View Full Version : Iphone 3GS Battery

a_ukboy
1st July 2009, 05:45 PM
Ok, i've had my 3GS since launch date, got the 32GB White and so far am very unimpressed with the battery, no where near what i was getting with my Black 3G 16GB, must admit its getting better but still struggling with a days usage, i am quite a heavy user but don't think i am using the new one any more then the old, the old use to still have half a battery left when i went to bed, new one usually only 5% or less left :eek:
Should i be letting the battery fully discharge before recharge, or should i plug in as soon as i can?? When i got the phone the first charge wasn't the overnight charge i'd usually give a phone before use as the phone was switched on etc and handed to me setup in store..
I have noticed a few threads on the o2 forum about people who have had the new phone exchanged cause of this but there's seems alot worse then mine, so far today my phone has 15% left, its been off charge since about 5am and says usage: 4hrs 53mins standby 12hrs 47 mins, usage has been a few texts, about 30 mins of calls, 15 mins of browsing, 5 emails and the rest is ipod with the headphones...

Is that good or am i being too fussy??

Still think the 3G was better?

gorilla
1st July 2009, 07:37 PM
I think after the initial charge or two, try and charge it as often as you can. It might be worth your while (if you don't already) having a spare usb cable at work just so you can top it up as necessary.

I leave mine on the charge all night, every night and at a push, I can get 2 days of moderate use if I'm away.

Ben
1st July 2009, 09:04 PM
Another vote for charging as often as you can. This type of battery seems happiest being used (i.e. drained and charged) frequently, and not too deeply (i.e. not all the way flat then full to the top).

Give it some time and wait for an OS update or two, and if things stay bad then go for a replacement.

My 3GS is still performing well. I'm at 52% at the moment after a full days use, though I've not done too much on it. Since last charge I've had 2h 8m usage, 11h 56m standby.

chagle
1st July 2009, 09:41 PM
I have to admit - My 3GS is always docked, therefore always charged fully. Even when driving it's always plugged in too - but the other day I thought I would test it and it lasted well, just under 50% - That's even with MobileMe active including 'find my phone', fetching IMAP email every hour plus general surfing, texting and not too many phone calls. Pretty impressed so far.

Hands0n
1st July 2009, 10:22 PM
Another vote from me for frequent "opportunity charging" whenever you can. It does no harm to Li-ion batteries, in fact it does them the power of good.

There is a lot of FUD about batteries and their technology. A superb reference is Battery University (http://www.batteryuniversity.com) that offers accurate and impartial information and advice.

I would suggest spending some time reading through the information on Li-ion that is the technology used in the iPhone 3G and 3GS.