View Full Version : 3 UK Scrap Top-Up for Skype Users

3GScottishUser
23rd April 2009, 06:57 PM
*Hutchison 3G UK (3 UK) has announced that it will offer unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and instant messages at no charge to anyone with a 3 SIM card. Starting from next month, there will be no data charges or top-up fees for either contract or pay-as-you-go customers who use Skype on 3’s UK network. Anyone with a 3 UK branded Skype-enabled handset will be able to buy a 3 SIM and talk as much as they want to other Skype users without ever having to pay another penny.

All new customers will need is a pay-as-you-go SIM from 3 costing £1.99, which can be used, initially in any Skype-compatible 3 handset.

During the summer, 3 will expand its offer making it possible for anyone with a compatible unlocked 3G handset in the UK, to take advantage of free Skype calls, whether or not their phone is from 3 UK.

Kevin Russell, Chief Executive Officer of 3 UK, said “Communication through the internet is exploding. Internet calling or VoIP, social networking, instant messaging and email are used by millions in the UK every single day. They are open to all on their PCs and laptops. We want people to be free to communicate from their mobiles in the same way as they do from their PCs.

“In future you will be able to buy a 3 SIM for unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls for less than the price of a cup of coffee and talk for as much as you want without ever paying us another penny. We won’t ask you for a top-up or a monthly commitment. If you want to talk on a mobile for free, just join us and give it a go. This is for everyone.”

Currently, 3 UK’s Skype userbase generates 1.5 million minutes of free Skype-to-Skype calls every day.

3 UK has found that regular Skype users are less likely to churn than non-Skype users and use more traditional voice minutes than non-Skype users in addition to calling their Skype contacts. They use Skype IM, but also send more SMS than non-Skype users and are generally higher margin customers for the mobile network operator.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/37148.php

gorilla
23rd April 2009, 07:54 PM
I think this is a fantastic offering. Ok you may not know many people on skype, but must of have an unlocked 3g handset lying around that you could throw a 3 sim into. I'll do just that and leave my skype phone in the house, so my folks (who live just down the road!!) can call me for free. I'll tell them that if I don;t answer the skype phone I'm out and not to call the mobile! :)

Hands0n
23rd April 2009, 08:32 PM
Woa, this is interesting ... was my first thought. And then I remembered that I have had to throw one of my two Skypephones in the bin because 3's CS would not replace/repair under warranty unless I could prove where I purchased it from. I couldn't as it was a gift from Kevin Russel at the launch ... The other Skypephone is in a box somewhere, and will be staying there ... I'm not getting my hopes up only for 3's CS to dash them onto the rocks yet again.

Sorry Kevin, no sale here chum.