo, not saying you guys) the majority of people who have them have them because they look nice. Also, out of 10 people I know that own one, 8 of them are on their 2nd 3rd of even 4th handset, because they have ALL gone wrong somehow or another. I have never ever had a phone thats gone wrong, and I intend to keep it that way.

gorilla
6th April 2009, 08:48 AM
I find the iPhone to be quite slow, but my memory is that selective that I can't remember the N80.
The main reason I wouldn't buy the iPhone now is, there may be new models coming in July, possibly a 32GB 3g beast and a more 'budget' version. All the rumours are talking about 2 or 3 models being released with different price points, making the iPhone similar to the iPod range.
Could you live with forking out £400 now, for the handset to be replaced in a few months?

I suppose, Getti being Getti, that's all he needs a handset to last ;)

Ben
6th April 2009, 09:56 AM
Also, out of 10 people I know that own one, 8 of them are on their 2nd 3rd of even 4th handset, because they have ALL gone wrong somehow or another. I have never ever had a phone thats gone wrong, and I intend to keep it that way.
Mhmmm... some replacements were merely for cosmetic issues which, for most other phones by most other manufacturers, wouldn't even be considered issues.

I do agree that the iPhone 3G has been relatively prone to problems, especially the initial run. However, no one can deny that Apple have been absolutely fantastic in replacing defective (and even cosmetically blemished) handsets - Apple stores have been replacing iPhone 3G's without a receipt even when they weren't purchased at that store, and allowing iPhone 3G customers to skip the Genius queue.

Hands0n
6th April 2009, 12:02 PM
My big issue with the cameraphone wars (nice one chaslam :) ) is that it detracts from all the other features that a mobile gets used for. In order to get a decent camera and flash sacrifices are being made to hard-won things like battery life. I'd rather the iPhone's camera than some juice-sapping 8MPxl xenon flash-equipped monster.

I do observe that the kids today carry cameras to their nights out rather than rely upon a phone. They seem to use the phones camera as a last resort.

One has to wonder also at the benefit of taking a 3+ MPxl picture for it to then be scaled down to MMS proportions for transmission. Something that does not happen to emailed photos.

solo12002
6th April 2009, 09:13 PM
Well I personal think the ovi thing is crap. I ve been on the site and its allmost like a from page with hyperlinks takig you to other pages, its slow, the email is crap who wants a email username etc at ovi.com, makes me wonder why they just dint mass sell nokia email like mobile me, and ovi is no were near mobile me to start with.

As for the nokia N97 its online at: £275.

http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku=3893521&culture=en-GB

chaslam
7th April 2009, 11:14 AM
Erm, thats the N79, not the N97?

Ben
7th April 2009, 12:00 PM
Lol, blimey, they still want £335.00 for my Nokia N95 8GB. Nearer £400 for Comes With Music.

solo12002
7th April 2009, 06:39 PM
Erm, thats the N79, not the N97? well spotted, nice to see you read my posts!!

lol

hecatae
8th April 2009, 09:20 PM
sell you the iphone?

contract or outright?

£24.50 over 24 months seems a fantastic price

miffed
9th April 2009, 10:47 AM
Wonder if we'll see a sudden price drop to clear stocks , like we saw with the 2G just before the 3G launch ?

I agree with the previous post , often people throw up this "overpriced" argument against the iPhone , but IMO it holds no water whatsoever !

Ben
9th April 2009, 12:30 PM
I think including MobileMe in the contract would make the whole package the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. But, given that nobody achieves perfection out there, this is a very small grumble.

Technically there has already been a price drop, ish, with the 'free on the 24 month contract' deal. I hope we see something more significant towards the launch of the new unit, though I suspect with the iPhone 3G being available in many more markets than the original Apple will have few problems shifting stock now without resorting to heavy discounts.

The Mullet of G
24th February 2010, 11:07 PM
My big issue with the cameraphone wars (nice one chaslam :) ) is that it detracts from all the other features that a mobile gets used for. In order to get a decent camera and flash sacrifices are being made to hard-won things like battery life. I'd rather the iPhone's camera than some juice-sapping 8MPxl xenon flash-equipped monster.

I do observe that the kids today carry cameras to their nights out rather than rely upon a phone. They seem to use the phones camera as a last resort.

One has to wonder also at the benefit of taking a 3+ MPxl picture for it to then be scaled down to MMS proportions for transmission. Something that does not happen to emailed photos.

Was just reading through old posts and spotted this and though I'd chime in to disagree....well no point bucking my usual trend. As someone who frequents a lot of music festivals, gigs and nights out I haven't seen the same trend as you are reporting. At every event I've been to in the last few years there is always a sea of camera phones being held aloft to take photos/videos, and relatively few proper cameras.

I also wouldn't agree that having a decent camera is a major battery issue, and even if it was most phones besides iPhone have a removable battery so you can carry a spare. Personally I've attended a lot of 3 and 4 day music events, and I've managed to take a lot of photos and videos before I need to change battery.

For a lot of people having at least a half decent camera on their phone is important, and its silly to dismiss that and try to justify why they should get an iPhone instead. I agree with what someone said earlier, its all down to how you intend to use the phone, and if the camera is important to you then iPhone really isn't going to cut the mustard.