View Full Version : Well , I needed a new toy ....

miffed
15th June 2009, 06:42 PM
So I have an HTC Magic on its way to me :)

Having had an iPhone since launch of the 2G , I have been itching for a new phone for some time now , I had hoped the launch of the new iPhone was going to scratch this itch for me , but in reality it has done the complete opposite & I think o2/Apple/whoever are taking the pee a little bit with the pricing here. and much as I love the iPhone , I need a new avenue to wander around in
As far as I can see , the magic is the only move I can make that doesn't constitute a huge step backwards in terms of what I have come to expect from a phone now - so it wasn't really a hard choice

Now , those that know me , will also realise how significant a step this is for me (The "V" word )
A chance of redemption perhaps ? - if they do get things right for me , I'll give credit where credit is due ! , and if they mess me around - you lot will be the first to hear about it !!! :D
Can't wait ! - this feeling of waiting for my new phone is one "I have really missed , I look forward to my new adventure :)

solo12002
15th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Miffed

" Well , I needed a new toy ...." Did you think of shoping in Anne summers before spending so much money, im sure there would of been something to fit (Ops suit) you better there.

Let us know how the mobile goes, I was looking at one myself, but I was also looking ay an Iphone on PAYG to, might pick up an older model now cheaper than the o2 price lol

miffed
15th June 2009, 07:02 PM
It's funny you should mention Ann Summers, because it really does feel like the fun has gone out of our relationship (me and the iPhone)
I tried getting 3.0 to spice things up , which it did for a while , but nothing has changed really.
Don't get me wrong , the iPhone is solid , reliable .....everything I could want in a phone , - but sometimes I wonder how it would be with something else ?
All my mates are coming home with different phones every few months and I feel I am missing out on playing the field - so we decided (me and the iPhone) the best thing would be for me to get a bit on the side .

.... In all seriousness , I used to have a reasonable bit of knowledge about all platforms - if a mate asked me about capabilities , or Pros & cons of various platforms , or even in the world of internet debate - I could hold my own with a good working knowledge of most platforms , but now I honestly don't have a clue about any recent device other than the iPhone , and TBH I feel a little stifled in that respect -
I have no doubt at all that I am probably going to PREFER the iPhone , and probably will deem it the superior device - but at least I get to have a little fun !

Hands0n
15th June 2009, 07:08 PM
So I have an HTC Magic on its way to me :)

Can't wait ! - this feeling of waiting for my new phone is one "I have really missed , I look forward to my new adventure :)

Good on yer fella :) I'm certain you'll be "interested" by the Google Android-based HTC Magic. It certainly impressed me.

I still don't think it is in the Apple iPhone class in terms of, well everything really. But hell! It is damn close, and closer by far than any of the opposition, and that includes the new Nokia N97 (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=8241) rip-off of HTC (I'm being unkind, they used HTC to help design it based on the HTC Touch HD - full comparison here (http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php/phone=421,cp=423)).

Looking forward to your first observations - I hope your tentative faith in Vodafone is restored in kind. :)

gorilla
16th June 2009, 08:23 AM
I think this is a consquence of Apple giving their iPhone users free upgrades to the latest firmware. One of the decent things they do. ;)
Let's be honest, if existing customers did not get the upgrade (at all) apart from the riots that would ensue, how many would upgrade to the 3G S and 3.0? Probably most people if the price was affordable. But with 3.0 being a free upgrade, and some having it already, the lure of the new hardware just isn't the same.

miffed
16th June 2009, 06:29 PM
Well here we go ......

I suppose it's not really Vodafones fault , but everything just seems to be such a bloody headache with them

I have failed their credit check on the sole grounds that I am not on the Electoral roll at my new house (moved in Sept last year )

They have said they'll happily progress the order as soon as I am on t'roll , but untill then my plans are somewhat scuppered !

Failed a credit check ? How very dare they ????

Hands0n
16th June 2009, 06:45 PM
Good grief! So how long does it take to get on the Electoral Roll these days?

miffed
16th June 2009, 07:40 PM
Not sure why I am not TBH , I don't remember actively registering at previous addresses , but I definately ended up on the electorall roll there !! I thought it all happened automatically through the council tax registration etc ? The wife normally does anything domestic that requires thought , so maybe she did the forms ? I don't know ?
Worth noting that I just checked experian (I have "Credit expert" following some problems with a series of debts that were mistraced to my wife a year or so ago ) - Turns out that they don't have our new address on file either ! so I have corrected this.

I just hope the failed check will not cause me any future problems , pretty annoyed if it does , because my record was flawless ! :mad:

Interestingly , my daughter got a T-mobile contract in my name with no fuss just before Xmas

Hands0n
16th June 2009, 07:46 PM
How very extraordinary! Yet again the Vodafone gods are not quite with you :D

Oh well, perhaps you will be able to console yourself with getting to know iPhone OS X 3.0 tomorrow while the powers that be put their Orwellian records on you in order (if you've seen Brazil you'll know what I mean).

3GScottishUser
17th June 2009, 01:30 PM
Will you be getting a 3 for free SIM for your new HTC?

Ben
17th June 2009, 01:54 PM
You're not automatically enrolled via council tax. You can complete the required form here: https://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_to_vote/postal_vote_application/registration_application.aspx

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 09:22 PM
So what is it to be sir? An iPhone 3G S, oooh suits you sir, or an HTC Magic, oooh!

miffed
18th June 2009, 06:52 AM
After seeing the Video on the 3GS review , I am coming around to the 3GS !

We'll see ! The HTC Magic / Vodafone are on hold till my registration on the ER is done anyway.