View Full Version : Will O2 unlock your iPhone after your contract ends?

gorilla
10th June 2009, 08:02 PM
Title says it all? Isn't there a law that says handsets have to be unlocked (if customer requests it) after the minimum term has passed?

I'm in no way suggesting that anyone should get their iPhone unlocked during their contract period, but what will you do if you cancel with O2 and port to another network. Do you have to get a new phone?

Ben
11th June 2009, 01:13 AM
Interesting. I'd love to know what the unlock procedure entails (officially).

chagle
11th June 2009, 06:37 AM
Mmm, I never thought of that!

gorilla
11th June 2009, 09:42 AM
It would be a bit sly if you had to continue using the iPhone on O2, long after your contract had expired, especially now that they are going to continue selling the 3G.

I know you can unlock the 'original', but was there ever an official unlock? Are phones unlocked in the USA? The 2 year contracts over there are coming to an end shortly, so it would be interesting to see if AT&T/Apple allows those to be unlocked.

miffed
11th June 2009, 09:54 AM
I remember looking into this when I got my N95 , IIRC they networks are "supposed" to be able to offer an unlock solution at ANY point during the contract (they are not obliged to supply this without penalty - just provide it !)
But, at the end of the day it is obvious that this is going to be a fine example of OFCOM's "might" (or indeed lack of it )

I am pretty sure Apple / o2 will prove themselves above the law by default , because the body that should enforce it are far too busy sitting on their hands .
Would be interesting to see what happens though an if anyone can be bothered to push this to resolve.

gorilla
14th July 2009, 08:55 AM
While O2 should unlock the iPhone, it is evident that they don't have to. So it's a good job there is an unlock available, for free and thanks to others on this forum (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6975), they have proven it to work.

a_ukboy
27th July 2009, 11:57 AM
While O2 should unlock the iPhone, it is evident that they don't have to. So it's a good job there is an unlock available, for free and thanks to others on this forum (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6975), they have proven it to work.

But does that involve jailbracking it? I myself gave myself an early upgrade of the new 32g 3gs on pay as you go, now I would love it unlocked specially when my contract expires end of this year, am planning on leaving o2 because of very poor coverage where I need it most and would love to use my iPhone on either orange or t-mob but don't want it jailbroken specially if it invalidates my apple warranty?

nicko
6th January 2010, 12:42 AM
very interesting question and i will be able to answer this question next month as i had the 18 month contract for the ordinary iphone 3g which runs out on febuary 18th 2010 after purchasing the phone for£159.00 on a £35.00 a month contract and is the 16gb iphone.
As the contract runs out on this date i have not been contacted yet for a upgrade for the 3gs but may happen on the 18th of this month.
I m hoping they will unlock the phone so any sim could be used as i may have tried orange but can t see orange giving a 3g sim for the iphone unless a new iphone is purchased i think maybe the option will be a pay and go sim on o2 which ill probably have to beat out of them cause their probably blag my head to upgrade but technically the phone is mine after the 18months i would prefer to go on pay and go as i don t use the iphone as crazy as i thought there was a lot of downers when i first purchased it and its my second phone as a few months back the other had circuit board fault and was replaced by apple who where brilliant as it didn t cost anything due to still being under the 12 month warranty.

DBMandrake
6th January 2010, 12:18 PM
nicko,

I'm guessing you've not been following the news for the last few months ? :p

Good news then, since last November O2 will now officially unlock iPhone's on request.

A contract iPhone can be unlocked at any time for free (although you still have to keep paying the contract until complete) and initially Pay&Go iPhones could only be unlocked after 12 months for £15 but they had a change of heart and will now unlock those immediately as well.

You can do so from here:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

It does take a few weeks to process though, so I would suggest filling in the form ASAP so that it is done by the time your contract is up.

Even if you choose to stay with O2 on a monthly or Pay&Go SIM at that point, there is no harm in unlocking, and since you are currently on contract they will unlock it for no charge if you do it now.

As for Orange, they will sell you a 3G Pay&Go SIM or a SIM only monthly contract with a 3G SIM, but when you ask for a SIM you must be clear that you want a 3G SIM (or tell them it's for the iPhone) as by default they sell 2G only SIM's. (How do I know ? Grrrrrrr :rolleyes: )

I bought a 3G Pay&Go SIM from Orange and it works fine in my iPhone, the only problem is they don't have very good data pricing on Pay&Go compared to Monthly, and I am already on Pay&Go with 3 on my iPhone and happy with 3's data prices and 3G coverage. (Orange's 3G coverage is close but not quite as good as 3, but miles ahead of O2 or Vodafone)