View Full Version : HTC Magic - First impressions

Hands0n
13th May 2009, 12:02 AM
Today I took delivery of a brand new HTC Magic from Vodafone, currently the exclusive supplier of this handset in the UK.

This is my first Android handset, although I am no stranger to the OS as my eldest lad has the G1 from T-Mobile. That particular handset never appealed to me because of its odd [for me] mechanical keyboard.

I have waited out for a completely touchscreen Android handset which the HTC Magic certainly is. And my initial response is one of being pleased at the mature design that HTC are now putting out. I well remember some of their earlier howlers in the Windows Mobile camp. The HTC Magic is none of those.

In physical appearance the Magic looks slightly smaller than an iPhone 3G, although possibly deeper (thicker). The viewable screen is slightly smaller too, but this does not detract from its usability as a touchscreen device. The screen itself has a superb resolution, with crisp sharp colours.

The touchscreen is responsive, but I would say that it is not quite as "snappy" as the iPhone 3G. It is accurate, and the virtual keyboards (horizontal and vertical) are easy to use.

The Magic has only six physical buttons on its facia - these are Home, Menu, Back, Search, Off Hook and Hang Up. All bar the Search are fairly self explanatory. But Search is a bit neat - it is context sensitive. At the desktop pressing the Search button brings up a Google search window, enter your enquiry, hit return and it launches the browser to find your answer. Do the same within an App and it will invoke that App's search (i.e. finding Contacts).

The remaining control is a scroll-button which operates a bit like that on an Apple Mighty Mouse if you're familiar with those. Within an app like a browser it provides a 360 degree scroll function. Press the button and it will select whatever the mouse pointer is over. In use it is very simple to use and highly functional.

In almost every other respect, the HTC Magic is like the iPhone. What you can do on one you can do on the other as easily. The only thing missing on the Magic are the finger gestures such as pinch and squeeze. Otherwise it is hard to tell the difference.

The HTC Magic is a significant hardware upgrade on the G1 - with higher resolution screen and uprated CPU that flies along in comparison. Side by side with the G1 the HTC Magic outperforms.

Music and Video media storage and administration is a breeze. The HTC Magic simply plugs into any USB port and all you need do is drag and drop the media files into a directory on the Android handset. It appears to the PC/Mac as a USB memory stick. There are no nasty applications to install on the host computer - handset manufacturers [with the exception of Apple] generally have not a clue how to write a computer application to handle music and media.

Playlists are created on the handset itself - and it is a simple matter to add the media item to the playlist. I like this a lot.

Android Market is like some street bazar compared to the Apple App Store. It has a wonderful selection of some really quite interesting apps to make use of. A lot of them have been updated already to work with the recent Android "Cupcake" version of the OS. I found a lot of very functional apps to play with - Android, being an open system, allows the developers a high degree of control of the device. Something that only now is Apple allowing with their device come the 3.0 version of their OS.

The HTC Magic is a simple device to use - and that is only because of its extraordinary complexity in the OS and the hardware itself. Like the iPhone it really does not need a manual, although a tiny Quick Start is included in the box - and that makes reference to a PDF full manual on the Internet.

I would recommend the HTC Magic to anyone who cannot bring themselves to come into physical contact with anything made by Apple. It is an outstanding handset and ranks right up there with the best.

gorilla
13th May 2009, 12:47 PM
Nice one. Is this going to be your "main" handset now? You'll have to let us know how the battery copes, I think it is acceptable now to just about get through the day (is it?) with most smartphones. I know my iPhone 3g can easily last a day and a half.

Can you tell us about podcasts: how do you download them, play 'em back, update etc?

Is there an Android equivalent to itunes? Coming from the iPhone, it could be a bit of a culture shock if there is no desktop software.

Is gmail push? and does google mobile sync work the same as the iPhone.

What about Maps? Is the GPS slow/fast etc.

Ben
13th May 2009, 01:21 PM
Is this going to be your "main" handset now?
*Rolls on floor in hysterics* You're having a laugh, surely :P

I'm sure the Magic is great and all... ;)

Great write up Hands0n, thanks! Am being ever tempted to get one of these, too, it'd be nice to own the best of the also-rans ;)

Hands0n
13th May 2009, 05:21 PM
Lets have a go at these really interesting questions ... :)

Nice one. Is this going to be your "main" handset now? You'll have to let us know how the battery copes, I think it is acceptable now to just about get through the day (is it?) with most smartphones. I know my iPhone 3g can easily last a day and a half.

I'll be putting the battery through its paces in a few days. Right now I'm allowing it to settle into its nightly re-charge regime that I practise on all my kit. But yes, I think you're right to not expect much more than a day with average use, quite a bit less if used more aggressively.

I have taken on board an applet that controls the WiFi - if you drop out of range it lets you know so you can "toggle" the WiFi off if you so wish, a sensible precaution. However, it does sound like the HTC Magic has a lesser battery life than the iPhone in this respect - as I cannot recall the last time i switched my WiFi off on the iPhone, ever!!

Can you tell us about podcasts: how do you download them, play 'em back, update etc?

Not quite sure about the download bit - I suspect you could do it to the handset, but for sure if you were to download to the PC/Mac/Linux computer all you'd need do is plug the HTC Magic in and copy the files across to the correct directory on its SD card. The HTC Magic (and G1 for that matter) appear as an additional drive on the computer. Drag and drop, you're done.

Is there an Android equivalent to itunes? Coming from the iPhone, it could be a bit of a culture shock if there is no desktop software.

Nope! There is no equivalent to iTunes in the Android universe. You can manage your music with whatever software you desire. But the Android is having none of it - not, that is, unless the software has been designed to work with generic MP3 players that appear as additional hard drives on the PC/Mac/Linux.

Is gmail push? and does google mobile sync work the same as the iPhone.

Oh yes indeedy - as mail arrives you get a notification in the "Notifications" bar at the top of the screen. Also push are Contacts and Calendar - the changes arriving on the handset (and vice versa) within 30 seconds of the change being made in the cloud. But that is the distinction, it is only a change reflected in the Google cloud - if you make changes in, lets say Outlook, they won't be seen on the handset until that app has sync'd with the Google cloud. So it is not "Push" as Apple have it, seamless across all devices and cloud.

What about Maps? Is the GPS slow/fast etc.

I have not had a chance to play with the GPS yet. I used the cellular transmitters to locate myself on Maps and they got it wrong by about four streets and a good 700 metres. I'm hoping that the GPS is a lot more accurate - but again, there is specific control to turn the GPS on and off, and you're encouraged to do so. That leaves me wondering if, really, the HTC Magic can cope with a days use of WiFi, GPS and Bluetooth concurrently. I'll be running that across a weekend where I can get a recharge easily.

And that is one bonus point - the recharging of this device can be made from any USB source at all. These days there are squillions of choices in that respect.

Hands0n
14th May 2009, 08:56 PM
A couple of days have passed and I have had some little time to play with and use the HTC Magic. As such I have developed a quick fondness of the little device. It is quite fun and easy to use.

It is not iPhone, as I have said before, but it is interesting nevertheless.

Battery life has concerned me, and with good reason. Today I have carried the handset off to work where it has lived in my desk drawer all day. I've used it to receive one text message and send one back. Right now (7:30pm) the charge is down to 69%. That is with everything turned off - WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth. By contrast the iPhone is still showing 80% charge at least, and it has had WiFi on permanently, Location Services (GPS) too.

I am finding lots of handy little features of Android though - and these do tend to make the HTC Magic shine out over the iPhone in some ways. For example, there is a fast app switcher - just hold the Home key down while on the Home page or any app and the switcher pops up showing you all of the recent apps you've used. Tap one and you're off into it.

Now I have noticed that, according to Advanced Task Manager Lite (a 3rd party app), the apps tend to stay resident in memory. They don't take up very much, i.e. the Browser is 27K, Google Mail is 13K and Market is 15K. This memory residence make switching very fast indeed. There is no apparent need to unload the app and then load up the next, that is unless you have not used the app previously.

There is not very much for the average human to adjust to when moving from iPhone to the HTC Magic. The virtual keyboard has some of its symbol keys in different places. The space bar is a bit smaller, and I keep missing it :D It feels a bit more compact in the hand, but the imperial/metric ruler says it isn't half as much as it feels :)

The big test is ... can I do a day with the HTC Magic and not touch the iPhone. Now that is quite a challenge! When the iPhone first came out Ben and I tried the challenge of carrying the iPhone for a day and leave the laptop at home/office. He did it. I came close, but busted out the laptop when I got back home :D

I have become quite enamoured of the HTC Magic. It is a really nice little handset indeed, and the white colour suits it perfectly. Tale has it that the handset will be available in Black later this year.

The Android OS is superb, and feature packed. Just going through the various Settings pages - there is no end to them, and even for the apps themselves - is an adventure in itself. Android is fast in this handset, a bit slower in the G1. It is slick and seems to be infinitely extensible with apps available from Marketplace.

Android, in original form, has only three Homepages - Centre, Left and Right. But there are several apps in Marketplace that extend this significantly. There is even an iPhone UI emulation that is astonishingly close to the real thing - although why anyone would want to emulate an iPhone on its hot rival boggles the imagination.

I'll say it again - if you cannot bring yourself to even considering an iPhone and are looking for the "killer" then look no further. The HTC Magic is not an iPhone killer, side by side the two complement the other. But it is probably the most worthy contender bar none to the true iPhone experience.

hecatae
14th December 2010, 04:52 PM
both techradar and eurodroid have reported this and it's on Vodafone's forum:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Latest-Vodafone-News/Android-2-2-1-for-HTC-Magic/td-p/630265

Android 2.2.1 for HTC Magic [ Edited ]
Post Options
14-12-2010 09:08 AM - last edited on 14-12-2010 09:25 AM
Android 2.2.1 (Froyo) is now available to Vodafone HTC Magic customers

Android 2.2.1 will give customers a number of improvements including: latest Gmail and Android Market clients; ability to save applications directly onto an SD card; support for USB tethering so the phone can be used as a modem; improved support for Active Sync Exchange (email, contacts and calendar sync); enhancements to Bluetooth; and enhancements to the camera. The update also includes the latest Google security patches.

How will customers get the latest software?

Customers' devices will receive an automatic notification when the update is available for their handset. They can then choose to accept the update by following the on screen prompts or perform it later.
The roll out of the software is phased, so not all customers will receive this notification at once.
Because it is quite a large update, we’d recommend customers carry it out over WiFi, although it is possible to download it over 3G or GPRS.
The update is a two step download which will be triggered by automatic notification to the customer's handset. The first step will change the bootloader. The second step will install FroYo after the phone has rebooted.

Checking software versions

To check which version of software the HTC Magic has:
1. Press the menu key, then touch "Settings", scroll down to and touch "About phone"
2. The software version will be displayed here

Ben
15th December 2010, 09:36 AM
Nice to see older devices still being updated! Whether customer pressure alone is enough to ensure this keeps happening time will only tell...

miffed
15th December 2010, 12:47 PM
Seems a bit bizarre to me TBH, I'd have far rather had 2.1 or 2.0 update LAST year (when the device was still relevant ) , than a 2.2 now !

Not sure how well the spec will handle froyo ...my Magic is out on semi permanent loan , so won't be able to try it for a while myself