View Full Version : Countdown to iPhone software 3.0

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 01:34 AM
The wait is agonising, but Santa's nearly here :)

At 01:30am on Wednesday 17th June, a final check before going for some zeds reveals that 3.0 software is not available on iTunes yet.

Macrumors is reporting various stages of iTunes Store getting ready to sell the 3.0 update to iPod Touch users. Pages appear, and then disappear.

Meanwhile, over on MobileMe I have seen the Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe page has been set up (see attached screenshot)

The 3.0 software is supposed to be made available to the iPhone community ahead of the iPhone 3G S that is due to be available from 18th June onwards.

I do recall that when previous releases came out that they were available in the UK's early morning, somewhere around 7am.

Not too long to wait then :cool:

chagle
17th June 2009, 07:12 AM
Mmmm... it's 7:55am, hopped out of bed - put the iMac on, fired iTunes... Sulk.. no 3.0 update!

Me no like waiting! :mad:

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 07:23 AM
Agonising :) 07:24 and still the same, 2.2.1 is the latest .... no it darned well isn't :D Gimme! I want it now ... :D

On the good news front - my Iomega MiniMax 500GB HDD has gone titsup, warranty runs until April 5 2011, so its off to the Apple store to get it replaced ...

Memo to self, leave credit/debit cards at home!!

chagle
17th June 2009, 07:26 AM
Memo to self, leave credit/debit cards at home!!

Whenever visiting the Apple Store - It's the best policy! Been there and err, done it! :-)

chagle
17th June 2009, 07:40 AM
I think I have worn my mouse button out.. I keep going into iTunes and clicking 'Check for update' - lol.

a_ukboy
17th June 2009, 07:53 AM
O2 staff have told me it gets released 6pm our time..

chagle
17th June 2009, 08:03 AM
I've seen that too around various forums! O'well - I might as well go to work then!

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 08:21 AM
Hmm, I think I'll have a quiet sulk too :( Tonight I shall mostly be trying to revive a Windows (Vista ) machine that has decided to go play the damn fool on a friend of mine. So it looks like iPhone software 3.0 will be my midnight plaything tonight ... Good thing I've a few days off work, no need to get up ... except for abortive attempts at collecting new firmwares :D

Ben
17th June 2009, 09:13 AM
I can't wait to hear from you all how well the upgrade has gone, or otherwise, before I get stuck in ;)

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 09:19 AM
Geezer, if its the official 3.0 then its going in today if I can get my hands on it :D I'm totally beyond playing the waiting game ;)

miffed
17th June 2009, 09:20 AM
Well rumour has it that the GM I have been using until now is the same as todays release , I'll probably update anyway just to see though
Generally , I have found things like Safari to be quicker , but sometimes opening a simple app like messaging , an individual contact etc can take seemingly longer , nothing hideous , just a little lag , nothing as frustration as the annoying contact lag on 2.1
Someting else I have noticed is a flickering in the dock for the first few seconds of going to the homescreen.
MMS is lovely , OK so it was overdue , but now its done it is very nice IMO
Although I can't for the life of me understand why it can only be done over 3G?

a_ukboy
17th June 2009, 10:49 AM
Well rumour has it that the GM I have been using until now is the same as todays release , I'll probably update anyway just to see though
Generally , I have found things like Safari to be quicker , but sometimes opening a simple app like messaging , an individual contact etc can take seemingly longer , nothing hideous , just a little lag , nothing as frustration as the annoying contact lag on 2.1
Someting else I have noticed is a flickering in the dock for the first few seconds of going to the homescreen.
MMS is lovely , OK so it was overdue , but now its done it is very nice IMO
Although I can't for the life of me understand why it can only be done over 3G?

Ok, I like you are on the 3.0 GM version, so how do we change when the official release comes out? Surely iTunes will tell us we already have the latest version? I'm also loving mms too but today I recieved a video mms which I can view fine and forward but can't find a way of saving it? Unlike with pictures recieved via mms

gorilla
17th June 2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, I like you are on the 3.0 GM version, so how do we change when the official release comes out?

I'll be downloading 3.0 directly from Apple and then do a manual restore in itunes and select the file I downloaded.

Ben
17th June 2009, 11:08 AM
The Reg has it that it wont be out until tomo now :( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/17/iphone_3/

miffed
17th June 2009, 11:36 AM
I'll be downloading 3.0 directly from Apple and then do a manual restore in itunes and select the file I downloaded.

Yes , this was my plan too !

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 11:40 AM
Well if you chaps find the link ... do share :D

MrBriz
17th June 2009, 12:56 PM
I too would like the direct download link when it comes out as I currently still have beta 5 installed (never got round to downloading the 3.0 GM Seed from the Apple Dev. site)

I just wish I could afford the 3Gs.... stupid 18 month contracts!

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 01:19 PM
I just left the Apple store at Bluewater. They told me the 3.0 software was available from 1pm today. Damn! I'm at least 2 hours chores away from my computer :(

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 02:37 PM
Oh well, we can ignore that rumour then .... I rushed back only to find ... nothing, no difference So much for "out of the horse's mouth" then :D

a_ukboy
17th June 2009, 02:38 PM
I just left the Apple store at Bluewater. They told me the 3.0 software was available from 1pm today. Damn! I'm at least 2 hours chores away from my computer :(

Really? can anyone confirm this? and provide a direct link to the upgrade so all us 3.0GM can get the official release?

Thanks

a_ukboy
17th June 2009, 02:39 PM
Oh well, we can ignore that rumour then .... I rushed back only to find ... nothing, no difference So much for "out of the horse's mouth" then :D

LOL... I posted as you where posting!!

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 03:01 PM
OMG :eek:

There is so much confusion and misinformation flying around - I wonder if Apple have done this on purpose to drum up the 3G S?

From The Telegraph an hour ago (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/apple/5559176/Apple-iPhone-3.0-software-due-for-launch-tonight.html)
Apple iPhone 3.0 software due for launch tonight

Apple latest software update for all iPhone and iPod touch devices will be available later this evening.

It is estimated that the new Apple iPhone software will go live for download between 5pm and 7.30pm tonight. Super-sleuths have guessed the timing of the release based on reports from Apple in India and Singapore about their software launch times, and then converted the time difference to give UK iPhone and iPod touch owners a better indication of when they can expect to download iPhone 3.0.

And yet more rumour, speculation, basically no one knows ....

Apple already prepared the download pages for the new iPhone Software Update, but as of writing this story the downloads are not available yet.

Update:
Looks like the iPhone 3.0 OS will be released not in the morning as some overseas Apple pages (e.g. Singapore) say that the iPhone 3.0 OS will be released June 18th (Via Engadget).

Update: (didn't see that coming :) )
User gjking2001 posted below that Apple will release the new iPhone Software Update at noon PST.

Source: http://www.i4u.com/article25418.html

And ...

You can refresh all you want but that won't make the 3.0 update for your iPhone appear any faster. In fact, you might want to give your trigger finger a rest for a few hours -- Engadget bud, Richard Lai, noted in a tweet that Apple's Singapore site says that the iPhone OS 3.0 update will release on the 18th while Apple India says the 17th, the date announced by Apple -- the difference presumably accounting for the 2.5-hour timezone offset between the two countries. That would peg an OS 3.0 release anytime between 1700 and 1930 in London or between noon and 2:30pm in New York. But don't let a little knowledge ruin your obsessive behavior, where's the fun in that?

Update: The theory is supported by reports that carrier 3 in Hong Kong sent a network-wide SMS notifying iPhone owners that OS 3.0 will be available on June 18th, 01:00 local time. That's 1pm on the 17th in New York, 6pm in London, and 1900 in central Europe.

Source: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/06/17/stop-hitting-f5-iphone-os-3-0-release-still-hours-away/

** Although, if this information is sourced from 3, no matter what country, I am likely to take it with a whole sackful of salt!

And so it goes on ....

My suggestion? Keep clicking that button and post on here as soon as you see it f'real :D

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 03:08 PM
LOL... I posted as you where posting!!

LOL :) I'm tempted to give this up and go make myself a nice cup of tea and relax before my PC job ..... Now where did I put that Linux LiveCD? :D

blush
17th June 2009, 06:19 PM
Now available people.....:):)

miffed
17th June 2009, 06:24 PM
Just downloading now , I just hit "restore" and it seems to be playing ball !

...Thought I was going to have to do a manual install in DFU mode.

chagle
17th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Downloading now - At last! LOL.

miffed
17th June 2009, 06:53 PM
If you have a lot of stuff on your phone , then be prepared for the first encrypted back up to take a while !

gorilla
17th June 2009, 06:59 PM
I hit restore as well, downloading now. It shouldn't take that long to get your phone up and running, although if you have a load of music to go on, then it will :)

chagle
17th June 2009, 07:02 PM
Good stuff. :-) Anyone used the new features yet?

blush
17th June 2009, 07:41 PM
I had problems at first getting wifi to connect automatically, had to do a "forget network" and select again. I'm using a simplicity sim and set the mms settings as it says on the o2 website and can receive ok but not send.:(

All the apps on page two of the home screen had moved to page three with just one app on 2nd page.:(

Safari seems pretty rapid and I have just been tinkering with texts using the large keyboard. Search is rather cool.:)

Now can someone remind me why I have been getting excited about this update!:confused:

Hands0n
17th June 2009, 08:39 PM
The iPhone "" cannot be update at htis time because the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable.

Please try again later

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgh! I'm cursed :(

Edit #1 - Okay, we're back on track, after 20 prods of the Update button and subsequent rejections the "activation server" answered and iTunes is now "Updating iPhone software". A little persistence paid off - I suppose fair enough that they'll be 'a bit busy' today :D I can see this is a two-stage update, the Baseband and the iPhone OS itself. Woo! Happy times :)

Edit #2 - Update done, taking precisely 8 minutes from pressing the Update button [successfully] to the iPhone re-appearing in iTunes post-update (8:45pm - 8:53pm).

MrBriz
17th June 2009, 10:40 PM
Currently syncing iPhone after 3.0 beta 5 to 3.0 release software. Update and activation went well, just waiting for all my apps to copy now.

I had to put the phone into DFU mode, but after that it found the download fine.