View Full Version : BT mulls £3.5bn bid for T-Mobile UK

3GScottishUser
7th May 2009, 06:21 PM
Dont say I did not tell you........

"BT has emerged as a frontrunner in a possible acquisition of T-Mobile UK.

The UK division of Deutsche Telekom (DT) has faced speculation of its future amid shareholder pressure to sell off the ailing UK mobile business, and comments made by DT chief Rene Obermann.

BT chief Ian Livingston is known to be harbouring interest in making a serious mobile play, with the telecoms business in need of a mobile business to meet its ambitions as a fixed-line and mobile services operator.

Sources close to the matter have placed a £3.5bn value on T-Mobile UK, as private equity firm Blackstone and the German Government are seen as the shareholders angling for a sale of the UK business.

Obermann said last week: ‘We feel the UK market is competitive, and consolidation would do good for that market.’

The UK business is poised to welcome Richard Moat as its new managing director in June, which was exclusively revealed by Mobile last month.

Speculation last week identified Orange as a potential bidder, but France Telecom finance chief appeared to pour cold water on an imminent deal.

T-Mobile’s UK rivals have been pushing for consolidation among operators, arguing there is too much competition, but have been reluctant to buy T-Mobile because of the limited advantages a deal would directly bring.

BT is seen as a more likely bidder as it lacks its own mobile infrastructure, and its own fixed-line business for consumers is seen as under threat by the likes of Orange, O2 and Virgin Media, which are arguably better placed for consumers wanting a combined fixed-line and mobile package."

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/BT_may_bid_for_T_Mobile.html

BTW If T-Mobile is only worth £3.5 Billion what is 3 worth after HWL spending more than £9 Billion on it since 2003?

gorilla
7th May 2009, 06:25 PM
And I thought the UK was in the midst of a credit crunching recession :)

Well, would you join T-mobile under BT's ownership? Not sure I would.

Hands0n
7th May 2009, 07:09 PM
Well, would you join T-mobile under BT's ownership? Not sure I would.

If BT left T-Mobile to get on and do what it does best then yes, I would. But I suspect that BT would not be able to resist snatching failure from the hands of success...

3GScottishUser
7th May 2009, 07:23 PM
Doubt if they would be allowed to use the T-Mobile brand if the company was acquired.

Easy rebranding though.... just add a 'B' to the front of the name..... BT-Mobile!! - Simples!!

Ben
7th May 2009, 10:58 PM
Easy rebranding though.... just add a 'B' to the front of the name..... BT-Mobile!! - Simples!!
I lol'd, 3GSU, I actually lol'd! :D

chagle
7th May 2009, 11:15 PM

True!

If T-Mobile (BT-Mobile) stayed as they are, I would have no issue with going back to them - If I weren't with O2 with the iPhone.

solo12002
7th May 2009, 11:16 PM
BT-Mobile

Ay indeed it be know as bloodly Terrable (Bad spelling) To late

gorilla
8th May 2009, 08:43 AM
Doubt if they would be allowed to use the T-Mobile brand if the company was acquired.

I bet you it still costs an ad agency £50 million to come up with that, although they might come up with something completely different and confusing to the customer, that's never happened before :p