View Full Version : Oh am I p***** off or what?

Hands0n
7th May 2009, 07:42 PM
"Incandescent" would be a suitable expression to describe my mood right now. Vodafone have dropped a left one, big time, and I am not appreciative of it. Allow me to elucidate.

In December 2008 I decided not to continue my £35/m contract but wanted to keep my number. I had every intention of switching to a 30-day SIM-only deal just to keep the number active until Vodafone either got the iPhone or a new Android handset - just as they have now. Good planning you might say. I thought so too.

But the CS person I spoke with advised me to switch to a lower tariff which would include a smattering of data (500MB) for £12, 100 mins and 50 texts. I was tempted and asked if I would still be able to upgrade the tariff should a new handset arrive. I was assured that was going to be ok and so I took out the new tariff and in the process refreshed the 12-month contract, obliging me until 15 Dec 2009. No problem, I thought, I'll undoubtedly want to upgrade before that. And sure enough, with my interest sparked with the HTC Magic I called today .... and then the bomshell dropped!

I am not able to upgrade my contract from £12 to £35 until November at the earliest. To quote the CS chap "Not even the Queen would be allowed to" - now I'd like to see that, and would even pay good money to sit and watch.

I explained my position but the [un]helpful chap merely quoted the rule to me and said that I was out of luck. So I suggested that I was not entirely happy and that come December 2009 I would be very unlikely to renew, and in fact would take the rest of my business elsewhere. "Thats okay!" he cheerfully replied, "Thanks for your time, goodbye", and then he was gone.

No doubt Vodafone are shifting these HTC Magic off the shelves as quickly as they can pop them up there. But really, truly, are Vodafone so silly as to really want to lose a good customer who puts around £1,000 a year their way? I know this is not even a night out for Sir John Bond but it is hardly good business sense, even if my ultimate departure will not drive them into insolvency.

I don't know. I've always sung their praises, and their CS has in the past been rock solid for me. So what is it about Vodafone and upgrades that earn them more money that prompts them to turn away a customer with cash in his hand?

Someone explain that to me because I am completely unable to grasp the logic.

getti
7th May 2009, 08:12 PM
Now you know the feeling i had when i had issues with their customer service. What i cant understand is how from there i ended up with a 12 month upgrade and a 30 day modem lol there just seems to be something about Vodafone that my wallet likes.

I had a small issue tonight where i called up to ask about using the modem abroad because i saw on their site you can have 50mb for 24hrs at a flat cost of £9.99 which is perfect for me to use for 2 days over there so a nice flat charge of £19.98 which i was fine with.

I was told they have never heard of this, neither had their manager so as i was a my Mac i told them where the page was so he could see. he looked through it and said he will speak to his manager so put me on hold.

2mins later he comes back and says that was a 'promotion' which has now ended because customers came back and the billing was wrong and they were charged £100's of pounds so they stopped it, if i was to use data roaming i would pay £5 per MB so he says i should not take it with me.

So why is this still on the system if its an old offer, Seems the Vodafone moto is not 'Make the most of now' but 'If you dont know, Lie'

Ben
7th May 2009, 10:29 PM
Wow, Hands0n, finally you've experienced what miffed has been going on about for years!

I, of course, still don't believe it ;)

Can't believe they wouldn't let you PAY THEM triple what you're paying now.

gorilla
8th May 2009, 08:41 AM
I think this serves as warning to anyone thinking about upgrading after their contract has ended: do nothing to your existing contract (if you're happy with your current service) because before you know it, you'll have entered into a new contract.

@HandsOn do VF record CS calls? Could you get them to look up the original call? Another example of good CS!

Hands0n
8th May 2009, 07:49 PM
@HandsOn do VF record CS calls? Could you get them to look up the original call? Another example of good CS!

I'm not at all sure about this. They claim to, but whether or not they keep the recordings for so many months is entirely up for speculation.

Hands0n
8th May 2009, 08:15 PM
I started a topic on the Vodafone eForum yesterday here (http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24826)

One of the eForum mods has picked up the thread and is trying to do something to resolve the issue. I'm going to let that run its course. The mods there are genuinely sympathetic and helpful as they are able to be.

But if he is unable to get any movement my final recourse is to write to the Exec Office and also my old firm's boss Sir John Bond (now Chairman of Vodafone) to see if there is any chance of leveraging some sense out of Vodafone's policy.

I'm still left beyond belief that any business would turn away a customer wanting to upgrade their account, extend it for a fresh term, and pay more money for the privilege. It is astonishing to say the least.

Does anyone know the direct email address for Vodafone's Exec Office?

miffed
10th May 2009, 07:29 PM
Someone explain that to me because I am completely unable to grasp the logic.

I can explain , in one word

Vodafone

Only suprises me that you lot are surprised by it ! (you fools !! )

Now excuse me while I indulge in some crazed , psychotic laughter

;)

Hands0n
11th May 2009, 07:52 PM
Well the Mods chaps on the eForum pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and managed to get my the upgrade to the HTC Magic. Despite "the computer says No" approach of the regular CS this team have ways and means that transcend what mere mortals at the front line can manage.

The deal is reasonable, getting me 600 mins, unlimited texts and Mobile Internet (I guess that means no tethering) for 18 months on the £35 and no charge for the HTC Magic. The only "catch" is that the 18 months does not start until my current 12 months is over (6 remain) and so it is effectively a 24 month offer (expiring 24/06/2011). I can live with that seeing as my N95 is of a similar age and still going strong...

Persistence paid off, that coupled with a reasonable approach letting the eForum team know what I would be prepared to accept. I find that this tends to work in the majority of cases where an unacceptable "No" answer has been received.

I'm happy with the result - now just having to wait out the next 24 hours or so to get my sticky mitts on the thing :D

miffed
11th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Excellent ! Glad you got it sorted despite CS's best efforts

....Although I've always felt you get a better class of being screwed over by Vodafone ;):p:rolleyes:

Hands0n
11th May 2009, 11:31 PM
....Although I've always felt you get a better class of being screwed over by Vodafone ;):p:rolleyes:

I guess its been one of those M&S moments :D

Hands0n
12th May 2009, 11:20 PM
Its here and I'm using it to send this.

First impressions will be posted in the HTC section.

Hands0n
12th May 2009, 11:20 PM

Ben
13th May 2009, 01:23 PM

I did find that a little amusing ;)

Hurrah for the successful resolution. Yes, you had to work for it, but it happened in the end.