View Full Version : UK - Tethering with O2

Hands0n
19th June 2009, 01:09 PM
Culled from the O2 FAQ (http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/upgradefaq.html) for iPhone 3G S Upgrade ...

Q. Why is it not possible to use internet tethering under the existing unlimited data option?

Our contract iPhone tariffs come with unlimited web browsing and Wi-Fi as standard designed for surfing the internet on the iPhone itself.

Internet Tethering opens up a range of new ways for using the iPhone, effectively turning it into a mobile broadband dongle. We know that laptops use, on average, significantly more data than on the iPhone and we have priced our internet tethering Bolt Ons in line with the pricing of our mobile broadband services but offer our customers a 30-day rolling Bolt On for the most amount of flexibility.

This is interesting, and no doubt useful for those who want to be able to tether their iPhones instead of acquiring a PAYG or Contract USB dongle. Being only a 30-day rolling deal (Bolt On) at least gives the option to suspend the facility for periods such as scheduled holidays and suchlike.

I cant see O2 budging on this issue - laptop usage is much higher than any mobile handset could command. Microsoft Windows Updates alone would probably hose down most of any monthly allowance. Not that Apple is immune from a bit of finger pointing in this respect. And my observations in respect to Linux would put them in the same camp.

So, after the OS has been busy keeping itself up, stable, safe (anti-Virus, anti-Trojan, anti-Malware etc...) you then get a chance to use the allocated data for your own purposes :)

gorilla
19th June 2009, 01:53 PM
What I'd be using it for is just normal browsing, not downloading films or streaming.
I don't see how this differs to my normal iPhone habits. At the minute I'm using over 500MB every month, so enabling tethering every now and again isn't going to impact my normal usage.

I'd bet that the majority of iPhone users never use that much data i.e. between 50 -100mb per month and so O2 can "offer" unlimited data without it impacting their network. Tethering on the other hand will enable users to do more and therefore download more, and hence impact O2's network.