View Full Version : Iphone 3.0 beta 4 now avaliable!!

a_ukboy
29th April 2009, 05:52 PM
Just downloading now, this update requires itunes 8.2 pre-release installed first..

Will let you know how i get on..

chagle
29th April 2009, 07:19 PM
Just downloading now, this update requires itunes 8.2 pre-release installed first..

Will let you know how i get on..

Good luck! :D

How do you get hold of iTunes 8.2?

a_ukboy
29th April 2009, 08:03 PM
Good luck! :D

How do you get hold of iTunes 8.2?

Thanks, i got the 8.2 pre-release throught the Apple developers program, don't think it'll go on general release until 3.0 gets released, not really played with it so can't report on any new features it may have!!

3.0 Beta 4 was simple to install, but as yet have not seen any difference from beta 3.. Maybe just more reliable!

I've found 3.0 to be generally good, not really suffered any phone crashes, and the forwarding texts, copy and paste to be a big benifit, the only downside i've seen to 3.0 is that some apps crash with it, even after re-installing them, maybe that will get sorted over the next few months as the developers release updates to their apps!!
And the other thing i miss is the MMS, although i now have it on my iphone it still doesn't work, after many calls with o2 they have said that MMS is not compatible with iphone tariffs, and as yet have no plans to introduce this :mad: Hope i've been given wrong info on that?? I did use to use the MMS app but that's not working with 3.0 with a message popping up saying so when opening the app, maybe that will also get sorted with an update..

If i find any difference with 3.0 beta 4 while playing with my iphone i will post them on here!!

gorilla
29th April 2009, 08:30 PM
I've installed the beta 4 as well. I'm happy with 3.0 so far, it is an improvement over 2.2.1.
Id forgotten about copy and paste and the landscape mail lol.

a_ukboy
29th April 2009, 09:37 PM
Have noticed that the internet tethering works a treat on Beta 4, couldn't get that woking at all on the beta 3 version, kept telling me to contact o2 cs!!

So there's my first improvement :)

chagle
29th April 2009, 10:38 PM
And the other thing i miss is the MMS, although i now have it on my iphone it still doesn't work, after many calls with o2 they have said that MMS is not compatible with iphone tariffs, and as yet have no plans to introduce this :mad: Hope i've been given wrong info on that??

Yes and no - I used the excuse that at weekends I use a Nokia phone and often take photos and would like to be able to send MMS - I made one phone and they activated MMS straight away.. although it took a few hours to start working.

It depends who you speak to.

Worth trying again..

chagle
29th April 2009, 10:39 PM
Wondering whether I should installed v3.0 b4? It's more stable than b3? Need convincing! :-)

gorilla
29th April 2009, 10:43 PM
Well I had beta 3 for 2 days (at most!) and I've had 4 for a few hours...

Of course you should install 4, what are you waiting for? :)

chagle
29th April 2009, 10:45 PM
Of course you should install 4, what are you waiting for? :)

:rolleyes:

MrBriz
30th April 2009, 11:33 AM
OK, just wondering about MMS. I cannot see any way to add photos in the Messages app. Am I missing something? Do I have to get O2 to enable MMS before I see the icon?

I'm assuming they'll just send a message to the phone with the MMS settings in, like they used to on other phones.

Ben
30th April 2009, 11:43 AM
I think you have to load an operator specific configuration file to get MMS... or something like that. Idk, one of the intelligent members will know :p

gorilla
30th April 2009, 12:48 PM
I have no idea, to be honest I've given up on MMS. I don't think any of my mates are using it any more either. I think we're going to have to get to a stage where there is just a message app. One that can send short messages, but also emails, and attachments. It's all data afterall. Instant Messenger integration would be a bonus as well.

Of course, you could always just ring someone :)

Back to 3.0, I'm starting to like it. There's just something about it, that makes it more impressive than v2. Having said that, I've not discovered many of the new features, does this mean that this is the ultimate OS for me? Gawd, I hope not!!

a_ukboy
30th April 2009, 03:35 PM
I think you have to load an operator specific configuration file to get MMS... or something like that. Idk, one of the intelligent members will know :p

Yes you do, but also won't work until o2 activate MMS on your account, which aint easy!! I've not been sucessfull on the front, but some have!! Here's a like to o2's setting!

files.me.com/baker.rk/dvah0m Password mmi

a_ukboy
30th April 2009, 03:39 PM
Yes and no - I used the excuse that at weekends I use a Nokia phone and often take photos and would like to be able to send MMS - I made one phone and they activated MMS straight away.. although it took a few hours to start working.

It depends who you speak to.

Worth trying again..

Hmmm, how long ago did you do that mate? cause i have used the excuse that im going away on holiday and going to take my N95 with me as last time i went away i dropped my iphone in the swimming pool which is actually true, but still they won't give it to me, saying that MMS is not compatible with Iphone tariffs which we all know is rubbish, i just think they've been instructed not to switch them on yet... I've asked a fair few CS reps and they all say the same thing!!

MrBriz
30th April 2009, 04:19 PM
I've loaded the operator file and now have the ability to send MMS. Only thing is I don't know if they are arriving. It seems to send the message?!

I rang o2 this morning and said I was putting the sim into another phone. I asked if I could send MMS and they said it shouldn't be a problem... god knows!

Well if I find out that my MMS's are being delivered I will update you all.

MrBriz
30th April 2009, 04:22 PM
I just sent an MMS to myself. It seems the message sent, but I got the standard iPhone "You've been sent a media message from...."

Well at least I can send even if I can't receive.

MrBriz
30th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Just so you all know I've now checked the MMS. It all comes through correctly from the o2 website.... now I have to somehow enable receiving the MMS on my phone....

Any ideas if putting the SIM into another phone and enabling MMS on that by sending an MMS to myself would work?

a_ukboy
30th April 2009, 04:41 PM
Just so you all know I've now checked the MMS. It all comes through correctly from the o2 website.... now I have to somehow enable receiving the MMS on my phone....

Any ideas if putting the SIM into another phone and enabling MMS on that by sending an MMS to myself would work?

Hmmm, worth a try matey, let us know how you get on? I have updated the configeration on my iphone but still unable to send, it just fails!!

a_ukboy
30th April 2009, 05:13 PM

Just tried it, didn't work for me in my N95, can't send in that either, even refreshed the o2 configeration settings :(

freddyg
1st May 2009, 08:53 AM
As my iphone 3g has been away for repair I simply phoned 02 and requested MMS activation until its return which they happily activated and it works perfectly on my Nokia 5800. I know thaht you can have MMS activated on your iphone tarriff too-you wont receive notification of any MMS in the old way though which they did warn me about but have stated there should be an update when version 3 software comes out.

MrBriz
5th May 2009, 12:30 PM
Well I can send MMS, just can't receive. I still get the "You have been sent and MMS... got to this website.. blah"

I haven't bothered ringing o2 to ask them if they can activate it. Maybe I'll try that at some point.

Oh and putitng the SIM into another phone didn't work :(