View Full Version : KU990 Viewty - Is the camera any good? Yes and No

Hands0n
12th April 2009, 05:02 PM
I recently picked up an LG KU990 Viewty from CPW, the discussion and details are on this Talk3G thread (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6545), I won't go into it here.

However, what I did want to touch on briefly was the Viewty's camera, a 5 megapixel job that was, in its day, fairly unique. If I recall correctly the only other camera of matching spec was the Nokia N95.

The Viewty's is an ISO800 sensor with image stabilizer and lens by Schneider-Kreuznach, quite serious optics for a cameraphone. In use as a camera the Viewty actually looks like any high-street compact digital camera, all of the phone bits are on the "back" of the camera (or is it that the camera is on the back of the phone :D ).

I decided to grab a few stills and a video taken at the highest capability of the camera. The day was overcast but bright, there was no direct sunlight which is pretty ideal conditions for taking pictures. Light levels and contrasts were all nice and even. So a quick trip out into the garden and the main road nearby was called for. I wanted to take both nature and industrial images for comparison.

I was suitably impressed with the stills, they are accurate if not just a touch over-bright in the natural shots. I think this adds value to the image though and takes nothing away from it. The high quality optics are apparent when zooming in portions of the image where pixellation occurs only at quite large magnifications.

The video shoot left me wanting more. I cant help but be left with the feeling that the digital imaging for video is a very poor second cousin to the stills. I found the video of not much more than VHS quality, if that even. Even when not panning the focus was very soft, to the point of rendering car numberplates completely indistinct. It was very disappointing and I feel that the video capability could not be used for anything more than when needs really dictate - i.e. that there are no other sources of video recording to hand.

Well thats enough of my twitterings, judge for yourself at my Talk3G set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21369022@N05/sets/72157616666673146/) on Flickr. The 60-second video is also there to be seen.

The Slideshow is also available from this link here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21369022@N05/sets/72157616666673146/show/with/3434052711/)

miffed
13th April 2009, 01:23 PM
Well having just looked at the pics and Video , I am quite impressed TBH -
Not saying it is a stunning device, but I think those pics and that Video are amazing for a £100 phone ! - I also like the idea of the direct upload to youtube , and the slow-motion thingy

Actually contemplating one of these now , for sole use as a casual camera / Video camera.

Hands0n
13th April 2009, 02:34 PM
Actually contemplating one of these now , for sole use as a casual camera / Video camera.

Thats the thing - I was using a similar reasoning. As a stills camera it is right up there with a lot of the budget range around that £100 price. None of them do video very much better, they're not really supposed to.

The Xenon flash does so much better a job than those high intensity LEDs in most cameraphones. The electronics do a great job of balancing the contrast in dark flash scenes - redeye reduction is spot on.

But having the phone glued onto the back of the camera is a bit of a bonus. Its a respectable phone, the touchscreen is sensitive but curiously "different" to use. I expect iPhone and G1 users to have a bit of trouble with the UI as did I initially :D

chagle
13th April 2009, 06:37 PM

I have to admit, the LD Arena does look quite good - the from what I've seen of the 'Home Screen' - Looks very much like the iPhone with the square icons and all.

Wouldn't mind trying of of those.. as a play phone/toy!

Hands0n
13th April 2009, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't mind trying of of those.. as a play phone/toy!

Not available on PAYG yet, but I'll have to stick it down on my "hmmmm, interesting" list :) One to watch maybe.

I did mention it in my other thread on this handset - the CPW one that I bought is unlocked and unbranded SIM-free too.

Edit: The BBC have a short video review of the Arena here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7977206.stm

miffed
13th April 2009, 07:29 PM
LOL , fortunately I have / had a Prada , so I sort of know what to expect !

Also looking interesting , is the Samsung Omnia HD , Unfortunately it is hindered by Symbian S60 , but nonetheless looks interesting with is large , bright , capacitive OLED touchscreen , Just watched a review on "the smartphones show" , and it looked snappy ! , but there was some problem with the text input (for Steve Litchfield to admit an imperfection on a potential iPhone rival Symbian device , means it must be ONE HELL of a glitch IMO )
....But still interesting

chagle
13th April 2009, 08:32 PM
Edit: The BBC have a short video review of the Arena here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7977206.stm

Looks interesting, just a bit clunky. Although I think Apples iPhone could take a note or two about the UI. Swiping from one springboard to another is getting a little boring now after seeing other touch phone! Come on Apple.

I like the way the Arena handles this.

Hands0n
13th April 2009, 08:55 PM
....I think Apples iPhone could take a note or two about the UI. ...

Burn the Heretic ;)

chagle
13th April 2009, 08:58 PM
... there I've said it! I'll go back under my stone now! Don't get me wrong, I'm a iPhone-atic (sp?) all the way but need more stimulation! LOL.

Hands0n
13th April 2009, 09:20 PM
... .. but need more stimulation! LOL.

Amen to that. Oh I hear ya loud and clear :) After near on two years of use the iPhone UI is beginning to feel a bit dated LOL

chagle
13th April 2009, 09:24 PM
Phew got away with that without being thrashed! Glad it's not just me!

Hands0n
13th April 2009, 09:35 PM
LOL, its not just you. Speaking for myself but also thinking that I am not alone in my sentiment I think the iPhone has been a bit of a spoiler in many ways. When you've had the best what else is there?

For someone of my tech disposition I am really hard pressed to find a successor to the iPhone that is likely to be anything other than the 3rd generation product anticipated in June this year.

It is not simply the handset but, as I've voiced before, the entire Apple experience on the device. It is incomprehensible to those who've not experienced it and, perhaps more importantly, exploited it. So much so that even glaring omissions like SMS forwarding, MMS and a low-grade camera without flash do not detract - in fact become insignificant!

chagle
13th April 2009, 09:39 PM
So much so that even glaring omissions like SMS forwarding, MMS and a low-grade camera without flash do not detract - in fact become insignificant!

Likewise! Before the iPhone, I was all about the best/latest camera with this, that and the other. But for nearly a year now, I have managed without. Have I missed these things? a little - but I've coped! :-)

3g-g
13th April 2009, 10:38 PM
right, am I missing something here? I've had a Viewty, it was terrible! slow OS, such poor feeback from the plastic screen, and the picture quality was just beyond awful! grainy, terrible colour rendition, I'll admit shooting in 120fps was fun for filming my mental mutt running towards me... for 5 minutes, then I was bored of that. what gives?

Hands0n
14th April 2009, 12:02 AM
I dunno? Going by what I have been able to find out the early Viewty was plagued by LG's usual software problems. If anyone recalls their early U8110 and suchlike on 3 they were dire until at least two or three versions of the firmware later.

The Viewty seems to have been similarly afflicted, with early firmware being pretty much all that you describe. But the latest (last?) version 10g firmware seems to have sorted out much of the rot. BTW, the 'g' at the end signifies a "brand" of version 10 firmware. There are other letters that reflect each of the mobile network operators. The 'g' version is unbranded and operator independent.

The Viewty screen is as responsive as it is ever going to be. It is primitive by iPhone and G1 standards, being a pressure sensitive soft plastic layer on top of the glass. It wouldn't last two seconds in a pocket with a bunch of keys. Whatever you do, don't do the iPhone show-off with it by scraping a key heavily across the "glass".

You can see the picture quality for yourself by visiting the links in the opening post of this thread. I promise you they are 100% direct lifts from the SD card of the Viewty. I have not processed them in any way - which is why I put them on Flickr (we have a size limitation on Talk3G that would have forced me to tamper with the image file).

So, all I can suggest is that the firmware has resolved all of the issues that you experienced - and I can say that you wouldn't have been on your own.

Perhaps a valuable lesson is to stay away from LG handsets until they're on two or three revisions of the firmware on from the initial release.

Ben
14th April 2009, 12:30 AM
There's a certain irony if this handset is better now that it's bargain basement than it was when people were shelling out serious money for it (even if subsidised)!

maxspank
14th April 2009, 01:50 AM
The video would be fine if the framerate was better. The pics are nice, I wish my 5mpx camera took shots as half as decent as that.

Hands0n
14th April 2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, the video quality is barely watchable on anything larger than the Viewty's own screen. The N95 does a great deal better than the Viewty in that respect. But so far I cannot locate any N95s going for a penny under a £Ton :D

3GScottishUser
15th April 2009, 04:56 PM
I have had the LG U990 Viewty for 18 months now and have really enjoyed it. It has some flaws but they are common to all touch screen phones.

The Viewty has a good user interface and its touch screen is one of the best I have used. It only lacks Wi-Fi, other than that it has a great camera, produces high quality video and has qwerty keyboard (touch screen) and every modern feature one would expect on a £400 SIM free Nokia for £150 or less now on PAYG.

The new LG Renoir and Arena are similar but more expensive of course.

The Viewty represents amazing value for money when compared with the competeion. The camera is the big selling point with Panorama feature and a really sharp and clear image when used at 5MP.

N-Joy.

PS: I'm keeping mine with its new touch screen (which I fitted) as a secondary PAYG handset. :)