View Full Version : iPhone roaming wobbles

Ben
21st May 2009, 12:18 AM
Had a few little niggles that have needed me to restart my iPhone to fix while roaming with it in Spain.

Initially it didn't seem fussed about using WiFi at all. With data roaming on or off, it was having none of it - preferring the cellular network when allowed. A reboot fixed this, it has been locking on to WiFi well ever since, and as such I'm only about 2MB into my pro-rata 42MB so far.

This evening it's decided it loves Orange. That would be fine, if it wasn't for my incoming calls bundle only applying, afaik, to Movistar (Telefonica, O2). Unfortunately a restart hasn't fixed this one... neither has manually forcing the network to Movistar. I can actually pick up two Moroccan networks from here, lol, though O2 wont let me log on to anything other than Orange and Movistar. Funnily enough, it looks like it's actually logged on to Movistar, but it still says "Orange" at the top of the screen. Weird bug maybe?

3g-g
21st May 2009, 08:14 PM
Strangely, one of my friends (here in the UK) has an iPhone that says he's locked onto Orange UK, and he's on O2... I'm only presuming that he's still on O2 as the UK networks don't allow roaming between them. A reset cured it at first, however, it's subsequently happened a few times. Strange!

Ben
21st May 2009, 10:25 PM
Nothing's curing mine. It says Orange, despite the fact that I'm manually locked onto Movistar, lol. It lies! Operator name display must be buggy...

...but when I get my bill I'll know for sure!

a_ukboy
22nd May 2009, 06:19 PM
Hey mate, if your roaming in Spain and you have the chosen country Spain add on it doesn't matter what network your on to get the free incoming calls, as long as it's a Spanish network

Ben
22nd May 2009, 07:53 PM
It's the data that's going to kill me!

I'm 99% sure it's really on Movistar tho. Feck knows why it only wants to display Orange. I tried manually logging onto Orange and it wouldn't even let me!

a_ukboy
22nd May 2009, 08:42 PM
You mean one of the data roaming packs? £50 for 50 meg?? I'm sure that's any network too, you can call cs while your there it's free to do so and have it confirmed, but I've used both chosen country add on and the roaming data add on and it made no difference to my bill which network I was on, and the data add on should be for any roaming network..

Ben
22nd May 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the reassurance :D I'd be gutted to spend £50 on the pack and still be charged £3 a meg, lol!

Fortunately (?) I haven't used much anyway, there's been enough free WiFi about that, combined with the VPN, I've got by ok - just switching on data roaming when there was nothing else available. Getting hold of data abroad is definitely getting easier, but it's still not so easy that the mobile networks couldn't clean up by introducing decent data roaming packages.

Apple did a lot for domestic tariffs wrt data. I hope that they get serious on roaming data as time goes by - they seem to be the only force capable of inferring change on the sedate MO CEO's these days.