View Full Version : 80% of Internet Useless on Mobiles - Gareth Jones

3GScottishUser
26th May 2005, 06:15 PM
From Silicon republic (25/05/2005):

Commenting on the 'walled garden' (aka limited connectivity) “Some 80pc of what you can do on the internet [with a mobile device] is unusable,” says 3’s chief operating officer Gareth Jones. This was stated in the run up to the launch of the 3 Ireland service which will feature handsets from NEC and LG apparently.....

God help the Irish!

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single4879

miffed
27th May 2005, 08:28 AM
Ah , so they are doing us / the Irish a favour by having a walled garden ? yeah , OK Gareth , whatever you say :rolleyes: Can't beleive they are trying to use the walled garden as a selling point - All the other providers provide prepackaged "content" which is optimised for Mobiles SHOULD THE CUSTOMER WANT IT , so it's not like Three are offering anything extra - The walled garden is a RESTRICTION , nothing more

Every time some idiot at Three makes comments like this it makes my blood boil - Does Gareth Jones have a laptop ? OK so your poor excuse for a network cannot / will not handle data , but please drop the nanny act and stop trying to tell us we don't need it - Because if you NEED data access , you need it ! end of story - no amount of Gareth Jones pretending
you don't will change that

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3GScottishUser
27th May 2005, 09:35 AM
One wonders which net work 3's executives use to get Internet access when they travel the country. We know which one they cant use.

Do they have a few compeditors datacards available? Used to assess product/service of course!!

bsrjl1
27th May 2005, 10:37 AM
No they use 3 with a corporate APN. There is an internet one, just not available for the general unwashed!

Jon3G
27th May 2005, 11:26 AM
its justs 3 UK blind view of what mobile email is all about

Hands0n
27th May 2005, 01:38 PM
Attempting to justify the unjustifiable in the face of competition that they cannot or will not meet. Their choice of course, but it is irritating in the extreme to be treated with quite such contempt for our own intelligence. Intelligence that some 60% appear to be using to decide not to renew with Three. Go on then Gareth, tell us what that is all about then! Grrrrrrrrrr Dont get me started or I'll start swearing ........... feck!