View Full Version : To iPhone 3GS or not to iPhone 3GS, that is the ??

a_ukboy
19th June 2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, i originally wasn't bothered about the new iPhone 3GS having got the iPhone 16GB in black, but today i looked on ebay and noticed that the 16GB black that i have is selling for £400+ when supplied with the o2 pay and go sim with 12 months free internet.. So my iphone is in mint condition, if i purchase the iphone 3GS 32GB on pay and go, £538 and sell my exisiting iphone with new pay and go sim for £400+ that leaves me about £100 out of pocket and getting slightly better phone with an extra 16GB, no extra contract etc, free to upgrade when the next iphone comes along :D

Hmmmmmmmm, spoke to o2 SC and told them this cunning plan, they were great about it, siad to me when you buy your pay and go iphone tell them its for someone else and they won't register the sim to me making it easier to sell, and said go for it, good luck!!!

The only snag i can come accross is INSURANCE... I cant add the pay and go iphone to my contract, nor can i purchase the insurance at time of purchase because terms and conditions state the if the sim (pay and go) are not in the phone at that time then insurance is invalid...

o2 don't know how to get round this one, i can only think of purchasing third party insurance..

chaslam
19th June 2009, 11:50 AM
Are you sure you cant get cover with your bank? Thats what i do. I have a Lloyds account, pay something like £7 a month and get AA cover and phone insurance. Well worth it in my opinion.

Hands0n
19th June 2009, 11:53 AM
All I would say about mobile phone insurance is "be careful" - it is a veritable minefield, and Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) applies. There is some good and plenty of complete crap.

I am loathe to actually suggest or recommend any one in particular as I have no direct personal experience. A lot of these are brokers who are selling their own packages based upon insurance "buckets" purchased from underwriters. It is these packages Ts&Cs that need to be read very carefully to ensure you understand what you are getting. The get-out clauses are very heavily weighted against the buyer.

Edit: The Bank insurance referred to by Chaslam (above) is well worth looking into. My eldest lad is with Lloyds Bank and had to make a claim for an N95 at the tail end of last year. It wasn't without a little bit of fuss, not quite as quibble-free it used to be with the mobile network operators, but he got there in the end.

NB: Check carefully also that they will replace "like for like" ... not all do!

chaslam
19th June 2009, 12:22 PM
Yes hands0n is right. Working with insurances all day I can tell you that some people win, and some people loose. Alot of the time, if they do it on Like for like, and you have something unique about the handset, then that could work in your favor. For instance, if they replace on the relevant spec. Ive seen it alot of time where people have paid alot of money for insurances and then it breaks 2 years down the line, but they spec they brought are now obsolete, so they only get £300 to by the similar spec, rather then the £600 they spent 2 years ago.

Having said this, it can also work in your favor. If you get something with a distinguishing feature, such as screen size, you can get your moneys worth. We have people who come in who have brought a 19" laptop for £500 3 years ago, and have ben given a voucher for £300 to replace, but as soon as they say to us "I want a 19" screen" we have to honor that, as thats the spec they brought in the first place, whether its a £10 difference or a £1000 difference for the next machine with a 19" screen, it must be honored.

I believe this is the way that most insurance companies work with things like this, so for instance if you have an N97 with 32GB memory, you can say to them I want a replacement with the same memory, as thats why I brought the device, and, if they do it specs wise, they have to do it for you.

a_ukboy
19th June 2009, 12:33 PM
Well i got it, 32GB white, looks lush.... So now have a 16GB black mint condition with o2 pay and go sim with £10 credit and 12 months unlimited internet, hopefully get about £400 for it..

Next thing to do is contact o2 regarding insurance!!!

Hands0n
19th June 2009, 12:51 PM
Well i got it, 32GB white, looks lush....

So what was it like in the O2 store? Did you ask about how they were selling today? I'm guessing that you did not have to stand in queues to get the new handset :D

a_ukboy
19th June 2009, 01:14 PM
Well i went to the o2 store in Hackney East London and about 2 people in the shop, no pay and go, sorry i mean no white 32GB.. The manager there was great, very chatty and said sales where ok, had a queue when the opened, plenty of contract stock ehtc..
Purchased mine from the o2 store in Angel Islington, different story there, much busier and staff obviously less chatty, had to queue to get into the store, the manager had the door locked but once inside i told them im just after pay and go and was fast tracked to the front, whole process took approx 30 mins, don'y know about stock levels though but there's more interested then i thought there would be...

Just restoring my new iphone as i speak, 40 mins seems a bit long though, next thing to do is get the old one on ebay before everyone else does!

gorilla
19th June 2009, 01:46 PM
I bought the 16GB PAYG from the O2 store. On impulse I bought the white version. Seemed to have plenty in stock. There were another couple of people buying the 3G S. I'm happy with my purchase. I know it's expensive, but like a_ukboy when taken with other factors the outlay is not significant. The bonus for me, is that I'm effectively ending my contract with O2. Mine's charging at the minute so not had a proper play, but it is significantly faster than the 3G, even just swiping your finger to chance the apps page.

chagle
19th June 2009, 02:15 PM
I too have been down the O2 store and bought a nice little (expensive) treat for myself! Nice 3G [s] in Black!

My O2 store opened about 8am this morning! Wasn't a queue as such but by the time I left - There were plenty of people wanting this new toy!

Sync'ing at the moment! :-)

a_ukboy
19th June 2009, 02:53 PM
The o2 website has been updated regarding insurance!!

Option 2 - purchase the iPhone 3G S on Pay & Go.
You can give your existing iPhone 3G to someone you know.

Pay Monthly customers can place existing iPhone 3G sim card into the iPhone 3G S and receive all the latest functionality. Customers must continue to pay for their existing Pay Monthly tariff.

Pay Monthly customers with O2 Insure can move their new Pay & Go iPhone 3G S onto their existing O2 Insure policy. Just give Customer Services a call within the first 3 days of purchase to let them know..

Just on the phone to them now..

I want to completely wipe everything off my original iphone, i have done a Erase all content and settings which is under settings and general on the iphone, takes about an hour or so, i basically want to make sure my account has gone from Apps store and itunes, its asking now to connect to activate.

a_ukboy
19th June 2009, 03:15 PM
Ok, called them and they say "It can't be done" told them to check their website and was told they will and will call me back before 6pm, the woman was quite rude...

Think i will try again!

Hands0n
19th June 2009, 03:24 PM
... the woman was quite rude...

Well what on earth did you expect? Phoning her up and trying to tell her that she was wrong and you were right. And then having the sheer audacity to quote a web page published by her own employer. I can fully understand why she thinks that is sufficient reason to berate you for your sheer cheek ;) Why, you probably even delayed her from her tea break, or interrupted her crossword! Damned customers, they really mess up a person's day! :rolleyes:

Did you get her name - I'd be more than tempted to put in an official written complaint on their "Contact Me" web form.

As with most CS operations, you tactic is bang on, keep calling back until you find someone with more than 1/4 a brain-cell in their cranium.

Ben
19th June 2009, 04:30 PM
Everyone's getting the damn 3GS! I'm going out of my freakin' mind!

Hands0n
19th June 2009, 04:32 PM
Everyone's getting the damn 3GS! I'm going out of my freakin' mind!

Bluewater is open until 9pm :D

:p

a_ukboy
19th June 2009, 04:52 PM
LOL... I decided to call o2 again ref the insurance, i did leave it a little while and i got the same woman, she remembered and quoted that she told me she would call me back before 6pm, She sounded even more pissed off...

LOL... How unlucky is that?

Ben
19th June 2009, 05:30 PM
LOL... I decided to call o2 again ref the insurance, i did leave it a little while and i got the same woman, she remembered and quoted that she told me she would call me back before 6pm, She sounded even more pissed off...

LOL... How unlucky is that?
Lmao, I love it. Maybe it's just her there by her lonesome? Recession cutbacks?

I'm sure she's a doll really ;)

Hands0n
19th June 2009, 05:58 PM
My money says she'll call back at 17:59:58 :D