View Full Version : A 3G phone without a camera? YES!!!

3GScottishUser
26th May 2005, 06:26 PM
From CIO Today (26/05/2005):

NTT DoCoMo will stop developing new second-generation (2G) cellular phone handsets after two or so new models are released this year, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun learned Wednesday.

The leading Japanese cell phone service provider, which develops handsets for its services in cooperation with manufacturers, wants to concentrate business resources on its FOMA third-generation (3G) service.

Two or so mova brand handsets slated for release this year will likely be the last of the new 2G handsets to be put out by DoCoMo.

NEC , Panasonic and others that codevelop handsets with DoCoMo already have halted R&D operations for new mova handsets.

While some 92 percent of customers at rival KDDI are subscribers to the firm's 3G service, FOMA users accounted for just around 25 percent of DoCoMo's overall customers as of the end of April.

In an attempt to prop up its 3G service, DoCoMo in February released handsets about 10,000 yen (US$92) cheaper than existing models typically priced around 35,000 yen.

It intends to expand its 3G handset lineup further by starting to add new models, including one without camera functions and another featuring music player functions, in summer or later.

DoCoMo also plans to double handset suppliers to about 10 to boost competition and bring down prices. The company's decision to focus on 3G handsets also benefits suppliers because they can consolidate their R&D efforts.

http://www.cio-today.com/news/DoCoMo-Halts-2G-Handset-Production/story.xhtml?story_id=12200002LAHE

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 08:27 AM
I think this is a great idea...

Don't get me wrong, a camera-phone is a good idea (hell, ALL of my phones have cameras)- not everyone carries a camera around with them or has access to a camera 24/7, so it's handy to have one in your phone (something most people DO carry with them everywhere) for those spontaneous moments.

If you're like me though, it's only a moderately-important feature; the only two things I really use my camera for is photo

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 08:32 AM
caller ID (probably the best new feature in a LONG time!) and spontaneous moments when I don't have a camera with me or access to one...

To me, data is a more important function. All of my phones are used primarily for data, and I'll avoid phone calls if I can, prefering to rely on E-Mail...

If there was a full-fledged Sony Ericsson 12MP camera-phone available and a Windows Mobile Pocket PC with integrated Phone Capabilities available, I would

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 08:37 AM
choose the Windows Mobile Pocket PC with Integrated Phone Capabilities without hesitation as it allows me to send and receive E-Mail messages (with virtually ANY attachment!), access the mobile Internet (WAP) AND the "full" Internet, chat wirelessly and much, much more...

All at speeds comparable to a broadband Internet connection on a desktop computer!

Bring on the mobile office I say, and leave the camera for the kids...