View Full Version : WWDC 2009 Today!

Ben
8th June 2009, 12:32 PM
It's the day that we've all been waiting for :D

Yep, the Developer Conference normally brings with it some goodies. Due to iPhone OS 3.0 being such a big deal, it's very likely we'll be seeing lots of that along with a new iPhone. There'll surely be stuff on Snow Leopard, too.

Being the Developer Conference we shouldn't expect too many consumer line hardware announcements, if any. However, this being such a massive event for Apple, and the iPhone competition intensifying, they'd be mad not to dedicate a large slice of the action to all things iPhone.

Current expectations are for the finished iPhone OS 3.0 and new iPhone hardware, though externally the new iPhone is expected to look very similar to the iPhone 3G.

Personally I'm not expecting iPhone OS 3.0 or a new iPhone to ship until July/August, as I'd imagine the mobops who have exclusive tie-ups with Apple would like time to prepare launch paraphernalia and plan upgrade options, but that's not to say Apple couldn't push out new product to its own stores... Like some others I suspect, I haven't had a new handset since last August when I got my first iPhone, the iPhone 3G, on launch day. To say I've got something of an itch for a new phone would be something of an understatement, even if it does look identical to my current one ;)

miffed
8th June 2009, 05:54 PM
Well , I'll be watching from here http://live.gizmodo.com/

Let me know if anyone finds anything better! - Hope it doesn't get hacked like last time:mad:

miffed
8th June 2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wwdc-2009-live-stream

miffed
8th June 2009, 06:16 PM
Lots of interesting stuff , 13" MB is now an MBP , c/w firewire !

miffed
8th June 2009, 06:49 PM
snow leopard - $29 !!!!!!!!!!

miffed
8th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Ah , there's a clue perhaps

XXX amount of providers will support MMS at launch or 3.0 , but AT&T will only support it by the end of summer (suggesting that 3.0 will launch before end of summer then ? )

chagle
8th June 2009, 07:25 PM
Talking about TomTom now! Blimey, just gone and bought meself aTomTom too!!

Hands0n
8th June 2009, 07:34 PM
OS X Snow Leopard
Only $29 for upgrade of Leopard to Snow Leopard? Are they insane? No, they are very very canny.

It is going to be an agonising wait for the $49 Family Pack upgrade in September - why so long for a licence? I have five Macs to update!

The new features in Snow Leopard are enticing ...

Surely Enterprise users are going to be tempted:

Next, Exchange. Many people have a Mac at home that they want to take to work, but Exchange support has been missing. Mail, iCal, and Address Book now all support Exchange.
Now demoing Exchange support. Showing how simple it is to add an Exchange account. Auto-discovery of Exchange servers, all email/folders/to-do lists are automatically populated, Spotlight immediately searches all data. Quicklook lets you preview MS Office documents through Mail, even if Office isn't installed.
Event invitations can be accepted/denied right through Mail. iCal and Address Book automatically have all appropriate data once Mail is setup. One or more contacts can be drag & dropped into iCal to automatically create a meeting.
Calendar events support resource allocation -- people's schedules, room availability, etc.

Thrilling stuff :)

iPhone
OS 3.0 highlights for me are ...

iPhone OS 3.0. Major update -- 100 new features. (thats features, not fixes!)

Cut/copy/paste/undo (works across all apps), landscape mode in Mail/Notes/Messages, MMS support (send and receive photos/contacts/audio files/locations) in Messages app (29 carriers in 76 countries will support MMS at launch -- AT&T not until later this summer), search (mail -- even on server, calendars, media, notes), spotlight (search everything in one place -- first page of the home screen).

Tethering is a seamless experience -- once it's on, you don't have to run any additional software. Requires carrier support -- 22 supported carriers when launched -- AT&T was not included.

Find My iPhone is available to MobileMe customers -- it's a service. You can login to MobileMe on any browser and see where your phone is on a Google Map. (then go round with the "heavies" to get it back :D)

If your phone really is lost or stolen, you can send it a remote wipe command that will delete all of your data (mail, contacts, etc). If you do find the phone, it will be restored from a backup.

Lets you send your phone a message -- a special alert sound will play, regardless if your phone is on silent or not.

Accessories can work through the Dock connector or Bluetooth. Can use standard protocols or build custom protocols.

I would love to believe that iPhone 3.0 software is coming out today/tomorrow, but what are the chances really? They will want to get this completely right and won't jump the gun just to meet a date, not after the other launch issues they saw. But that does not stop me hoping against all odds that the new software does get released now rather than later.

chagle
8th June 2009, 07:36 PM
It would be nice to see the release today - Somehow, I doubt it! I suppose I'll have to be a child and start screaming "I want.. I want ..." We'll see! :-)

gorilla
8th June 2009, 07:36 PM
3.0 is worth the wait, unless there's going to be a new beta, I don't see why it wont at least be announced today i.e. it will be released on xx June 2009. Not looking good though :(

gorilla
8th June 2009, 07:44 PM
June 17th is the release date

gorilla
8th June 2009, 07:47 PM
iPhone 3G S? S = Speed

chagle
8th June 2009, 08:07 PM
.. and 19th June for the new iPhone... if I read correctly.

Nothing on the O2 website, assuming it's still going to be be O2 only.

chagle
8th June 2009, 08:10 PM
Looks like O2 only:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2OTU

gorilla
8th June 2009, 08:11 PM
iPhone 3G S is on the apple store now http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2OTU hope the link works. No price yet

miffed
8th June 2009, 08:11 PM
Not sure about how the "$99 for iphone 3g 8b" price cut will translate to the UK ? Surely the aren't much more than that normally ?

Unless of course , they mean PAYG ?:D

gorilla
8th June 2009, 08:13 PM
Looks like O2 only:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2OTU

beat me to it! :p

gorilla
8th June 2009, 08:14 PM
Not sure about how the "$99 for iphone 3g 8b" price cut will translate to the UK ? Surely the aren't much more than that normally ?

Unless of course , they mean PAYG ?:D

If they sell it for £99 on PAYG they'd clear up. I'd buy one to have lying around!

Is the big news a macbook pro for £899? I'd be very tempted to buy one of those.

chagle
8th June 2009, 08:14 PM
beat me to it! :p

I did - By a minute! LOL.

chagle
8th June 2009, 08:22 PM
A few linkies:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/

Enjoy!

getti
8th June 2009, 08:54 PM
Oh Apple oh dear oh dear what have you done.

Ben
8th June 2009, 09:26 PM
Lol, what's not to like?

chagle
8th June 2009, 11:11 PM

Ditto Ben?

chaslam
8th June 2009, 11:47 PM
Im sorry, but I have to agree with Dan here. I sat there and watched the whole WWDC event live and I have to say, I was actually laughing when it came to the bit about the iphone. Please let me explain the reasons why I dislike the iphone.

During the event, a few things happened. Firstly, they announced copy and paste. The crowd cheered and clapped. Why? Its something that should have been included in the first place. 2nd was MMS, again, followed by cheering and clapping. Again, something that should have been included in even the first iphone 2 or 3 years ago. Next we get onto the camera and I would like to quote the exact words from apple, "The awesome 3.2mp camera" with video capabilities (again the crowd goes wild). Next you have the Voice "Control" which is Apples version of voice dialing but with an extra added feature which reads you the track thats playing, sometime which pretty much every phone I have ever owned has done, so why should it be special to Apple? The thing that got me the most was the "State of the art Battery, with a talk time of up to 5hrs on 3G which, to be fair, is pretty reasonable, but isnt exactly state of the art, but because its on the iphone, it is.

Can none of you guys see what Apple are doing? I mean at the end of the day, reading through things on here, it seems like Apple have brainwashed you guys into thinking this phone is "4 years ahead of its time" when it quite clearly isnt. Ok, I understand its not all about specs, and yes, the OS is undoubtedly the best OS on a phone, but I just feel a little hard done by from Apple. I mean these are basic things that i would expect a phone to do for £60-£80 give or take, and this phone is the most expensive mainstream phone on the market, and you guys still think that its the dogs ********. Do you honest feel that a 3.2mp camera is good enough when we have had at least 5mp around for a good few years? Do you think its acceptable to feel that you guys are having to pay a premium for something that even a basic phone should be doing?

No doubt about it, Apples marketing technique is the best around, but I see right through it. I have used an iphone on an extensive basis, and I have an ipod touch, so its not like I have never used one. Just think, sit there and think what you would be saying if Nokia, or Samsung, or LG, or SE released a new flagship phone with the specs of this thing, with its selling points being a 3.2MP camera and a larger memory, and wanted to charge you £270 odd quid to upgrade to it. Would you be praising it? I dont think so. I honestly, honestly dont see all the hype here. Yes its useable, Yes it has a great web browser, but in my eyes its not worth it. And the worst thing is is that Apple are trying to make it seem like its groundbreaking when it quite clearly isnt.

Please, enlighten me and tell me what im missing.

Ben
8th June 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm sure all that clapping and cheering was because the crowd were sooo impressed with those oh so basic features ;) Apple events have an element of theatre to them. Seriously. it's often not that far away from "It's behind you!"

Also bear in mind that the audience is American. These are people who stand up and clap and cheer when they're at the cinema. As if the people on screen can hear them.

I use my iPhone so completely that it 110% justifies the hype. YMMV!

a_ukboy
8th June 2009, 11:58 PM
Im sorry, but I have to agree with Dan here. I sat there and watched the whole WWDC event live and I have to say, I was actually laughing when it came to the bit about the iphone. Please let me explain the reasons why I dislike the iphone.

During the event, a few things happened. Firstly, they announced copy and paste. The crowd cheered and clapped. Why? Its something that should have been included in the first place. 2nd was MMS, again, followed by cheering and clapping. Again, something that should have been included in even the first iphone 2 or 3 years ago. Next we get onto the camera and I would like to quote the exact words from apple, "The awesome 3.2mp camera" with video capabilities (again the crowd goes wild). Next you have the Voice "Control" which is Apples version of voice dialing but with an extra added feature which reads you the track thats playing, sometime which pretty much every phone I have ever owned has done, so why should it be special to Apple? The thing that got me the most was the "State of the art Battery, with a talk time of up to 5hrs on 3G which, to be fair, is pretty reasonable, but isnt exactly state of the art, but because its on the iphone, it is.

Can none of you guys see what Apple are doing? I mean at the end of the day, reading through things on here, it seems like Apple have brainwashed you guys into thinking this phone is "4 years ahead of its time" when it quite clearly isnt. Ok, I understand its not all about specs, and yes, the OS is undoubtedly the best OS on a phone, but I just feel a little hard done by from Apple. I mean these are basic things that i would expect a phone to do for £60-£80 give or take, and this phone is the most expensive mainstream phone on the market, and you guys still think that its the dogs ********. Do you honest feel that a 3.2mp camera is good enough when we have had at least 5mp around for a good few years? Do you think its acceptable to feel that you guys are having to pay a premium for something that even a basic phone should be doing?

No doubt about it, Apples marketing technique is the best around, but I see right through it. I have used an iphone on an extensive basis, and I have an ipod touch, so its not like I have never used one. Just think, sit there and think what you would be saying if Nokia, or Samsung, or LG, or SE released a new flagship phone with the specs of this thing, with its selling points being a 3.2MP camera and a larger memory, and wanted to charge you £270 odd quid to upgrade to it. Would you be praising it? I dont think so. I honestly, honestly dont see all the hype here. Yes its useable, Yes it has a great web browser, but in my eyes its not worth it. And the worst thing is is that Apple are trying to make it seem like its groundbreaking when it quite clearly isnt.

Its an Apple!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist, TBH though you are totally right on that, i mean i have one and love it, but compared to my N95 the specs are crap!! and how old is that now? 3yrs or more

chagle
9th June 2009, 12:18 AM

You're totally right - But when you start getting Apple stuff, Apple seem to put a spell on you.. but all this Apple stuff gives you a nice warm feeling!

Hey, but I love it! :-)

chagle
9th June 2009, 12:20 AM
There doesn't seem to be an Upgrade option with O2 for the new 3GS. Looks like you have to pay your 6 months up before you can upgrade?

I could be wrong... Anyway, can't wait for next Wednesday!

Can't wait to try "find my phone" - Might even do the remote erase for a bit of fun! :eek:

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 02:39 AM
Its official - the 3.0 software update is going to be available June 17

Download the 3.0 Software Update.

Available June 17.

Source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

miffed
9th June 2009, 07:06 AM
Blimey Charlie !!

PAYG Prices :eek:

iPhone 3G 8GB - £342.50
iPhone 3G S 16GB - £440.40
iPhone 3G S 32GB - £538.30

miffed
9th June 2009, 07:11 AM
Right , so on my £35 tariff , they want £184 for the little one , £284 for the big one ......

....About this HTC Magic ? :)

solo12002
9th June 2009, 08:10 AM
Blimey Charlie !!

PAYG Prices :eek:

iPhone 3G 8GB - £342.50
iPhone 3G S 16GB - £440.40
iPhone 3G S 32GB - £538.30

Now what did apple say about the 8Gb iphone being cut to £69 pounds?

miffed
9th June 2009, 10:50 AM
Well , just done a little maths , and to be fair to O2/ Apple , I think them NOT offering me a "cheap" upgrade path is pretty fair and understandable

Since being with them at launch of the original iPhone , I have paid them £35 per month , I have not gone over my bundle , so thats all they have had - I have paid them a total of £665

I got a 2G at launch , And a 3G 16GB at launch + 19 months of Texts , minutes and Unlimited net

Looking at it this way , it is understandable why they might have to draw the line somewhere !!

chaslam
9th June 2009, 11:34 AM
I understand about the "Apple addiction" having owned over 5 macs in just about as man years, but I really cant understand why someone would pay such a huge price for such a basic phone, that imo, isnt even that great, and something that a fairly basic touchscreen Samsung or a N97 would do? I mean on my 5800 (or soon to be N97 when I pick my one I won up form the Nokia store on the 19th :D) has all my emails pushed to it, just like the iphone, battery lasts just as long as my friends iphone, touchscreen is just as responsive. Ok its Browser is a little less user friendly, and its interface isn't quite so basic, but hell it costs £350 cheaper for a better spec! I just dont get it, and I think thats where Getti is coming from aswell.

Ben
9th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Hmm, yeah, so far it doesn't look like O2 are offering upgrades... they're saying to upgrade your software instead, basically...

...I want the new one.

miffed
9th June 2009, 11:42 AM
:mad:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 12:01 PM
I understand about the "Apple addiction" having owned over 5 macs in just about as man years, but I really cant understand why someone would pay such a huge price for such a basic phone, that imo, isnt even that great, and something that a fairly basic touchscreen Samsung or a N97 would do? I mean on my 5800 (or soon to be N97 when I pick my one I won up form the Nokia store on the 19th :D) has all my emails pushed to it, just like the iphone, battery lasts just as long as my friends iphone, touchscreen is just as responsive. Ok its Browser is a little less user friendly, and its interface isn't quite so basic, but hell it costs £350 cheaper for a better spec! I just dont get it, and I think thats where Getti is coming from aswell.

The "addiction" carries across into the iPhone and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the technical specification. That would explain the inexplicable attraction of the device, even to those who have previously never owned an Apple product.

In short it is the experience, nothing less, nothing more. What other handset arrives in a box without any user manual? It is a total appliance, take it out of the box and it works first time. Press the power button and it tells you what to do next. Look at the simple screen and every standard icon tells you exactly what it is, press one and you're in there. The whole thing is completely intuitive and people [obviously] like that.

With regard to the Nokia N97 the question has to be whether or not Nokia can match the experience. Google Android (HTC) have come close, in my opinion, with the HTC Magic - but it is still not quite the match for the iPhone experience even though technologically the handset is more advanced, can send MMS and forward SMS.

See? Its not just the iPhone technology - I keep on about the experience and when propping the iPhone up against the HTC Magic, for example, I find that the Apple product has so much more support in the form of Apps. Yes, the Google Android device has a wide and varied selection but the class and sophistication of the apps on the Apple Apps Store are significantly ahead of those on Android Market.

And that is something that Nokia are going to have a tough job following on Ovi, with its currently poor support following of developers. Who wants to write for Symbian when there is the glorious landscape of OS X and Android? I truly do not know, but for Nokia's sake one has to hope that they have got a loyal and capable following of developers. Oh, and they'll have to get Ovi to become at least somewhat stable.

iPhone software 3.0 will address a ton of shortcomings of the iPhone functionality over many bog-standard handsets. iPhone 3GS addresses some hardware shortfalls inasmuch as the camera and a magnetometer (HTC Magic has one of those). But in hardware terms it does not leapfrog any of its opposition.

I am sceptical that I would want to pay a large amount of money to own one and would be content to let my existing O2 contract run to its end before making the next decision.

miffed
9th June 2009, 12:37 PM
There is a hell of a lot to be said for the "iphone experience"

As you rightly point out Chaslam , Nokia (etc) have been knocking out S60 phones that can do the same tasks for yonks
...So how come Symbian didn't achieve 50,000 apps in its first 9 months (or ay 9 months I suspect !!) or sales 1,000,000,000 apps in the same timescale
65% of ALL worldwide mobile browser use in 18 months ?

Surely the above suggest either the iPhone is a bit special , or Steve Jobs is some kind of hypnotist ?
Of course , you (and probably a lot of others) will probably keep a totally straight face while suggesting the latter is true :D - But in reality it is definately the former !

gorilla
9th June 2009, 12:50 PM
Just to add my opinion!

There is no way 3G S will sell as many devices as the 3G, primarilary because at the minute there is no viable upgrade route. I honestly thought that at month 12 iPhone users would be allowed to upgrade to the 3G S for £XXX (the same price new customers pay) as long as they signed a new 18 month contract. At this point, I might as well buy the PAYG version as it's nearly the same price as the upgrade. In 6 months, I wont be tied to an O2 contract, surely that's a risk to O2?

Someone should put a poll up asking who is going to upgrade now, buy the PAYG, do nothing, move to another device.

chaslam
9th June 2009, 12:54 PM
See ive used one for a few weeks, and I have an ipod touch, and I honestly really dont see what all the hype is about. Yes its a great operating system and yes its user friendly, but for me, thats about as far as it goes. By no means am I saying its a bad phone, but the thing that annoys me is all the hype about it. I mean come on, it doesnt cost Apple to bring it up to the specs standards of the latest devices to make it competitive does it? Its probably the least competitively priced phone out of the lot, and if you asked the majority of people in the UK and indeed the world why they own one, they will say "Because it looks nice". The amount of people who come into my work with one and dont even know how to browse the web on it is unreal. Regardless of how easy you make the operating system, there are still going to be loads of donuts that dont know how to use it, even if its just pressing one button!

Like I said, I think the operating system is great, I just dont understand how people can get so exited about a slightly better camera, video, and a slightly larger memory, when the OS is exactly the same, and are prepared to go out and spend another £200-300 upgrading to it. At the end of the day its apples marketing that have got them to this stage.

And, also, the reason its been so popular is because its got an Apple logo on it. Lets be honest. If you asked an iphone owner what operating system it ran on they wouldnt have a clue. It just annoys me that they can charge so much for such a basic device, and people still buy into it. Maybe im just missing something with the OS, and maybe im one in a million people that just doesnt find it that great as to what its been hyped up to be, or maybe its because I can actually use a phone unlike the majority of people who own a phone (no disrespect to you guys haha im not saying you dont, but im going back to hands0ns point about simplicity) but I dont know.

Also, hardware wise, I have yet to physically meet someone who owns a iphone that hasnt had some sort of hardware issue. I know someone who has had 6 iphones, someone who has had 3, and all the others are on their 2nd. Does this not say something about the build quality seeing how much they are charging for it?

Dont get me wrong, I love Apple, they are a great company, but I just cant see this one, even after using the device, I just dont get it.

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 01:21 PM
.....At the end of the day its apples marketing that have got them to this stage. .....

Actually, I would disagree with that. I believe that the success behind the iPhone in terms of marketing [only] is the fact that Apple have had to do very little indeed to market the device. Viral advertising has been the reason for the iPhone's global spread and acceptance. What other handset, ever, has had the watchers and followers that the iPhone has? I would challenge anyone to name one :)

A good example of Viral has got to be the sheer number of YouTube videos, enthusiast and industry watcher websites and the forums that have sprung up around the iPhone. These all spread the word, whatever it is, like widlfire. Everyone is out for a scoop, and even if they can't get it they will either regurgitate information or invent it.

Such has been the wild-eyed speculation about the new iPhone 3GS that we have seen it contain every technology known to man, and then some. It is a wonder that people weren't anticipating Star Trek transporter tech in the little device! :rolleyes:

Hardly any of the speculation has come to fruition, the reality pales against the forecasts from all of the pundits. Even supposedly industry-watchers got the iPhone 3GS quite wide of the mark. Hardly much of what was forecast has appeared. And still the bandwagon rolls on.

Steve Jobs, and Apple, must be thanking their gods on bended knee for all of this free global advertising. Brass bands and ticker-tape parades could not do more for the iPhone presence!

And why is this happening? What is it about the iPhone that whips up the fans and the haters into equally sized portions of frenzy? Perhaps that is one question for the historians to answer in a few decades time ;)

Turning for a brief moment to how the masses use their iPhones. It is clear form the stats that very many of them use it to browse. I would think that a similar amount use it for their eMail (although many of those I talk with still don't get it as to why you'd want to have your email on the go). Others will use IM clients successfully on the go. But I do not think that the general user has yet got to the stage of many of us enthusiasts on the forums.

I do not think that people have yet advanced their desire to have available all of the comms that they can do on their PC/Mac to a device in their pocket. That the iPhone (and for that matter Android) devices eagerly lend themselves to this duty is without question. And they do it very well indeed, the "experience" is generally a positive one.

I use my iPhone (and HTC Magic interchangeably) at will to access information that I want to retrieve on the go, anywhere. It is always mildly amusing to be with a crowd who are mulling over some face or piece of information or the other, and getting nowhere. Within seconds of taking out my handset I have the answer to the question, much to their bemusement. They do not even consider doing this, even though some of them have iPhones, Google G1s and HTC Magics. Not yet, they dont :D But they're getting the hint, is my perception.

Couple all of that to the location-based apps - Google Maps, Flixter, Locly etc.. and now you can be anywhere and locate almost any resource without having to find a friendly Copper (a miracle in itself).

It is a brave new world, and we're at the spearhead :)

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 01:22 PM
Apologies for the length of those last two - this technology gets me all a bit evangelical :D :D

But I do also fear that it is going to create a societal divide in time to come!

Ben
9th June 2009, 02:12 PM
See, for me the allure is pretty simple, lol, and has very little to do with the hype.

1) Mail is fantastic, both push MobileMe and IMAP for my work Google Mail. Easy to read and reply, all folders remain in sync, no problems viewing attachments.
2) VPN. With a touch all my data travels via VPN to my office, giving me access to all the internal bits and pieces I need to be able to work remotely without firing up the laptop.
3) Apps. I have an app called TouchTerm meaning I've got SSH on the move, again without firing up the laptop. Add in the VPN and I'm set.
4) Safari. Big one this. All of my bookmarks are sync'd OTA, constantly, meaning all those long intranet URLs and other important links are with me all the time. And with MobileMe all of my browsers are sync'd, even Safari on Windows, 5 browsers in all - always faultless.
5) Contacts, all sync'd OTA, I never have to think about them.
6) Calendars, again all OTA. I use MobileMe for my calendaring.
7) The iPod is phenomenal. I use my iPod functionality of my iPhone more than I've ever used a standalone MP3 player or MP3 player on a phone. The on-handset music store is fantastic, I was even buying songs via WiFi while I was in Spain recently, and I know that whatever I buy will get sync'd to the rest of my library seamlessly when I get back.
8) Weather widget. Lol. Sorry, but I love being able to check the weather in 5 different cities, 5 day forecast, at the touch of a button.
9) Stocks widget. Again, a bit of a lol, but I find it incredibly useful and have it customised with the market data I need to keep track of.
10) Finally , enough battery power for me to use my iPhone all day long, seamless connectivity over 2G, EDGE, 3G and WiFi with unlimited data usage (really unlimited), a fantastic touch interface, really accurate and intuitive GPS/mapping, easy view of the times in various different cities I need to know the times for, my last 12 months of photos ready to show people whenever I want to, Remote for my AppleTV - there's just so much good stuff.

So, you see, it's a no brainer for me. The iPhone feels about 5 years ahead of anything else in terms of how it has empowered me to do more. Show me another phone that can do half of that stuff better than my iPhone can and I'll eat my stapler.

Tech specs don't matter. Doing everything that I just talked about above, well, that's the ball game.

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 02:45 PM
Ben is "special" :D

solo12002
9th June 2009, 09:55 PM

Yes thats what his CPN said, as he put him into a padded cell!!

Ben
9th June 2009, 11:32 PM
Lol, I can understand why others find the iPhone phenomenon a little hard to comprehend, even after using the device. Hopefully I've managed to write why I find it such a liberation!

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 07:08 AM
Lol, I can understand why others find the iPhone phenomenon a little hard to comprehend, even after using the device. Hopefully I've managed to write why I find it such a liberation!

*Nods*

It is difficult indeed to get across quite how pervasive the iPhone can become to daily life. I use it in very much the same way as does Ben, for me it is a ready reference tool to the knowledge base that is the Internet.

As a communications tool it is near-unsurpassable and with the imminent 3.0 software will meet its built-in shortcomings.

I've written before about "the experience" of using one of these and that is surely led by the superb Internet browser application. It may not do Flash but that is not a significant issue for me. I have found few websites that I use where this deficit has been a deal-breaker. And the web statistics speak volumes where the iPhone has become the dominant mobile web browser by far.

Liberating? Well yes, in the sense that I have found it less essential to have to carry a laptop around with me. Also yes, in the sense that I have unparalleled access to much of what I use a desktop/laptop for within the iPhone.

gorilla
10th June 2009, 01:11 PM
The big issue for me with the iPhone 3G will indeed be the lack of support for flash and I will have to jailbreak if I want to record a video on the fly. I've made do thus far and will probably continue to for the reason HandsOn states above.

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 07:23 PM
The full WWDC 2009 Keynote Address is now available for download to your iPhone/iPod from iTunes