View Full Version : HTC Magic, fondled

Hands0n
7th May 2009, 07:32 PM
I had it in my hands for a little while today. I fondled it. I caressed it. I stroked it. I admired it. All in all, I was quite impressed by it.

The HTC Magic's predecessor, the T-Mobile Googlephone G1, was okay, but it didn't really float my boat. I dislike intensely the swing-out keyboard with its tiddly, fiddly, piddly little keys. My elder son loves the thing, he's really impressed with it, and so far it has stood the test of time with him - one being notorious for trashing stuff from an earliest age :D

The HTC Magic, on the other hand, is an elegant work of technological art. I was impressed more than I thought I might be. The pictures of the handset on Vodafone's website do it no justice at all.

The Magic is gorgeous to behold in life with its sleek shape and smooth glossy finish and very tidy trim and buttons (such as there are). The handset's weight is well balanced and overall feels very firm and solid in the hand. I do wonder about the robustness of the plastic case, but then again Apple moved over to plastic with the iPhone 3G without too much bother.

The HTC Magic is a touchscreen-only handset, there is no fold-out keyboard as with the G1. So the first question has to relate to how well the touchscreen operates. And I am pleased to say that it functions very well indeed - at the very least on a par with the iPhone. Dare I suggest that it maybe is a tad more responsive? I did not have time to do a side-by-side comparison but it certainly felt that way.

In use the touchscreen lulls an iPhone user into doing things that only the iPhone does, such as multi-touch gestures like pinch and squeeze. The HTC Magic was having none of that. But its keyboard and touchscroll functions worked flawlessly.

The intelligent text feature of the HTC Magic was completeley spot on and corrected all of my typo errors, of which there are always many on these tiny devices. Again, I have to say that my impression is that the HTC Magic's interpretation of my keystrokes was more accurate than my iPhone.

Talking with the handset's new owner I was told that the only problem he had with the HTC Magic related to using it as a music player. Unlike the iPhone the HTC Magic has no direct equivalent of iTunes. Also, as a Mac user already with iTunes, he found it a relatively complex process to manage files and playlists on the HTC Magic. Perhaps this is one area that is going to let all Android handsets down?

My short time with the HTC Magic has convinced me that I could indeed have one of these but won't be able to (that is another story that I will relate elsewhere on Talk3G). It wouldn't replace my iPhone now that I have become so dependent upon it. But to participate in the Android experience you would have to look far and wide to find a more capable handset with that OS on it.

If you're after the touchscreen experience but don't like O2/Apple then the HTC Magic is likely the one for you. It is as close as it gets, and Android is some head and shoulders above the iPhone's OS X (version 2.2.1) at the time of writing. That may change when OS X 3.0 arrives in June.

If you're not a fan of Vodafone either, and you wouldn't be alone on here (would they miffed?) you should expect the HTC Magic on other networks in three months time when Vodafone's exclusive deal expires (I read somewhere).

And as for the others? I'd not touch them with the proverbial pole used for propelling canal barges. Not when the choice is there betwixt iPhone and HTC Magic.

getti
7th May 2009, 08:14 PM
I had a HTC Magic
2 days later i did not.

Sold it on and made £110 which im happy with. T-Mobile have the new G3 due soon according to MobileToday and O2 have the Samsung i7500, both offering 5mp camera's

solo12002
7th May 2009, 09:09 PM
Tut tut you still doing all of this at your age?

"I had it in my hands for a little while today. I fondled it. I caressed it. I stroked it. I admired it. All in all, I was quite impressed by it."

And you instist in tell us all in an open fourm.

gorilla
8th May 2009, 08:51 AM
Tut tut you still doing all of this at your age?

"I had it in my hands for a little while today. I fondled it. I caressed it. I stroked it. I admired it. All in all, I was quite impressed by it."

And you instist in tell us all in an open fourm.

I was to quite shocked at the above, there's me thinking that this was a family friendly forum ;)

Ben
8th May 2009, 09:34 AM
Solo could find a double entendre in a bowl of cereal :D

It really sounds like the Magic is a decent phone. I'm very tempted to see what the damage would be for me to upgrade to it on my Vodafone contract - it'd be nice to add an Android to the collection! ;)

Sad for Vodafone that they spent so many resources pushing that cursed Blackberry Storm. I only played with it for a few minutes but that was all it took for me to hate it. By the sound of it they'd have been much better off marketing the Magic so extensively instead.

solo12002
8th May 2009, 09:06 PM
lol

He set himself up for it and hands up, it was to to good not to lol, stiil it added a new meaning to his user name of handsON!!

getti
8th May 2009, 09:19 PM
better hands up that hands on! :D

Hands0n
9th May 2009, 08:21 AM
Having fun? Have you lot quite finished yet? ;)

Well, the more I think about it the more I'm sold on the notion of a new toy, especially as we don't appear to have much in the way of Android users on Talk3G [yet]. Right now I'm only a "proxy" Android person buy way of eldest lad who's still gushing over his G1 after all these months. His has just been OTA updated to the new "Cupcake" release and does seem to be a lot slicker. Android updates are nowhere near as frequent as the Apple iPhone ones, but that may just be that the overall platform has been more complete and stable since day one.

And so I am trying to get Vodafone to play nice (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6704) and let me get an HTC Magic. Suffice to say here that I've had no luck so far, but am persisting. I'm nowhere near the end of my means of achieving my goal :D

In practise the Magic is unlikely to usurp the iPhone, that has become my main tool for doing pretty much everything communincations. Outside of the likes of the Android-based G1 and Magic I cannot think of another handset quite so capable. And that is taking its few limitations into consideration also, some (many?) of these being addressed in iPhone software release 3.0.

I have become completely sold on the touchscreen paradigm - it just works so well for me, although I accept that is not so for everyone. For me it is hard to imagine ever settling back in to a conventional handset, although I fully accept that the conventional and even basic handset can be much more functional as a mobile phone.

But thats the thing, see? I no longer use a handset as just a mobile phone. For me these things have become my entire communications centre when out and about. And so far, nothing has cut the cloth quite as neatly as the iPhone and, from brief experience, the G1 and now the HTC Magic.

Ben
9th May 2009, 12:24 PM
I have become completely sold on the touchscreen paradigm - it just works so well for me, although I accept that is not so for everyone.
Absolutely! These big-screen mini-tablet style devices are infinitely more useful in an Internet centric world than having half of the device taken up by a keypad. And, I think, the thing that pulled it all together was the death of the stylus.

Hands0n
9th May 2009, 03:42 PM
And, I think, the thing that pulled it all together was the death of the stylus.

Oh I'd go along with that completely. I hated using (and losing) styli - not sure how many I've gone through in the life of the iPAQ. The Viewty comes with one on a string that is just begging to be lost!

The idea of using natures own stylus has been a long time coming to reality. But now that it has there will be no turning back. Those touchscreen OS that use/need a stylus are facing a bleak and uncertain future.

miffed
9th May 2009, 04:13 PM
The funny thing is , I always managed to use WM and even UIQ quite adequately without using the stylus , I don't have long fingernails , but I don't bite them down to my elbows either , so I never really had a prolem navigating or typing on any touchscreen device

Don't get me wrong , I do agree the new breed have significantly improved things in this respect , but I was by no means dependant on a stylus anyway.

The magic does look nice , and if it were on T-mobile I'd probably have one ordered by now , but being shackled to Vodafone is not something I really want to get involved with ATM , especially with a new iPhone on the horizon !

....Best sit this one out IMO

Hands0n
9th May 2009, 08:25 PM
....Best sit this one out IMO

I am not sure if T-Mobile will take on the HTC Magic (G2 ??) but Vodafone only have a 3-month exclusive on it, or so I have read elsewhere. But don't hold me to that, I cannot find a citation link!