View Full Version : iPhone 3GS - What are you gonna do ?

miffed
9th June 2009, 05:30 PM
Well , it wasn't my idea - but it was a pretty good one ! so here we go....

What do you intend to do ?

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 05:42 PM
I can't see the benefit of the options to get one sooner rather than later, nor will I stay on the 3G at the end of the contract period. I always like to renew my handset, otherwise the network is getting all the benefit of airtime and no handset subsidy to me.

There is too little in the 3G S to draw me to it with a high capital outlay.

miffed
9th June 2009, 06:00 PM
Yep , agreed totally ! I have never been bothered about the performance of the camera TBH , so the only things I'll be wishing I had are the increased RAM etc. and the 32GB storage

At the moment I am convinced I don't want the 3GS (Scarily though , I did make all the same noises at the launch of the 3G :o )
I have voted that I'll get the 3GS at the end of my contract (Feb 10 ? ) - but I must be honest , I'll either want that for next to nothing , or I may just not bother !!
I have the itch for a new device NOW , I am fighting it well at the moment , but not sure how long I will be able to , and if progression continues the way it has (Palm Pre , HTC Magic , Nokia N97 (no , thats just silly !! :) ) then I may end up in a position where I am not in the market for a new handset (or at least not one with mediocre increments on my current iPhone ) when upgrade time comes along - especially with the likelyhood of ANOTHER new model due 4-5 months on from that , I'd be silly to get 3GS ! ... I wonder if o2 /Apple have considered that ?

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Thinking about it, there is likely to be a very poor showing of people upgrading or buying out their contracts. The value proposition is not the same as it was on the original 2G deal. Nor does it match the 2G to 3G update.

Consider the situation - a cash strapped general public, a hardware point upgrade, huge upgrade / buyout costs, none of which are attractive to those with a perfectly serviceable 3G and Software 3.0

gorilla
9th June 2009, 06:50 PM
My feeling is this could be the turning point for O2 and Apple. As stated above, the upgrade cost is too much in comparison to what you get. I'd be tempted to buy the PAYG (not having won the lottery, I'd be using other means!) just so I'd have the option of an alternative in January (when my contract is up). If you sell your existing 3G handset, then the PAYG is not that expensive, given that you're not tied to a contract. I just feel that Apple have missed an opportunity here. If they were selling a sim free handset, say the 16GB version for £250 - £299 they would dominate the cell phone market in next to no time. Maybe I underestimate how much Apple are earning from their deal with O2?

getti
9th June 2009, 06:56 PM
Spoke to the guys in my local O2 store today about the 3GS. They all know me (all phone shops in town know me, im a well known phone geek lol)

The guy i know most was saying most of today they have either had phone calls with people complaining they cant upgrade early to the 3GS, or the other 1/2 who could were put off by the price.

Apple and O2 have dropped serious iPoop with the 3GS either charing too much and pricing themselves out of the market.

I do understand that with the iPhone, the original had customers paying full price so when the 3G one came out at a lower cost it was like a normal phone so therefore not a normal upgrade but customers wont see it that way.

PAYG pricing is just plain stupid, £540 for a 32GB locked handset?. Walk over the road in London and you can get a Nokia N97 with better camera, better connectivity, expandable memory, unlocked and have more features.

now i know the N97 is not as popular as the iPhone beucause of the big Apple following but when you look at the details in more detail Apple are in real trouble at putting people off

miffed
9th June 2009, 07:01 PM
If this is the case , then I think Apple / o2 will realise they are failing pretty quickly and rectify the situation with a price cut , or some kind of early upgrade compromise ( possiblly a 24mth upgrade option , who knows ? )

I feel Apple are pretty good at this reactive stuff (Touches wood ! )

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 07:10 PM
..... Walk over the road in London and you can get a Nokia N97 with better camera, better connectivity, expandable memory, unlocked and have more features.

... and no software, weak dev support, weak/no cloud apps, and a completely unknown quantity right now ... In that context I'm having real trouble with "better" unless thats simply because its made by Nokia that makes it so.

now i know the N97 is not as popular as the iPhone beucause of the big Apple following but when you look at the details in more detail Apple are in real trouble at putting people off

The N97 isn't even out so it hasn't had a chance to ramp up sales - we'll have to wait and see how the stock shifts from the dealers once it is in full release. The Nokia following, if you believe what some will write, is vastly greater in numbers than stinky old Apple. It is equally loyal and evangelical, I would suggest. So in theory at least, Nokia should have no trouble at all in shifting the N97.

But will it truly be "better", and if so in what sense? Technology sells, but experience sells more still - witness the hopelessly outpaced iPhone wiping the floor with all of its opposition to date.

Nokia are going to get a shot at the iPhone crown, but they're going to have to do a damn sight better than Ovi to grab it.

miffed
9th June 2009, 07:23 PM
LOL @ N97 !! :D

Seriously though, the Palm Pre and the Android offerings may not be perfect , but they have DEFINATELY set a course in persuit of the what makes the iPhone "special" , whereas Nokia appear to be still fiddling with the box their compass came in !
Nokia are GREAT at what they do , its just that what they do at the moment isn't entirely relevant - If and when the penny drops with them , the they might cause Apple some trouble.

Must say I am pondering an HTC Magic or a Pre myself ... :)

getti
9th June 2009, 07:54 PM
... In that context I'm having real trouble with "better" unless thats simply because its made by Nokia that makes it so..

Aint that a big reason the iPhone is so popular though... because its Apple and Apple fans will buy it even if it had a VGA camera and a black and white screen

Hands0n
9th June 2009, 08:35 PM
Aint that a big reason the iPhone is so popular though... because its Apple and Apple fans will buy it even if it had a VGA camera and a black and white screen

Apple fans might well do just that. But that would not explain the buyers who've never before bought Apple product. The iPhone, like the iPod, has had a "halo effect" for Apple bringing people into the Mac world like never before.

Nokia, on the other hand, are a world famous brand for mobile phones. One has to wonder if they'd do so well if they went into personal computers - would there be a halo effect there?

hecatae
9th June 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm still waiting for the Iphone Classic with Click Wheel, I dont do touch screen ;)

solo12002
9th June 2009, 09:52 PM
I dont have a iphone yet. But I think apple have just done what Nokia is very good at. Issuing mobile phones then 6 to 12 months later re issue it with an i at the end of it.

I am disapointed in the new iphone, theres not that much in the 3g to the 3gs to make anyone want to upgrade and the prices are well OTT. AS for a 24 moth contract forget it.

To me apple have missed the boat here if the price was right they would of been on a winner but £500 plus come off it.

I was thinking of buying one, but the prices are to high even for the PAYG one at 8Gb.

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 07:11 AM
So far, according to our poll, Apple and O2 are not going to be making too many early day sales of the iPhone 3G S.

MrBriz
10th June 2009, 09:20 AM
*Sighs* I was really looking forward to the new hardware, but I've been priced out! £210 to cancel my contract + £280 for the phone! No thanks. If I was interested I might as well buy the PayG!

After buying one contract iPhone + 2 PayG ones this year I think I'm going to have to stop giving Apple some money for a while :D

Never mind. I guess I'm going to have to wait for the iPhone 2010!

miffed
10th June 2009, 12:16 PM
Trouble is , I have been treating my 3G like crap lately , it has an issue where it shuts down occasionally (not often now !) and also the battery ain't what it used to be , but I have been ignoring these issues in anticipation of a shiny new iPhone :mad:

Looks like I need to address these issues now , bugger !

gorilla
10th June 2009, 01:21 PM
What is intriguing me now, is what handsets will be on offer in 6 months time i.e. 18 months after the 3G was released? Will there be a host of Android devices? A samsung with 8MP camera, video etc running Android would be pretty sweet. Will people leave the iPhone to take up with Android or even Nokia :p

This is the reason why I think Apple and O2 have made a mistake with the pricing model of the 3GS.

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 01:43 PM
There is a lot of merit in what gorila says.

The field is no longer all Apple's. The Android series are going to be a significant spoiler. Apple and to a lesser degree O2 should make their forecasts carefully and not be dismissive of the competition.

Having full time access to an iPhone 3G and an HTC Magic, and with occasional access to a T-mobile G1, I can safely say that Apple no longer have full posession of the ball.

Finer points aside it is safe to say that Android represents the greatest threat to the iPhone bar none. That many manufacturers are just about to drop their products into circulation this year makes Apple's pricing strategy decidedly risky.

If Apple get this wrong and disaffect the existing iPhone owner they could find the short term gain looking decidedly foolish in a few months time as contracts mature (mine is in Dec 09).

miffed
10th June 2009, 01:45 PM
What is intriguing me now, is what handsets will be on offer in 6 months time i.e. 18 months after the 3G was released? Will there be a host of Android devices? A samsung with 8MP camera, video etc running Android would be pretty sweet. Will people leave the iPhone to take up with Android or even Nokia :p

This is the reason why I think Apple and O2 have made a mistake with the pricing model of the 3GS.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier ! especially considering that
the 3GS will be 2/3 into it's lifespan . Even if you choose to stay with Apple , would you choose a "soon to be updated" 3GS or wait for a 4GS ? (or whatever they'll call it !)
I am geniunely starting to wonder whether this is really a "full scale" release , or just an interim - and maybe Apple may surprise us with the next "Proper" iPhone arriving in Feb 10 ? ?

getti
10th June 2009, 02:01 PM
Well I am annoyed at O2. I called them and said i have a Sim Only and saw they offer Tethering bolt-ons so you can use your phone as a modem.

Could i cancel the £7.50 one I have and use the £15 one instead for 3GB of phone and modem use.

....No

The Tethering bolt-on is for iPhone 3G ONLY!. So all those O2 customer who for months have been asking for a bolt-on to allow modem use on their phone have their wish but as long as they have a iPhone 3G. if you have a N97, W995, Treo or any other smartphone and using on O2 you have to use the £7.50 handset only option.

That sucks!

miffed
10th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Well I am annoyed at O2. I called them and said i have a Sim Only and saw they offer Tethering bolt-ons so you can use your phone as a modem.

Could i cancel the £7.50 one I have and use the £15 one instead for 3GB of phone and modem use.

....No

The Tethering bolt-on is for iPhone 3G ONLY!. So all those O2 customer who for months have been asking for a bolt-on to allow modem use on their phone have their wish but as long as they have a iPhone 3G. if you have a N97, W995, Treo or any other smartphone and using on O2 you have to use the £7.50 handset only option.

That sucks!

^^^^^ I've come to learn that when you make post like this ,it is normally followed by the announcement that you've just signed a new contract with the offending network ! ;)

....Looks like we have our first 3GS customer folks !!:D

Congrats !!

miffed
10th June 2009, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, 3GS .... - Thought it sounded familiar

I have heard rumours that the next model will be the "Ultra" - or as it will be known
The 3GSU :cool:

getti
10th June 2009, 05:22 PM
^^^^^ I've come to learn that when you make post like this ,it is normally followed by the announcement that you've just signed a new contract with the offending network ! ;)

....Looks like we have our first 3GS customer folks !!:D

Congrats !!

Not this time. PAC code has come through by text and I am porting it over to my PAYG T-Mobile SIM ready for the Nokia N86 as I want it for the camera and its out next month.

3GScottishUser
10th June 2009, 06:05 PM
Looking at the revisions it hardly seems like its worth the bother to upgrade to the 3GS.

Wow...a 3MP camera and (Fanfare) Video!!

Usual Apple nonsense...... lots of hype, inflated prices and more style than substance.

Sorry but I am not convinced in the least.

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 07:05 PM
... And the Mangnetometer , don't forget that too :D

A typical point release - pretty much along the lines of the Nokia N95, N95 8GB and the N96. They're all at it ...

The big score is iPhone software 3.0 - thats where the big bucks are at ...

miffed
10th June 2009, 07:11 PM
I know - when I was a lad , I remember making a compass out of a needle and a saucer of water - to think techology has come so far that they can put one in a £500 smartphone really shows how far we've come !

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 07:13 PM
I'm just so much amazed at how they've managed to squeeze that saucer of water into such a small space. You'd think there were none available what with the size of the battery and the electronics ;)

gorilla
10th June 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm just so much amazed at how they've managed to squeeze that saucer of water into such a small space. You'd think there were none available what with the size of the battery and the electronics ;)

I wonder if they'll still replace phones with water damage caused by said compass. :o

I think we should stop now before someone actually believes. It is an Apple product after all.

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 08:11 PM
Aha! The trick is that it uses Apple water :D

3GScottishUser
10th June 2009, 08:26 PM
The 3GS is yet another example of branding beating functionality.

Apple have been delivering less for years, nice styling, some unique apps but at more than twice the price of a comparable PC product.

The i-phone was an innovation but now others have caught up (Android, Windows Mobile 6.1/5) and Apple have fobbed off their supporters with some truly 3rd rate specs on their latest product.

HTC, Palm, Samsung and LG must be looking at the 3GS with astonishment and will probably win many new users who have sampled smartphone technology via Apple.

gorilla
10th June 2009, 08:37 PM
@HandsOn I'd forgotten about it "being" Apple water, D'oh!

Back on topic

Look at what vodafone are selling the HTC Magic at and the tariff you get as well, isn't it free on a £35 per month/18 month contract? That's much cheaper than the iPhone and will probably exceed most peoples demand for a phone. For me (who's life is run by google) it's a compelling selling point.

miffed
10th June 2009, 08:40 PM
P4U are doing the Magic on a 24 month contract , 100 mins & 500 sms + Unlimited internet (I could live with this TBH ) Free phone , £25 PM

Must admit I am tempted to have a go

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 09:36 PM
You'll get the HTC Magic free on Vodafone also (I did) with something daft like 600 mins, unlimited SMS (thats 3,000 FUP) and unlimited Internet (thats 500MB but they say they won't automatically charge you for going over, they'll discuss with you first and if persistent offending then and only then may start out of bundle charging).

I wouldn't be quite a scathing as 3GSU :D - for sure brand has a part to play - but really and truly it is the sheer experience aided and abetted by the superb quality of professional apps that set the iPhone apart. Don't forget, I have the HTC Magic also, and putting the two up together side by side the differences are much more subtle than the mere technical specs that everyone seems to hang on to for dear life.

We will see with Nokia's new entry that it is stuff all to do with specs and more to do with what you can do with it, the overall experience that will count. The Nokia N95 proved that, a marvel of technology but barely usable in the context of the likes of the iPhone and its current day Android rivals. The N95 never once inspired me to use the Internet on it. At the very best I used it as a simple tether!

The 3G S has some selling points if that is what you particularly want or need. But I cannot accept it as a natural upgrade to the 3G.

Ben
11th June 2009, 01:09 AM
The 3GS is yet another example of branding beating functionality.

Apple have been delivering less for years, nice styling, some unique apps but at more than twice the price of a comparable PC product.

The i-phone was an innovation but now others have caught up (Android, Windows Mobile 6.1/5) and Apple have fobbed off their supporters with some truly 3rd rate specs on their latest product.

HTC, Palm, Samsung and LG must be looking at the 3GS with astonishment and will probably win many new users who have sampled smartphone technology via Apple.
Do you have no eyeses (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=33280&postcount=43)?!

Caught up my arse!

chagle
11th June 2009, 06:39 AM
I voted buy PAYG - But still working out the figures! I like the idea of PAYG, then when it comes to the end of the contract, slipping in a Simplicity SIM in the iPhone.

Still thinking - BUT def getting the 3GS, the 3G is on eBay already! :D

@NickyColman
11th June 2009, 09:22 PM
I pre-ordered my iPhone 3G(S) / [S] / {S} or however you spell it.

I got a text from Carphone Warehouse and rang them to pre order. They took all the details from me and said it would be delivered on the 19th. . . but im not too sure if thats a definite!

I remember hearing horror stories from last years launch when delivery vans didnt turn up and people who had ordered were later told the handset was out of stock!

Ben
11th June 2009, 11:32 PM
I pre-ordered my iPhone 3G(S) / [S] / {S} or however you spell it.

I got a text from Carphone Warehouse and rang them to pre order. They took all the details from me and said it would be delivered on the 19th. . . but im not too sure if thats a definite!

I remember hearing horror stories from last years launch when delivery vans didnt turn up and people who had ordered were later told the handset was out of stock!
You're not an iPhone customer atm?

I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if it were an option. I'll just have to make do with 3.0 for a bit and take it from there.

@NickyColman
11th June 2009, 11:39 PM
You're not an iPhone customer atm?

I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if it were an option. I'll just have to make do with 3.0 for a bit and take it from there.

Ben, yeah I am. However I'm taking out a second contract and selling my current iPhone and using that money to pay off my contract. See?

chaslam
12th June 2009, 08:05 AM
This is actually quite an interesting read. Some parts I agree with, some parts I dont. Whats your view?

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/Blogs/264742/james_the_iphone_3g_s_is_a_cleverlystaged_con.html

Ben
12th June 2009, 09:27 AM
Ben, yeah I am. However I'm taking out a second contract and selling my current iPhone and using that money to pay off my contract. See?
Cunning :p You porting your number out and back again to keep it?

This is actually quite an interesting read. Some parts I agree with, some parts I dont. Whats your view?

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/Blogs/264742/james_the_iphone_3g_s_is_a_cleverlystaged_con.html
In a nutshell, the upgrade is a ripoff for any existing iPhone 3G customers, but the free software update is pretty amazing. Seems like a fair enough cop.

I wonder if this flip/flop style of development will continue with the iPhone and from now on we'll see major hardware revisions followed by refinement and new software. Whatever it is, those of us that are itching for a new phone but want that phone to be another iPhone are left pretty disappointed this time around.

gorilla
12th June 2009, 10:40 AM

Well the author doesn't recognise that the iPhone user experience will be twice as fast due to the upgraded processor. That means a lot to me. Opening apps will now not seem like an age and Safari will render pages twice as quickly which will speed up browsing.

I do agree with most of the other stuff, but I'm special :D and like most of us on here, I want a 1080p video camera, I want as many mega pixels as you can get, I want 160GB SSD, 8GB of ram and this is called the: iWantPhone ;) which wont really become a reality for a few years yet. Although, iWantItNow.