View Full Version : New Vodafone Roaming Charges

Hands0n
22nd May 2009, 02:00 PM
Hopefully I have transcribed these correctly - please post any ammendments as you see fit.

Vodafone have announced new Mobile Data roaming charges to be effective immediately. If you do not already subscribe to the tariffs as soon as you use the service it will automatically start.

Briefly then ...

Zone 1 (EU)
£4.99 for 25MB
£9.95 for 50MB

Zone 2 (best check Vodafone's website)
£14.99 for 25MB
£29.99 for 50MB

Zone 3
£4.99 per MB flat rate

As usual, if you are going to travel and use Mobile Data, make sure that you read up on all the Ts&Cs, check the current Tariffs and look out for any gotchas such as these rates only applying to Vodafone networks (where if you roam off then other tariffs kick in).

solo12002
22nd May 2009, 09:11 PM
Hard to check T &C no sign of this on their site lol

Hands0n
22nd May 2009, 09:42 PM
Correction: The new tariff does not start until 1 July.

Vodafone users can find out the detail by calling 40079 free on their handsets.

Ben
22nd May 2009, 10:51 PM
They could have at least started them June. D'oh.

Make them 250 and 500 megs and they'd actually be good. All they've done is made it a little cheaper for folk who nip on to check their email and don't 'stretch' to 50 megs in 24 hours.

I hate how Vodafone CS have no idea whether a session is 24 hours from connection or daily from midnight to midnight. It's kinda important when you've only got 50MB to play with!

solo12002
22nd May 2009, 11:19 PM
Zone 1 (EU)
£4.99 for 25MB
£9.95 for 50MB

Are these per 24 hour period or untill you have used that amount? Ie if i went to Poland for a week and used 50mb on emails, would I be billed £10 or charged that x 7?

Hands0n
22nd May 2009, 11:57 PM
I replayed the announcement on 40079 ...

Per day is calculated as Midnight to Midnight UK time (note that well).
Usage starts from the moment you start using the Data Roaming
All prices are inclusive of VAT

The full announcement (http://www.vodafone.co.uk/dataroaming) is now on the web.

Vodafone's website gives more details such as

If you’re browsing on your phone, we’ll send you a text when you’re getting close to 25MB – so you can decide whether you want to stay online and pay for another 25MB. You’ll get the same message on your laptop when you’re about to reach 50MB. And we’ll also give you a heads up when it’s nearly midnight in the UK – the time your day of browsing ends.
Which I think is a nice touch.

Hands0n
23rd May 2009, 12:11 AM
The maths behind this work out as follows;

Assuming you're out on holiday for 11 full days, that makes £54.89 in Data Roaming charges for the period also assuming that you don't exceed the 25MB usage per day.

Now, 25MB really does not sound a lot at all. But ... if all you're doing is using your mobile handset, even for browsing and social networking (IM, Facebook, Twitter) the chances are that 25MB is going to be hard to use up even if you're on the thing all day.

For example, last Saturday I was on my HTC Magic for as much as I could get to use it and I only managed the following usage:
Sat May 09 23:15 Mobile Browsing INTERNET 1039.384 Kb

Thats just over 1MB! That was browsing, email, GTalk and Market downloading numerous apps.

Admittedly, I was not actually on the handset all day long - but I did make use of it at every spare opportunity as I was getting used to the device.

On a laptop I could have murdered the 25MB for sure!

solo12002
23rd May 2009, 10:36 AM
Its so funny that they include Turkey for data roaming at these new rates, but screwd the mobile phone users when it comes to text and calles as its not included for roaming at the reducded rates during summer.

I