View Full Version : O2 PAYG iPhone tariff with free Web and WiFi for 12 months

Hands0n
26th April 2009, 11:13 AM
Oh wow! I'm sure that I have seen this before, but for some reason completely ignored it!!

If you get an O2 iPhone PAYG SIM, as opposed to any regular O2 SIM, you will get an automatic 12-months free bundle of Web and WiFi. The deal is you need to top up the PAYG SIM at least once and for a minimum £10. After that there is no further need to to up unless you want to add minutes and texts for normal use. For the next 12 months the SIM is active for Web and WiFi.

Now this is an amazing deal if you get your iPhone SIM from the likes of eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-iPhone-3G-Pay-Go-Sim-Card-FREE-INTERNET-AND-WIFI_W0QQitemZ360149673972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo bile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV?hash=item36014967397 2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1308), often for less than £3!

The only thing I am not sure of is whether or not they can tell if you've activated an iPhone 2G (a good way of using the older device). I cant see how they could, given that their 3G is so marginal across the country there must be lots of people who are effectively "stuck" on 2G just to get their 3G iPhones to work at all ...

iPhone for Pay & Go is now available
Pay & Go customers can now enjoy the iPhone 3G without a monthly contract. The new iPhone 3G 8GB for Pay & Go will be available for £342.33 and the 16GB version for £391.27.

This also includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 12 months after you activate your iPhone 3G*. At the end of the 12 months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. We'll notify you before the end of the 12 month period by text and you can easily unsubscribe if you choose to do so.

You'll need to use the new SIM card that comes with the iPhone 3G to get your 12 months of unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi access. If you're already with O2 Pay & Go, you can easily transfer your existing number and balance to your new iPhone SIM by completing this form. Please note visual voicemail and call merging are not available with Pay & Go. You'll also need to change your data settings to use services such as Mobile Internet. Find out how to change your data settings.

*Unlimited data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only, subject to excessive usage policy. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud or BT Openzone. Terms apply.

Source: http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

miffed
5th May 2009, 09:28 AM
Also keep in mind it is quite possible(and recommended by Apple & o2 IIRC) that you can turn off 3G as an option in the interest of battery life , I think it even goes as far as mentioning it on the device itself by the switch

No , I think you'd be fine - Did you get one of these Handson ?

Hands0n
5th May 2009, 12:27 PM
Did you get one of these Handson ?

:) No I didn't in the end. But if I come to sell the 2G then I'll probably get one of these to incentivise any potential buyer ;)