View Full Version : TomTom mobile 5 with 6680

Astra12
31st May 2005, 09:29 AM
Hi

Has anyone tried TT5 with the 6680 as TomTom don't have it listed as compatible and the retailers I've contacted say it won't work. Surely the phone is almost identical to the 6630 which does work with TomTom mobile as long as you use a Dual voltage memory card.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Jon3G
31st May 2005, 09:48 AM
I would thought it would work. However beware I tested an app that was compatiable with the 6630 and it kept crashing and it also said when I installed it that the phone was not compatable

Ben
31st May 2005, 01:02 PM
The 6680's new screen could cause problems I guess. I don't know whether it would work either :( Hopefully someone else will try it soon...

Hypnotic
31st May 2005, 02:40 PM
Its nothing to do with the screen, its to do with the library phones the smart phones have.

Jon3G
31st May 2005, 03:25 PM
Its nothing to do with the screen, its to do with the library phones the smart phones have.

Could you expand on that

Ben
31st May 2005, 04:55 PM
I think he means library files.

I was suggesting that the increased colours on the screen would create incompatibilities with certain applications as the drivers/libraries will be different.

However, I'd expect a certain amount of legacy support from Symbian...

Contacting TomTom might be the best way to go... Perhaps if you go to a retail outlet that sells it then they'll let you try it to see if it works?

Astra12
31st May 2005, 05:21 PM
I already contacted TomTom and they just gave a stock reply, along the lines of 'We are considering adding more phones in the future'.

The problem is I don't want to turn down the chance of getting a free upgrade to a 6680, which,by all accounts is a great phone. However I also want to use my new phone as a Sat Nav device and so I'm just hoping it works.

The difficulty is that the retailers don't seem to have TT mobile 5 yet so no-one is in a position to try it. :(

Ben
2nd June 2005, 07:28 PM
Someone on another forum has mentioned that they have TomTom on their 6680, so I assume it's OK. They were having problems with their GPS receiver so I assume that's a separate issue.