View Full Version : BB Streaming 75p/min on 3!!

3GScottishUser
30th May 2005, 10:08 AM
Yep.....3 have done it again.

Hutchison have seized the Big Brother media event to tarnish the reputation of 3G technology by setting a charge of 75p/min on their live streaming!!

What a load of nonsense, who would pay that to watch? £45 for 1 hour!!! £11.25 for 15 minutes..... bonkers!!!

Its not available on the Nokia 7600 either (and there are 1000's out there).

What a total waste of time. Embarrassing. It'd would have been better for them to have left BB alone or offered highlight clips rather than make a fool of themselves with this.

What do you think?

delinquentwoody
30th May 2005, 10:35 AM
What they don't make clear at all is whether or not those with 20 minutes of video minutes can use those up watching this!

I suspect not, as it costs more than a standard video call, but it does not make this clear anywhere.

I agree it is a complete rip off! Watch it on the telly I say

Hypnotic
30th May 2005, 12:35 PM
It does say if the 20 minutes can be used. You don't look around much do you. Everything with the white + in the blue square is included with the cideo add on.

Jon3G
30th May 2005, 12:43 PM
This is how 3UK make their money

What a rip off

Ben
30th May 2005, 02:04 PM
Wow... you can watch Big Brother completely free on Orange... due to the completely OTT 3 month free period. How can 3 charge 75ppm for something that's completely free on the big O?

3g-g
30th May 2005, 02:33 PM
...£45 for 1 hour!!! ...

That's more than a Sky subscription for a month!! And you get the other 800 odd channels as well as it live 24/7 on E4! In fact, now E4 is on Freeview, that £45 would get you a set top box which would allow you full BB coverage and all the other free to air digi channels with no more money to pay out!

Three, I take my hat off to you, it's one of the daftest moves you've made.

3GScottishUser
30th May 2005, 04:27 PM
How many BB fans will stick with 3 after their contracts expire?

Not many I suspect.

timothythetim
30th May 2005, 05:43 PM
I tried this just to see what it would be like
But i got a message saying "Unable to make video call. Not supported by other phone or network."
What's goin on? I've got a 6680

3GScottishUser
30th May 2005, 06:41 PM
Not surprising.....

Just check you have'nt been charged for the failed call.

delinquentwoody
30th May 2005, 10:08 PM
It does say if the 20 minutes can be used. You don't look around much do you. Everything with the white + in the blue square is included with the cideo add on.

Ermm no it doesn't say - there is no cross on this one, so I assumed it isn't included. But i tried it out for 2 minutes to see what it was, and it did actually come out of my inclusive video minutes!! So this must be another 3 cock up then!

Jon3G
31st May 2005, 09:50 AM
Not surprising which direction the poll has gone in

timothythetim
1st June 2005, 11:12 PM
I tried this just to see what it would be like
But i got a message saying "Unable to make video call. Not supported by other phone or network."
What's goin on? I've got a 6680
tired it again and now it works, first time i've tried live streaming like this. The quality was quite good - smooth picture but the sound wasn't great. Only watched for 37 seconds though, I don't see how anyone could be able to spend 75p a minute and watch it for more than a few seconds without worrying about the price.

Hands0n
2nd June 2005, 09:44 AM
Does this signal the end of 3's brand "cheapness"? Not so much another nail in the coffin but perhaps the coffin lid itself? Once the notion gets about that 3 is no longer cheap to use what exactly would their major selling point be? 60% churn would likely turn into "you aint seen nothing yet!".

Personally, I don't watch BB or any such reality proggys. Preferring instead to rub Ajax powder into my eyes for entertainment :) But I'd like to try out whatever chemicals 3's boys were on when they came up with this 75p/min scheme. At that price, I can't even see myself mustering up enough interest to even sample the facility in technology terms (and that'd be something of a first for me!).

Jon3G
2nd June 2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe they left it to the new person to think up because they were to busy securing the next big NEC deal

Lol

Ben
2nd June 2005, 02:02 PM
I have to say, I'm curious to see how the quality compares... I doubt it's 93.75x better than OTV!

Unfortunately I'd have to top up my Threepay especially, and that's just not going to happen :( I'll try it on someone elses 3phone! ;)

I don't think any of Three's actual 3G services have ever been cheap. This one really does take the biscuit though! I take it the service is being officially offered/promoted by Three on their 3G area?

Jon3G
2nd June 2005, 02:12 PM
I agree Ben

None of the Three services have been cheap, its reall the tariffs that are cheap

3GScottishUser
2nd June 2005, 07:28 PM
3 have removed their headline BB streaming from the 'Today on 3' page.... embarrassed maybe?

What a total disaster...... heads should roll at 3 UK for this pantomine!

Jon3G
3rd June 2005, 10:27 AM
I can hear them rolling now and maybe they will be on tower bridge this afternoon