View Full Version : OS 3.0 - Wait or .....

miffed
10th June 2009, 06:43 PM
I have just .... accidently stumbled on the GM versions of 3.0

Whaddya reckon ?

... I am tempted to try the 2G , then if it all goes welll , have a go with the 3G ....

miffed
10th June 2009, 07:12 PM
Too late !

Hands0n
10th June 2009, 07:14 PM
What do you mean "stumbled" ??? Which did you do? the 3G or 2G? I'm going mad waiting it out for 17th .. but wait I must .. steady man .. hold the nerve ..

miffed
10th June 2009, 07:26 PM
OK OK , so when I say "stumbled" , I mean I was frantically scouring the net ! (actually , in reality it was ridiculously easy to find )

I have done the 2G , not sure I am ready to do the 3G - Although at the point of download there is the usual "Developer Warning" ,reports are that people are installing without developer accounts and all is working fine

All has gone well so far (a couple of quirks - i.e. the installation finished, then the phone booted up , then I started a restore - wasn't keeping to close an eye on exactly what happened , but the next time I look there was an Apple symbol and the "progress bar" as per the installation was there ( :confused: ) - not sure if this is something to do with the restore or what ?

Oh , and iTunes didn't want to activate the phone - it contains a PAYG SIM , which is registered as an iPhone sim, - but I got the error message "iTunes was unable to activate your iPhone as the SIM is invalid " or something - A reboot sorted that though
Just syncing now !

gorilla
10th June 2009, 07:52 PM
Well it's too late for me. I've had the beta's installed for a while now and updated earlier to the GM release. I immediately received a SMS from O2 stating that I could not send MMS yet, but that it was being added to my account (must be an automatic SMS).

It installed fine for me and pretty quickly. I would say that it's probably had a few tweaks since beta 5, nothing major obviously. I'll install the official firmware next week when it's released.

miffed
10th June 2009, 08:21 PM
Right , so here we are ! - 3.0 running nicely !

...Erm , what were the new features again ?

gorilla
10th June 2009, 08:32 PM
There's too many to mention...

there's...hmmm oh yes landscape email and SMS, MMS and er...
"there's over 100 new features" :)

Ben
11th June 2009, 01:12 AM
I'm staying well clear of the GM. I'll install when it's on public release.

I do have a developer touch with the latest whatevers on it... but anyone on here who reads my posts will know I rely way too much on my iPhone to chance mucking about with it.

Hands0n
11th June 2009, 06:58 AM
...I rely way too much on my iPhone to chance mucking about with it.

Ditto. Agonising as it is to wait it out, even the last few days until 17/6 ... I really cannot bring myself to put the iPhone 3G to risk. And that is even with the HTC Magic to act as back-up.

I've been tracking my usage of the device over the last few days. It is incredible how many times I refer to it now for all manner of things. It really is the personal computer in the pocket after so many false starts by other manufacturers.

miffed
11th June 2009, 08:36 AM
No such patience here ! Did the 2G last night , and all seemed well , so just did the 3G this morning :) ... I worked on the rationale that if I messed it up I'd have to get a 3GS ,but all seems to have gone well !
MMS worked straight out the box as it were - MMS's are simply shown in your SMS threads , with a picture in the bubble - when you receive an MMS you get a preview in the blue preview pane , which is nice. I had read a lot of people having problems with MMS set up , but mine just worked.

Something I am VERY pleased about , and was a big concern , was that everything seems quick enough - After the horrble contacts lag of 2.0 I was dreading opening contacts - but it all worked as well as before (whew ! )

Ben
11th June 2009, 08:42 AM
^ this sounds very promising.

miffed
11th June 2009, 08:45 AM
I'll PM you the link then Ben ;)

miffed
11th June 2009, 04:13 PM
Only thing I have noticed is that there is no "Internet tethering" icon present

...Not that I have any intention of using it , but thats not the point ....

Hands0n
13th June 2009, 08:44 AM
I have just .... accidently stumbled on the GM versions of 3.0

Whaddya reckon ?

... I am tempted to try the 2G , then if it all goes welll , have a go with the 3G ....

By the way - if you need a PAYG for your iPhone 3G you'd be hard pressed to better one of these iPhone PAYG SIMs on eBay for example http://tinyurl.com/nygk3j which comes with £10 top up pre-loaded and ready to activate :D

These SimCards are built for iPhone 3G but can be used with any Unlocked Mobile Phone, It includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 12 months At the end of the 12 months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. This is a PAYG SimCard and it will give you many extras, such as free LandLine and o2 mins every time you Top-up, if you are already an O2 PAYG or PAYG users on other netoworks, you can easily transfer your existing no. to your new numer and enjoy the free internet and landlines for 12 months. you can keep you existing no ClickHere for more information on transfering your existing no. you will not need any minimum top-ups to get free internet.

miffed
13th June 2009, 07:18 PM
What a funny old world ! , I was just (literally seconds ago) agreeing to let my daughter have the 2G and telling her she had the choice of either paying £10 pm for data or getting one of these , I was just popping in here before going to ebay to order one ! (saw one for either £2.79 or £3.79 earlier )

Noticing 3.0 is a little sluggish at times , of course a sluggish iPhone is 1000x quicker than a "normal" phone anyway , but it is still a tad annoying !

Hands0n
13th June 2009, 09:06 PM
LOL, thats so funny :)

The iPhone SIMs are usually around the price you mention but without being pre-loaded with the initial £10. The latter represents better value though because the SIM then ends up costing you less than £2. I know its only pennies, but it just seems a more cost effective proposition.

I don't know what to do with my iPhone 2G - its mint, lives in its box, unlikely to ever be a collectors item, but I just cant bring myself to part with it to the youngest ... Its too nickable to be given to a schoolkid (he's 15).

miffed
14th June 2009, 08:44 AM
I ordered the very one you linked to in the end , intrigued as to where these come from , as the seller claims to have around 150 !!

I was sort of "duped" into giving mine to the Daughter :D , I started out a cunning plan to justify my new 3GS (before I realised I didn't want or need one ) - I agreed to let the Wife have the 2G , she tried it - and then decided the camera wasn't really good enough for her , she uses her phone camera to take quite a few pictures , some for work , and the iPhone's performance in low light was simply not good enough (she came from an N73 , and that was poor enough in terms of low light pics) - so I can understand why
So , yesterday we ordered a ....... (drum roll !) LG Viewty !! - I told her to take a chance on it , As she simply wants to Phone , Text & take photo's I thought it was ideal at £100
....Leaving the 2G iPhone sitting there on the side , and me with few excuse left as to why the Daughter can't have it !!
Bless her, nearly every phone she has had , has had an unfortunate ending
Adieu ,2G ... Adieu :(

Hands0n
14th June 2009, 03:02 PM
I ordered the very one you linked to in the end , intrigued as to where these come from , as the seller claims to have around 150 !!

You will have to report back on how you got on with the SIM in a 2G. I cannot see any reason whatsoever for it not to work, especially as the selling point is to use it in non-iPhone handsets.

I wonder if O2 even care! After all, its more top-ups for the price of a little data - although I would have thought they'd cut anyone off who was tethering (i.e. using the likes of a Nokia N95 which tether wonderfully well).