View Full Version : Tesco Internet Phone for use abroad

3GScottishUser
9th May 2009, 06:05 PM
Had a look at the Tesco Internet phone deals the other day and the small HP handset is just £14.95 now in their stores.

What is useful is the fact that you can use it whilst on any Wi-Fi network abroad to call landlines and mobiles in the UK... for 2p a minute. That beats any roaming or local SIM hands down if you are staying somewhere that has Wi-Fi when you are on holiday.

The £14.95 handset can remain attached to your PC and accepts incoming calls too, no roaming charges or nasty bills for the caller either as its a straightforward 01 UK series landline number.

Will have to have a wee think about the deal before I head off to Turkey for a month in July.

Hands0n
9th May 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey! Have you got any URLs to go with that rather interesting information??

Ben
9th May 2009, 09:17 PM
I suppose for most mobile users with WiFi it'd probably be just as easy to use something like Skype when abroad with Skypeout or whatever it's called.

solo12002
9th May 2009, 09:30 PM
Does this help?

http://www.tescointernetphone.com/

3GScottishUser
10th May 2009, 08:33 AM
Not sure but I have used Skype out and it was more expensive than the Tesco proposition. Reading the website it appears you can use any phone with SIP enabled but I think you have to buy one of their handsets to register and get the incoming number etc. Still looks like a good deal if you want to make lots of calls home whilst abroad.

Hands0n
10th May 2009, 09:53 AM
Thats an interesting idea - so you could set yourself up with the £14.99 HP handset - which is tethered to a PC - and then use something like a Nokia N95 with its own SIP client to make the calls.

NB: If you've a Vodafone N95 with a crippled SIP client you can "debrand" fairly simply using the NSS tool to change the product code and Nokia Software Updater to load up a version of the firmware with SIP enabled (i.e. non-Vodafone).

3GScottishUser
10th May 2009, 11:57 AM
Tesco also have a Wi-Fi phone service that you can use with suitable mobiles. The N95 is one of the models listed so you could use it via your home router to make and receive calls whilst in range.

http://www.tescointernetphone.com/talkwifi/

rsmobile
26th August 2009, 06:34 AM
Does this help?

http://www.tescointernetphone.com/

Thanks, been looking for a solution like this. I've been searching for cheaper alternatives when traveling abroad and this might be it.

Veteran Mobile Voip User

Hands0n
1st September 2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks, been looking for a solution like this. I've been searching for cheaper alternatives when traveling abroad and this might be it.

Veteran Mobile Voip User

I suppose it all depends on what handset you have. But have you made use of Skype in your travels? I've been planning on using it on my iPhone when in a WiFi area (over this last two years hotspots have become widely available in cafes and bars in Turkey and Greece at least).

rsmobile
9th September 2009, 05:45 AM
I've used Skype but there are a lot of applications and choices out there. I found a site that was almost helpful in giving me a breakdown on mobile phone (http://www.myvoipprovider.com/Mobile_VoIP) software but no one has really reviewed any of the companies. Has anyone used YouTring or TruPhone and if so does it really deliver?

Thanks,
Randy

Hands0n
9th September 2009, 07:15 AM
I used Truphone in its earlier days. As such it works okay. Now that their interconnect arguments are resolved with the likes of T-Mobile they seem to have a service offering that is on par with Skype and others.

What I really need is an affordable (read cheap) WiFi handset. That is when SIP telephony stands a dog in hell's chance of taking off. As it is such devices are too exclusive and expensive. Those that are tied to a PC are of no use and not very "green"

gorilla
9th September 2009, 08:45 AM
I have truphone, but do not use it. It seems expensive compared to Skype.
I have a dedicated belkin skype wifi (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F1PP000GNukSK-Wireless-Skype-Handset/dp/B000JXOW3O) handset that works well despite the reviews on Amazon. I don't use it a lot, but it does have it's uses.

Hands0n
10th September 2009, 01:34 PM

The Belkin device is three years old. Should that matter? It suggests to me that take up of the tech os slow and manufacturing costs still too high. The usual paradox of [then] new technology.

Is it still a niche that wants Skype/SIP divorced from the PC/Mac? Or is this an unrealised and untapped market? I certainly do not want to be beholden to 3UK for my Skype. I want it directly off my WLAN. But not at the silly handset prices currently about, even on eBay!

The future for VoIP is far from assured the way things stand with these suppliers. It does, however, have a very sure place in bulk transmission, enterprise and the 4G networks when they arrive.

gorilla
11th September 2009, 10:26 AM
I think the general populous don't know what VOIP is, and as long as BT make you take a phone line when you get broadband, the vast majority will not need VOIP. It's time the line rental charge went and customers had the choice of which service they receive. Even Virgin make it really difficuly for you just to take broadband. I have a landline with them, but when I asked to cancel it, but keep broadband and TV, they said that would cost more! So I now have a landline that is never used, just to save me money.

Hands0n
11th September 2009, 11:59 AM
LOL @ Virgin Media. I had exactly the same problem with them. I warned tha I would take it all away eventually. But they wouldn't listen. And so it happened. I'm now Virgin-free. The conversation with Terminations was pathetic with them offering me all that I didn't want to stay with them! Still missing the point entirely.

Back on topic ;) I think you're completely spot on there. And in the face of that the VoIP companies have a really tough job on their hands.

The clue seems to be convincing the punter to go 100% IP.