View Full Version : o2 Joggler !!

miffed
18th May 2009, 08:52 PM
WTF , just seen this advertised on TV , so had a quick look on t'internet

http://o2family.o2.co.uk/familyjogglerloggedout.html

Well, despite feeling a bit cynical at first , I actually quite like the principle !
If I have the idea right (the site doesn't give a lot away ) this device gives you a hub for "cloud" sevices , without the need for a computer , the advert impied that you could have this device in you kitchen as a communial calender ,and events would update on all the families mobiles

Potential to be good IMO , but will probably fail miserably !

Hands0n
18th May 2009, 09:15 PM
What an odd device/facility/WHY :)

It looks like O2 are getting into Cloud computing, starting with Calendar. My wonder is whether they are doing it from scratch or using a white label product, perhaps from Google even?

The whole proposition does rather hang on whether or not the family are all going to run and maintain their own cloud-based calendars. But how does this fit in with the iPhone or Android devices when they arrive at O2? Is there a strategy we don't yet know about?

Edit: I don't think that I could sustain yet another calendaring app :D

gorilla
18th May 2009, 09:19 PM
I saw this advertised in the paper today and I have to say that I was intrigued...until I went to the website. £149.99 hmmm let me think about that, nope too expensive!

Like miffed above, the idea seems useful, but O2's calendar? Tell me you can sync outlook, ical or google calendar to it? As I understand it, O2 text you a list of your calendar events, why not just let your mobile sync with the O2 calendar? Can that not be done? Surely most mobiles can have two way calendar sync?

The streaming media would interest me, but is there not a cheaper way to do that?
e.g. acer aspire revo (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9606798/Acer-Aspire-Revo-Intel-Atom-N230-1-6GHz-1GB-8GB-SSD-Linux-Desktop-PC/Product.html).

gorilla
18th May 2009, 09:21 PM
Edit: I don't think that I could sustain yet another calendaring app :D

Yes exactly, surely calendars are becoming more open these days and yet another implementation is just confusing to the average joe?

miffed
18th May 2009, 09:31 PM
What an odd device/facility/WHY :)

But how does this fit in with the iPhone or Android devices when they arrive at O2? Is there a strategy we don't yet know about?

I get the impression that this is aimed at those that wouldn't have the first clue about how to CONNECT their phone to their computer , let alone sync them !
As we all know , everything this device does is already being done (probably much better too !) by the likes of Mobileme and google for us smartphone owners , along with our computers - I think this service will be looking to provide a simplified version of these services that are available to all , even those with non-smart devices and limited computer experience

3GScottishUser
22nd May 2009, 08:30 PM
I dont get this product.

Why not just buy a netbook and use it?