View Full Version : Anyone using iPhone 3.0

a_ukboy
26th April 2009, 03:01 PM
Just a quick couple of questions, I can't get mms working, infact u can't even find it? The mms app is not supported with 3.0 so now I'm back to no mms at all.. And second how do you get copy and paste to work? Thanks

Hands0n
26th April 2009, 03:28 PM
Just a quick couple of questions, I can't get mms working, infact u can't even find it? The mms app is not supported with 3.0 so now I'm back to no mms at all.. And second how do you get copy and paste to work? Thanks

I reckon the best thing is to watch the WWDC presentation, there is a link from one of the posts on here, where the Cut n Paste is demonstrated. Its fairly easy.

MMS will not work unless O2 switch it on, which they won't for the current iPhone users until 3.0 is out ... Although some have got it working somehow ...

a_ukboy
26th April 2009, 04:00 PM
Hmmmm, strange thing is if I put my iPhone sim into my N95 I can send and recieve mms no problem, so in that case it must be activated on my account?? It's also like the function is missing from the handset, i have mms switched on in settings, so come on guys that managed to get it, how did u do it??

Hands0n
26th April 2009, 04:08 PM
I suspect that it will be your MMS settings in the iPhone itself that need establishing. I've not got 3.0 so cannot answer your specific question. However, if you look around filesaveas.com you can often find what you need..

The o2 MMS settings can be sent direct to your mobile. Go to www.o2.co.uk/services/ota4/select.

Alternatively, the settings are:

Access point name: wap.o2.co.uk (contract customers) or payandgo.o2.co.uk (pay-as-you-go customers)
Username: o2wap (contract customers) or payandgo (pay-as-you-go customers)
Password: password
Authentication: Normal
Data bearer: GPRS
Gateway IP (proxy) address: 193.113.200.195
Session mode: Permanent
Port number: 8080 or 9201
URL address: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

Source: http://www.filesaveas.com/mms.html

So the question is, with 3.0 software are you able to enter in these specific settings or do you need an auto-setup from O2 (see http://getsettings.o2.co.uk/ServeSettingsWebApp/ )

chagle
26th April 2009, 07:01 PM
MMS will not work unless O2 switch it on, which they won't for the current iPhone users until 3.0 is out ... Although some have got it working somehow ...

Actually they will! :)

O2 will switch on MMS if you make some story up! i.e. you've got a 2nd phone that supports MMS and at weekends this is your 'going out' phone and want to have the MMS facility.

Agreed it depends who you talk to - But it only took me one phone call. I have used it successfully with SwirleyMMS.

:-)

Hands0n
26th April 2009, 07:16 PM
Actually they will! :)

Reeeesult :D

Its really painful waiting out for 3.0 but ... I've got sufficient nails left to keep me going until then ;)

a_ukboy
26th April 2009, 08:46 PM
Swirleymms? What's that and how do you get it? Chagle is yours a jailbroken or 3.0?

chagle
26th April 2009, 08:53 PM
Hi there.

Well kinda been there and got the t-shirt :-)

I JB'ed the phone and found it great - a novelty, but great. There's some good Apps out there (on Cydia).

You can get SwirlyMMS via Cydia if you're phone is JB'ed. It's quite good actually - Does what it says on the Tin as long as you've got the settings correct - but this has been made easy as Swirly has a config wizard and the defaults for O2 usually work.

But I also went one step further a month or so ago - I got v3.0 for my phone. I installed it - It was too buggy and slow. So went back - But that wasn't without hassle.

So back to v2.2.1 software. I do like to experiment - sometimes that's not a good thing! LOL.

a_ukboy
26th April 2009, 10:15 PM
Ok got MMS working on my iphone 3.0.. Got the o2 mms setting put on my iphone, Here's how i did it...

Go to files.me.com/baker.rk/dvah0m password mmi
Save to desktop
open itunes and plug in iphone
push shift and check for update together
select ipcc file this contains o2 settings and only takes a couple of seconds
restart iphone

Now you should have the option to send pictures via mms and when you type a text you can see a little camera icon, select that and it allows you to attach a pic to the message converting it to mms :-)

Hands0n
26th April 2009, 11:05 PM
Nice one - a good find :) Probably a worthwhile keep for after 3.0 is out officially too, a means of recovering the settings if they get trashed for any reason.

a_ukboy
27th April 2009, 09:38 AM
Well it worked last night, no can't send, it fails and just get a text notification on recieving one!! Strange it's like o2 have found out and now blocking it

MrBriz
27th April 2009, 02:42 PM
@a_ukboy How did you get 3.0? Apple Dev Program?

If you are signed up the the Apple Dev. Program what's it like? Have you developed any iPhone apps as it's something I'm looking at doing. What's the SDK like, and what kind of programming knowledge do you need.

BTW everyone I got fed up with the insurance company and brought myself a new iPhone on payG and then put the contract sim in! :D

I also converted my girlfriend over (after she got pissy at me because I had spent money on a new phone) and her brother! I'm converting the world one iPhone at a time... that's now 4 converts to my name! :D

a_ukboy
27th April 2009, 03:36 PM
A friend of a friend is an Apple developer, he just added my UDID (think that's what it's called) to his developer account and I'm able to access 3.0..

Must say I quite like it, so far it's very smooth running and no crashes!

I have noticed that some developers on eBay will do basically the same thing for approx £5

Ben
27th April 2009, 04:59 PM
Welcome back to the fray, MrBriz! :D :D

Glad to hear 3.0 is running well for you, a_ukboy. I'm certainly not in a position to do Apple's beta testing for them with my current iPhone, but I'm very much looking forward to the finished article.

chagle
27th April 2009, 05:17 PM
I have noticed that some developers on eBay will do basically the same thing for approx £5

They do indeed and some for 99p! (Been there got the t-shirt!!) LOL

Hands0n
27th April 2009, 09:37 PM
If you are signed up the the Apple Dev. Program what's it like? Have you developed any iPhone apps as it's something I'm looking at doing. What's the SDK like, and what kind of programming knowledge do you need.

You can join the Apple Dev Program for free if you don't want [yet] to send your app to a real iPhone. The SDK has a pretty good iPhone emulator that can be used to debug your application.

If you go down this route grab yourself a copy of the latest Idiots Guide to developing on the iPhone - make sure it is the latest - I made the mistake of getting an older copy that referenced XCode 2 which is no good as we're now on XCode 3 which is totally different.

The SDK is superb, its a very exciting environment to use.

The next trick is to learn Objective-C which is not exactly C, although it is founded on it. The Objective part of it makes it a breeeze to use, although not for the timid :D

Oh, and welcome back - a stirling effort sir, even if it is one iPhone at a time :D :D

gorilla
27th April 2009, 09:55 PM
Well, I succumbed, and acquired 3.0! As you'd expect (as a seasoned jailbreaker by now) the update was painless. I've not had much of a chance to play with it yet, but it looks promising and not laggy at all. As I said many times before, the main reason I JB was because of the SMS app, but that seems to be a big improvement now. I'll update after I've played with it some more.

gorilla
28th April 2009, 01:16 PM
Ok, I've played with 3.0 now. That's all I can say.

Oh, alright :) it is better than 2.2.1. Seems faster, certainly boots faster, the new search feature is nifty, the voice memo is cool, and the ipod has been given a boost. There is not a massive change here for people, pretty much operates exactly the same as the previous versions (which is presumanly why Apple are successful), but it does seem more impressive.
Let me explain: There are lots of minor tweaks which does provide a better user experience.
I would speculate that this is very close to a final release (based on look and feel), so possibly another 2 beta / RC releases before the new iPhone launches? Maybe not even that, given that Apple has released its previous firmware upgrades which weren't exactly 'final'! :mad:

MrBriz
28th April 2009, 04:39 PM
Well I've finally signed up for the developer program and paid apple more money :D Jesus I should have some kind of direct debit to apple so that I can spread the cost of my purchases!

Well just waiting on the activation email now, then I will download the 3.0 SDK. I'm assuming once I've downloaded the SDK that will contain the beta 3.0 software for the iPhone?

I'm also assuming that all my apps etc will still be on the phone or will it be a fresh install? I don't really want to have to resync all my apps/music etc... but if I must..

Hands0n
29th April 2009, 12:03 AM
You will have to download the SDK and the iPhone update to 3.0 separately, but all the links and stuff you need are in the Dev Program pages and easy to reach.

I went for the no-pay option, so I can dev and play on the simulator only. Once I've got my coding skills up to scratch (again!) I'll go pay for the full monty.

I know what you mean about being a lifetime subscriber to Apple :D

MrBriz
29th April 2009, 08:55 AM
@a_ukboy/gorilla just wondering.... when you put 3.0 on the phone did you lose all you SMS's, recent calls, general settings? Is it like getting a new phone? Purely because all the info I've got I want to keep, so I'd rather just do development in the emulator if that's the case.

If you don't lose any of that info do you think it's worth putting 3.0 on. I have it on my macbook now, along with the new itunes so I'm ready to go :D

gorilla
29th April 2009, 10:24 AM
You need to backup your existing iphone, then when you install 3.0, itunes will (eventually, once its all installed!) ask if you want to setup the iphone as either a new phone or from a backup. Select backup as this will retain all your previous settings, messages etc.

MrBriz
29th April 2009, 10:54 AM
That's all I needed to read... *Clicks Restore*..... and we're off!

MrBriz
29th April 2009, 12:21 PM
Almost there.... had to figure out how to register the device as a developer device in my account, that took me at least 30 minutes of searching!

It's just syncing photos. Once that's done all I have to put in is about a billion tracks of music (well about 12.02GB. That's all the Now albums. From 1 - 72!)

Ben
29th April 2009, 03:38 PM
That's all the Now albums. From 1 - 72!)
Lmao, seriously? Wow, there must be some interesting tracks in there...

MrBriz
30th April 2009, 11:30 AM
Lmao, seriously? Wow, there must be some interesting tracks in there...

There are. Unfortunately I'm only able to fit 15-72 on because I have my entire photo library on the phone as well.

a_ukboy
2nd June 2009, 09:17 PM
I've heard that the official 3.0 release is now set for Monday 8th June, anyone else heard this?

Hands0n
2nd June 2009, 11:15 PM
Usually we see the new release of software on the date of the Apple WWDC, so its all very hopeful.

I notice that iTunes 8.2 supports iPhone software 3.0 and that it is now being promoted to Mac computers via their Software Update utility.

iTunes 8.2 now supports iPhone or iPod touch with the iPhone 3.0 Software Update. iTunes 8.2 also includes many accessibility improvements and bug fixes.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

So I think it safe to assume that 3.0 is very much on its way :)