View Full Version : Vodafone BB Dongle £17.99 inc P+P

3GScottishUser
21st June 2009, 12:44 PM
Just checked out some stuff on e-bay and todays offer is the Vodafone 3.6Mb/s Mobile BB Dongle for £17.99 inc P+P. The dongle comes with a £15 credit included which provides 1GB of data (unrestricted time limit).

Sounds like a good deal if you just need a dongle for the occassional surf.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Vodafone-PAYG-Mobile-Broadband-USB-Modem-Dongle_W0QQitemZ250445788451QQcategoryZ45002QQcmdZ ViewItem

miffed
21st June 2009, 01:04 PM
£15 for 1GB ? :eek::eek::eek:

3GScottishUser
21st June 2009, 01:07 PM
£15 for 1GB ? :eek::eek::eek:

Yes but there is no time limit to use it.

Ive looked at my £5 a month 3 bills for my BB with them and I have barely used 500MB in almost 9 months!! So had I had the Vodafone PAYG dongle I would have saved £30 over the same period.

Not ideal for sure but for the light user by far the best offer on the market.

Ben
21st June 2009, 02:19 PM
Auction has ended. I'd have been tempted because I could do with another dongle, lol. Though one of my data contracts has to be up for renewal by now, I'm sure I could just ring Business Teams and get them to send me something gratis.

Hands0n
21st June 2009, 02:40 PM
Vodafone has always been the least generous with their Mobile Broadband packages, including PAYG http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband-plans/top-up-and-go-1gb so none of this £15/1GB malarkey comes as a surprise.

What I will suggest, in some meagre defence, is that Vodafone's network is generally more widespread, reliable and available than many of it competitors. But that is by no means a given.

NB: I notice that Littlewoods Direct O2 (unlocked, any SIM) dongle is now £20, up from £15 and its previous £10. Either their confidence is up or they're selling more! Now only a £9 saving on the street price, and barely even that when the delivery charge is factored in.

chaslam
21st June 2009, 06:22 PM
I think people are missing the point about the vodafone mbb PAYG completely.

The majority of people who are using PAYG BB simply want it for the odd use, checking the odd email etc etc.

Now when you compare to 3, although you get triple the usage then with vodafone, but you have to use within the month. With vodafone, you get 1GB, but can use it anytime you like!

For example, if you check your emails say once a day on your mobile BB connection, which are very small in size, you will be looking at:

3 = £10 a month
tmobile = £2 a day or £20 a month
vodafone = £15 for as long as you need it for.

It just makes sense, unlike all the other networks with their confusing billing systems and cut off dates etc. Just top up and go, just like a phone, simples :).

Hands0n
21st June 2009, 07:01 PM
Well, that is true of course. Vodafone is, as far as I know, the only one not to time-expire the paid-for allowance. And that is quite suitable for low-scale use. My own disdain for that particular product rests upon my own usage profile.

I could not say that 1GB would last me a month, which makes the £15/1GB very expensive compared to the £15/3GB that I have with Vodafone on a contract arrangement. The chances are that I would need to replenish the top up before the month was out.

I suppose the criteria is; if you are going to use more than 1GB per month then you'd be better off with any of the other providers!

miffed
21st June 2009, 07:19 PM
No , you guys make a good point - one I overlooked

Vodafone probably are the network to beat for those mobile broadband customers that don't really need mobile broadband. My mum doesn't even have a computer , so this would be ideal for her ;)

Hands0n
21st June 2009, 07:28 PM
Now now, play nice :D

After all, you have returned to the darker side, and thats Magic ;)

chaslam
21st June 2009, 07:30 PM
The majority of people buying PAYG mobile BB will be looking to use it irregularly, maybe once a month or every few days or weeks. If you were going to use mobile BB on a regular basis, you would be much better off going with a contract, which means that vodafone stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of PAYG. I mean who wants their credit wiped after a month, its just crazy.

3GScottishUser
21st June 2009, 08:02 PM
I am a very limited mobile BB user, its for emergencies when our company network goes down or on the rare occassions when I need to get something i cant look up on my Omnia.

So for me Vodafone's £15 time unlimited 1GB is good value although I can see why it would not suit everyone.

miffed
21st June 2009, 08:25 PM
LOL , I was only playing ! (you know how I love Vodafone !)

Seriously , I can see the attraction, I suppose having the Dongle topped up ready to use at a moments notice without having to top up is pretty handy - ( Especially if you have Tiscali as your ISP as I am rapidly discovering - lots of downtime !)

solo12002
21st June 2009, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=3GScottishUser;33617]Yes but there is no time limit to use it.

Sorry there is look at the T & C you have to use your dougle once evey 180 days so its not so clear as not having no limit!

chaslam
21st June 2009, 09:17 PM
That doest mean its a limit. It just means that if you dont use the sim for 6 months they will assume its out of use, something which they normally do with PAGY sims anyway. Its not a limit. It just means that every 6 months you will have to plug it in, use it for 2 minutes, and then there you go, you got another 6 months.

solo12002
21st June 2009, 10:19 PM
lol

Its still a limit I am being forced to use something every 180 days despect the fact its unlimited!

Its as good as unlimited BB with a 1Gb limit or unlimited Texts with a cap of 3000.

miffed
22nd June 2009, 06:53 AM
In light of this , then perhaps Three's PAYG used the sneaky way would prove more useful ? Stick your £15 on , activate the £5 1GB handset bundle - giving you 1GB to use in a month , and then 2 additional "lots" of this bundle to use whenever you like ,

This would be better if Three BB wasn't a load of crap !:D