View Full Version : Samsung Omnia...

govenden
3rd May 2009, 12:38 PM
Hi all! Hope everyone is ok! So yeah thought id start a thread for the underated Omnia, which was dubbed the iPhone substitute! So anyone have any views? And also does anyone have one because i have a couple of questions?

I'll also just say that all in all, it's a great phone! :D

3GScottishUser
3rd May 2009, 12:49 PM
Hi

I now have an Omnia and I'm very pleased with it so far. Only major annoyance is the battery life but considering what it does its no surprise you have to charge it so frequently.

Came across a a daft thing the other day when using Google Maps. If you use the Samsung Keyboard it wont accept numerical data for inputting postcodes. Use the Microsoft keyboard and that solves the problem!

Still finding my way round the Omnia myself as there is just so much to explore but you are welcome to post any questions here and i'll do my best to answer them.

govenden
3rd May 2009, 01:08 PM
Ah cheers dude! Yeah i noticed that witht he google maps!

Ok, so have you managed to find any type of case for the phone that will help protect the screen? Also, are there any really good applications for the phone? Have you managed to install Flash Lite? And in terms of GPS, is Orange Maps the only one that will say the directions to you?

Thank you :D

Ben
3rd May 2009, 01:33 PM
Does the Omnia have any sort of multi-touch capability? I.e. can you pinch on the screen to zoom in etc?

It's Windows Mobile, isn't it... I take it there are alternatives you can install for browsing over IE? Granted, the last version of Windows Mobile I used was 5, but damn, IE on it was pitiful! Maybe it's better now...

govenden
3rd May 2009, 01:47 PM
No it doesnt have that, but on the other internet browser installed on the phone (Opera Browser) Its easier to zoom in by double tapping the screen, and on the right hand of the screen if you move the stylus or your fingure up or down, it does zoom in and out rather easily.

I canne remember what version of windows is installed on the phone!

Ben
5th May 2009, 03:10 PM
Ahh ok, did it come with Opera already on it? Good call if it did! I take it that's the one you use mostly?

I've never played with an Omnia, can't help but wonder how it'd compare to an iPhone. In fact, I've never played with Opera extensively on any phone, though I know people who swear by it on Nokia's.

govenden
5th May 2009, 03:35 PM
It certainly did come pre-installed.

Yeah i find it ok, but, well i use both of them really, IE for some sites and Opera for others. They both have there own advantages and disadvantages i guess.

These days i mainly use IE, you should deffenately have a play around with it, i still dont think i know how to use it 100% yet, and im sure theres still a ton of stuff it can do that i dont even know about!

Hands0n
5th May 2009, 06:11 PM
... i still dont think i know how to use it 100% yet, and im sure theres still a ton of stuff it can do that i dont even know about!

Oh for sure :) And what you can't do you can probably find an app in the wild that will. Some will be free, others cheap and yet others "How much!!!" :eek:

Windows Mobile OS is quite mature, with each new iteration or release it improves somewhat. The latest 'gimmick' has been to hide the manufacturer's homepage behind a glitzier or more functional interface. Under the hood though, it is still Windows Mobile.

There are squillions of learning websites for Windows Mobile;
You could do a lot worse than start here --> http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=4205 - which although it talks about the author's own personal experience of the Xperia (Sony Ericsson) is still relative as it is all about Windows Mobile ...

And then follow the link on there to the Little Guide to Windows Mobile (http://geekedout.se/winmo.php) - a rather rich blog of more detail and information

Failing that ... there is this lot on here :) and good old Google.

That should keep you going for a little while ;)

Ben
5th May 2009, 06:27 PM
Talking of apps - have you found any good third party ones that you've installed yourself? Or are you using it pretty much as it was when it came out the box?

govenden
6th May 2009, 07:26 PM
Cheers for that Hands0n! Ill have to check those links out at home!

As for applications, i havent really been that adventorous, i installed google maps, and tried to install flash lite (which didnt work), but other than that i dont really know whats out there and whats worth having? I did notice though that there doesn't seem to be a Facbook application, like you have for the iPhone. Allthough thats probably a good thing!

Anyone have any suggestions as to what kinder apps are good?

Ben
6th May 2009, 09:10 PM
I'm not a big third party app user myself I must say. On my iPhone I've got Apple Remote, for controlling AppleTV, TouchTerm for work stuff (a telnet/SSH app), and something called Dynolicious that I haven't used yet - supposedly you can use it in the car and, with the accelerometer and GPS, it records details about how you're driving... should be fun!

The apps I use most, sadly, are built in! Safari, Mail, Google Maps, Weather and Stocks are all poked by my finger many times a day :p

I have no idea what's out there for wimo. I suppose MSN Messenger and other messenger apps would be a good start. I suppose it all depends on what you need to do!

Sucks that Flash Lite didn't work. I've never really understood the point of that, it never worked properly on my Nokia's either :S I'm sure it's great for something, I just never figured out what :D

3GScottishUser
7th May 2009, 08:22 AM
Mobile Fun have a range of screen protectors but the premium Martin Fields ones are by far the best i have seen. They are imported from Japan and fit perfectly on the Omnia. Not cheap at £13 each or 2 for £18 but if you get what you pay for and they are reusable and dont have annoying air bubbles when fitted.

Mobile fun stock a good range of Omnia accessories and are welll worth a visit for car cradles, chargers (you might need one for the car!), headsets and cases.