View Full Version : What does everyone think of their iPhone 3GS'?

@NickyColman
20th June 2009, 11:56 AM
Well then? What does everyone think of their new shiny iPhone 3GS's?

Me? Im in love all over again! The 3.0 features along with the uber-fast operating speed of 3GS is just a match made in heaven!!

I cant wait to see what Apple do next with iPhone OS!!

3g-g
20th June 2009, 12:05 PM
jealous! :eek:

@NickyColman
20th June 2009, 12:06 PM
HA HA! You wanna be! 3GS really is worth the money in my eyes! Im sometimes staggered by how fast it is. I think you learn to appreciate speed (not the drug) by playing with 3GS

Ben
20th June 2009, 12:18 PM
See, I've just blogged about this, it's the speed that makes me want it. Like when a faster computer comes out - new Macs often look exactly the same, and run the same software, as the old ones, but they're faaaaster :D

If I go into town I'll buy one today, hopefully.

@NickyColman
20th June 2009, 12:23 PM
@Ben!

HA! Thats a good comparison. Have you ever disliked a particular program, but when you put it on a new computer it some how comes into its own?
Its like that! The OS doesnt seem to struggle and you seem to get to doing things better.

Plus - I'm loving the % battery meter only available on 3GS! :D

3g-g
20th June 2009, 12:31 PM
no no no... stop this talk... this kind of talk ended up with me buying a Mac in the first place, and subsequently my iPhone! I'm at least 9 months away from upgrade time...

@NickyColman
20th June 2009, 12:32 PM
Mwahhaaaaaaa!!! *cackles with iPhone held in hand with the specter of Steve Jobs behind me*

chagle
20th June 2009, 05:50 PM
Well then? What does everyone think of their new shiny iPhone 3GS's?

Very pleased actually. It all sorted and everything is tweaked to how I want it. I won't be JBing this one! Plain vanilla is good with v3.0 software!

Only found one of my Apps doesn't work with 3.0 at the moment. Generally, the phone is faster and the cut, copy and paste - What on earth did we do when it wasn't there! It's awesome!
:p

Ben
20th June 2009, 06:00 PM
Mine's just syncing now :D Hopefully it'll all be restored back to be exactly like my old one and I wont have to faff about getting it how I want. We'll see!

If it's not so fast that it rips my face off I'm going to be sorely disappointed :P

chagle
20th June 2009, 06:03 PM
Well it's faster - Not sure if it's that fast Ben! LOL

Enjoy. :D

Hands0n
20th June 2009, 06:09 PM
Hopefully it'll all be restored back to be exactly like my old one and I wont have to faff about getting it how I want.

The update does something odd to the front page and page 2 - all the apps get shifted along a couple of pages or so... I had to re-arrange quite a few, but it was nice to see a much cleaner front page - I had let it get a little, how shall we say, untidy :D

Ben
20th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, did that when I did the update on my 3G.

The restore backup seems to have lost my Settings icon, though, lol, so I can't access settings at all :/ Think I'll just do a reset and normal sync, probably didn't need to restore the backup anyway.

Ben
20th June 2009, 09:43 PM
Ok, I've started over again because I ended up with two copies of all of my contacts and calendars - one sync'd from the Mac and one from MobileMe, and no matter what I did it wouldn't delete the set from the Mac lol. I think it's because I didn't pick Merge when it asked me... was just trying to make sure MobileMe didn't get screwed. Anyway I erased and started over again, not syncing contacts from the Mac this time - will just do it all via MobileMe.

OTA FTW!

The thing is quick. Really really responsive :D Should take my stress levels down a notch or two when all's going to hell at work! Camera looks good too, touching the screen to focus on that area is really nice.

chagle
20th June 2009, 10:11 PM
MobileMe is pretty impressive how quickly it syncs to the iPhone. Wouldn't be without it.

getti
20th June 2009, 10:52 PM
Surprised the new iPhone is not the iPhone 3GSS (Same S**t). The software can be upgraded on any original iPhone 3G, the phone looks the same and the only real differences are the CPU working faster which is good i agree and the 7.2mb/s HSDPA which O2 only dream of having and a slightly better camera. Hell we will be on LTE by the time O2 get their arse into gear and improve HSDPA.

I went into my local O2 store on launch and there were 2 iPhones on display and then it hit me.... are they new or old ones... by looking i cant tell?.

Apple who are supposed to be leaders in product design why the hell could they not have made some part of it different, even just the silver around the phone make it black or just SOMETHING to make it stand out.

The one thing that did stand out is the stupid pricing.... £275 for the phone on a 18 month contract at £35 a month?, come on O2 what the hell are you thinking about.

You already have a forum full of angry customers not being able to upgrade early to the new one when they still have time left on the original 3G iPhone, yet you are pushing customers onto a 24 month contact at £45 a month just to get a 16gb one for free knowing that in about a year when ANOTHER new iPhone comes out you will have the same situation again.

Tethering at £15 is stupid as it's iPhone customers only as is the ability to do conference calling. You are penalizing customers for not having an iPhone yet when they do want these features and give in to getting an iPhone you charge stupid amounts.

I honestly had big hopes for the new iPhone.... i even changed my way of thinking to consider getting one when it came out but then Apple announced it and I just laughed.

Apple will sell these because they have Apple fans around the world who will buy anything with an Apple on it even if its pretty much the same as they already have but twice the price. I have not worked out yet the reason behind this, It might just be because its new and you have to have one as your mate does even though there are better phones out there.

Ben
20th June 2009, 10:54 PM
MobileMe is pretty impressive how quickly it syncs to the iPhone. Wouldn't be without it.
It's incredible isn't it! I added my MobileMe account and then clicked Contacts... within a couple of seconds the screen filled up with all of my contacts as it grabbed them OTA. I wouldn't be without it either, it has matured into a service that's well worth the subscription - at least I know it's sustainable and a worthy repository for all of my data.

That's the one thing you can guarantee with Apple, lol, if it's not financially viable they wont do it!

getti
20th June 2009, 10:58 PM
It's incredible isn't it! I added my MobileMe account and then clicked Contacts... within a couple of seconds the screen filled up with all of my contacts as it grabbed them OTA.

I did the same with my 6120, N96 and N97 and that was free :p:D

Hands0n
21st June 2009, 01:32 AM
I did the same ....

I very much doubt that.:p No manufacturer, to date, has come up with the same ease of set-up and use.

That these things can be done I would not dispute. But usually it is a complex drawn-out affair which is why they are not in mainstream use.

There is nothing Nokia that I have seen that is quite plug 'n play nor single point comprehensive as the iPhone/Mobile Me combination.

But I'm ready to be convinced otherwise :cool:

NB: The closest I have seen so far is the Google Android G1 and HTC Magic that integrate with Google's Mail and Contacts seamlessly. That is two out of the five that Mobile Me provides.

Ben
21st June 2009, 02:12 AM
I guess if he already had all of his stuff up in the Ovi cloud?

I don't think twice about all mine being in MobileMe because I never had to put it there, it made its own way there from my Macs.

miffed
21st June 2009, 09:43 AM
It's incredible isn't it! I added my MobileMe account and then clicked Contacts... within a couple of seconds the screen filled up with all of my contacts as it grabbed them OTA. I wouldn't be without it either, it has matured into a service that's well worth the subscription - at least I know it's sustainable and a worthy repository for all of my data.

That's the one thing you can guarantee with Apple, lol, if it's not financially viable they wont do it!

To be fair , I have just had exactly this warmth of experience with the HTC Magic - totally caught me by surprise , asked for my google details during set up - I have never seen the phone running without all my info on it !!
This is the way forward , I have no doubt whatsoever . And much as the likes of Nokia etc would love to have us believe that this was "the way things were going anyway" - ....Utter codshit ! - MS exchange has been around for yonks , Push mail was "pushed" a little on Nokia's etc - But only after installing 3rd party apps and saying goodbye to any kind of battery life

Again , this is a prime exampe of where the likes of Nokia couldn't see the wood for the trees , Until the likes of Apple came along and done it , then they sort of mumble ..... " Oh yes , well , we can do that too , its easy ..... " :D

Hands0n
21st June 2009, 09:44 AM
Thats what I mean really, I've yet to see something a completely seamless as MobileMe.

Of course, it would be nice if there were alternatives that were head and shoulders equivalent. But there do not appear to be any, and those that portend to be quite often involve a lot of setting up and maintenance. "Fire and forget" appears to be a suitable phrase to use for MobileMe - once joined to the sharing of data is a given.

gorilla
21st June 2009, 01:25 PM
I'm liking the 3G S. Safari is much better now, everything is just speeded up. Ok, so it's not any differnt looking, but is that a bad thing? I like the design, the size of the handset, so I don't need a change in design.

As for setup, well I went out after work on Friday (even with the 3G S waiting for me at home, now that's discipline!) and when I awoke on Saturday my new phone was on the bedside table, fully synced et al. No idea when or how I did that, but I suppose that's how easy it is to setup.

Ben
21st June 2009, 02:18 PM
It would've been nice for there to have been a redesigned casing but, as far as I'm aware, as much has changed inside the 3GS as did between 2G and 3G. I mean, we've got a new processor and double the RAM for starters and when we shop for a PC that's more than enough! One thing people have to appreciate with the iPhone/iPod Touch is that it's a platform. It's all about the software, and we already knew what that was going to be like - so I don't get why anyone could be disappointed with the 3GS... I mean, what could they have been expecting?

I'm glad I plumped for the new hardware. Not sure how I'm going to fill 32GB... but yeah :D Still not 100% sure what to do with the old one either...

miffed
21st June 2009, 02:41 PM
Still not 100% sure what to do with the old one either...

Lucky sod ! My iPhones all have waiting lists - The wife now has the 2G and she expects the 3G when I get a 3GS , & my daughter will then want the 2G !

This is quite good though , as it means everyone has a vested interest and I'll receive less opposition - Having said that , to buy one while the HTC is still pristine would probably lead to a divorce :rolleyes:

Hands0n
21st June 2009, 02:59 PM
Hmmm, does Find my iPhone work with the 2G? Just thinking that if it does ... daughter may not be entirely impressed but ... it'd be churlish not to set it up :D

I'm not sure if I'm just being a techno-hog in keeping the 2G and 3G if I ever [doubtfully] buy the 3G S at current pricing.

My strategy at the moment is to wait out the 3G S pricing to see if O2 feel the need to widen the [currently limited] financial attraction.

Hands0n
5th July 2009, 01:51 PM
Meh! The wait is over :D I nipped into Bluewater Apple store today and picked me up a 32GB 3GS.

I went in to have a hands0n play with one - the performance is significantly improved over the 3G, and the video and stills image quality is so much better, as is the low-light performance. It had to be done :D

It is a lot of money for a handset, to be sure. Especially for one that is locked to O2. Completely un-subsidised I wonder what the criteria is for the SP lock to be in place.

But still, the 3GS is only a point update on the 3G, but it is quite a cool one at that.

miffed
5th July 2009, 02:57 PM
Well done mate - I have all but given in too

Was it blick or White ? I want a 32GB White, but note that the only ones o2 seem to have are 32GB's in black.
The Apple shop are doing there "Within 7 days" BS , which one 1st gen iPod touch and a MBP as taught me means "We'll take your money and you'll get it when we can be bothered " ... So I am not really tempted to take them up on it.

miffed
5th July 2009, 02:59 PM
It is a lot of money for a handset, to be sure. Especially for one that is locked to O2. Completely un-subsidised I wonder what the criteria is for the SP lock to be in place.

Look , they are virtually giving the SIM free version away at Expansys :rolleyes:

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183742

Hands0n
5th July 2009, 03:24 PM
I went for the black one. The White is not quite to my taste :) Although in the flesh it does look very Apple.

It was that crazy price I got for my 2G that spurred me on to jump in today. Effectively the 32GB has cost me £350 ;) Usually I either hand my phones down the line or they end up in my "stash" and depreciate to near nothing. So quite a result this time round :)

Its on its initial big charge right now. Tonight I'll swap it into the contract SIM and fit the PAYG into the 3G to use up the credit. Although that SIM is good for 12 months free O2 mobile data and WiFi access through it's partners. Nice :)

Heidi
21st August 2009, 09:33 PM
Ive just got my iPhone ( i know im a tad behind you guys ) and im just going to say i have a new best friend lol
it amazes me everyday, very fast when im browsing its impressive :D
Tho atm the battery life isnt lasting me a day yet but im sure it will when the novelty of me using it every second of the day wear off a little, i just cant seem to put it down.

Oh yeah and now i have a pink case my life is complete :p

3g-g
22nd August 2009, 12:44 AM
Ive just got my iPhone ( i know im a tad behind you guys ) and im just going to say i have a new best friend lol
it amazes me everyday, very fast when im browsing its impressive :D
Tho atm the battery life isnt lasting me a day yet but im sure it will when the novelty of me using it every second of the day wear off a little, i just cant seem to put it down.

Oh yeah and now i have a pink case my life is complete :p

Welcome to T3G Heidi, glad you're enjoying the iPhone experience, I have to say, that's the most girly case I've ever seen! They do say, pink to make the boys wink however!

Ben
22nd August 2009, 09:19 AM
They do say, pink to make the boys wink however!
LoL lame, G, lame! :p

Keep on hammering it, Heidi! =D Just bear in mind that the batteries used in these things prefer to be charged back up when they hit 40-or-so percent - running down to zero is ok every once in a while but might be bad for long term battery health.

That said, of course Apple will replace a 'defective' unit within the first year if the battery life goes naff.

I'm running mine to near-zero every day at the moment, too. I didn't think my usage could increase any more, but it has!

miffed
22nd August 2009, 09:37 AM
I simply couldn't imagine using another phone for day to day stuff now - The HTC Magic is almost as groundbreaking as the iPhone in terms of how much more intuitive it is than everything else , but when I pick even that up , I find a moment of brain freeze and frustration while I try to use it (and even merely unlock it ! )
Battery life is probably what most people would call bad , if you have come from a "normal" phone and expect a weeks use from a single charge, but for as long as I can remember I have chosen top end smart devices - and accepted that daily charging is pretty much the norm for this type of phone - not a huge deal IMO .

Heidi
22nd August 2009, 01:22 PM
lol Ha !!! im not sure about wanting to make Boys wink here tho :p
Yeah but my case does Rawk ! i didnt want an iPhone because of the only reason they didnt do it in pink (girlie thing you guys wouldnt even understand).... then i found the pink sparkle case :D

i just need to get into the routine of remembering to charge everynight and yeah its not going to be a big deal, just for the first week it didnt last me from 8am til 5pm lol
The apps are so cool to do as well its like you see one and then you have it :)
im trying not to fill it with loads of usless apps atm tho im picking carefully.
Fishtext and Beejive being the ones i hammer the most !!