View Full Version : UK Primary Mobile Network Poll

Ben
2nd July 2009, 05:21 PM
Vote for your current primary mobile network in the UK. If you have relationships with multiple operators, I'm just looking for your 'main' one.

If your primary network is an MVNO, vote for the physical network provider. I.e. Tesco = O2, ASDA = Vodafone, Virgin = T-Mobile.

Ben
2nd July 2009, 05:52 PM
O2 for me, because of the iPhone. There's no other reason I'd be with O2, but I'm happy with the tariff I'm on and am pretty happy with the service.

A good example of why handset exclusivity is so sought-after.

miffed
2nd July 2009, 06:04 PM
o2 for me too :)

For the same reasons as Ben , but also , I do think of o2 as like an Ex that you really liked ,and it isn't hard to get you to pop around for another go , so to speak (speaking in terms of my younger , single days, you understand ? I'm a happily married man now )
They always seem to be looking to give the customer extra - With the Genie SIMS. . (300 sms on payg for free !! - no one else had the balls to do anything like that) Free GPRS while the rest were charging £3-7 per MB
...Even now (I am using a PAYG SIM in the iPhone) I am getting the free texts , and for some bloody reason (don't ask me why !! ) I get the words "Free Call" come up when I phone the wife sometimes , Also , my inbox is full of other freebies they try to give me , rewards , treats , free minutes , free texts etc. - I don't think there is another Network in the UK that looks after the customer half as well as o2 do !

chagle
2nd July 2009, 06:21 PM
O2 for me - I wouldn't be with O2 if it wasn't for the iPhone though.

gorilla
2nd July 2009, 07:01 PM
So that's O2 then :D only because of the iPhone

We use Vodafone at work.

Hands0n
2nd July 2009, 07:35 PM
O2 for me also - again because of the iPhone, and for all the reasons cited above.

However, I also carry a Vodafone handset (HTC Magic) and do believe that had it been here before the iPhone the answer could very well have been different.

bsrjl1
2nd July 2009, 09:05 PM
3 (as it should be, not 'Three') as most of the family/friends are on it.

getti
2nd July 2009, 11:01 PM
My network of choice is Vodafone. Shocking as this time last year I had right issues with their customer services but we got through it and came out stronger :p:D.

Reasons i choose Vodafone:

Great coverage both 2G and 3G
Good price plans
12 month options for upgrades
Family (I have Family free on my deal)
Passport is a life saver when abroad
Great selection of handsets

They are also first out with new things like the Gateway Femtocell

When i had my sim only deal i was looking to upgrade onto a HTC Magic so went in store and asked what deal can i get.

I was told i can stay on my same plan im on but over a longer period. Was offered the phone free on 24month or £30 on 18month.

I asked about 12 month and was told £120 so I took them up on it. I get in my deal

600 Minutes
Unlimited Texts
Unlimited Internet
Passport
Vodafone Family
50 MMS

And I pay £27 a month over 12 months for that deal!.

I have tried O2 and don't like the way they prioritize iPhone customers over others. Call Merge is only on iPhone plans which I use quite a bit, and now Tethering is only on iPhone plans which I would use.

T-Mobile have some great phones and great deals but signal wise I just cannot be with them. So much so i have cancelled 2 of my 3 contract with them.... 1 was costing me £0 a month as it was a free staff plan but I still did not want it, and the other is a 3yr running UFIX 15 i get for £7.50 just to get phones that is ending on 8th July.

getti
6th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Well another day gone, another contract ended.

My O2 contract is ending tomorrow as my number is porting over onto a T-Mobile Modem i still have about 6 months left with,

Wednesday will see my T-Mobile UFIX (with F&F Discount so £7.50 a month) end and my Vodafone modem at the end of the phone as im going to add the 5GB data pack instead.

By 1st August i will have dropped from a massive 6... yes SIX contracts down to 2 :D

3g-g
7th July 2009, 12:28 AM
Why when O2's 3G coverage is so bad, are so many of us (myself included) on their network?! It's most certainly a case of hardware rules, ok!

Ben
7th July 2009, 12:51 AM
Yeah, this is definitely massively influenced by the iPhone!

Starting to get a better understanding of T-Mobile's woes, though - yikes!

solo12002
7th July 2009, 07:55 AM
Well I have an o2 NHS mobile, no problems with them in fact ive never had to call them.

I had a three mix and match 1100 contract for £21 plus £5 intenet add on.Left them when they removed like home and take it from me I could not wait to do so, the crap CS they have is out of this world and many of us on here know that.

I have just taken a 30 day sim only deal with o2 for the following reasons:

1. I can try then again from a personal point and see if the service is as good.
2. I am not tied into a long contract and therefore can move if the need arises or better deals come out.
3. Ive got 600 mins, 1200 texts free internet bolt on and voicemail for £5 pounds less than three, I like free voicemail as I tend to have to use it while working and I therefore dont end up paying for it.
4. I get ITS which is of no realy use in the EU but will come into play if I head out of it.
5. I can get the Ireland bolt on for free which means I make calls for 25p in Ireland and get incomming ones free.

The downside is theo2 3g coverage is not that great in Northern Ireland, but thats a fact Iam happy to accept for the better service I know o2 can provide.

gorilla
7th July 2009, 08:57 AM
Interesting that no one is using T-mobile as their main network.

miffed
7th July 2009, 09:57 AM
Well TBH if you had asked a couple of years ago I would have picked T-mobile , and I only left them for the iPhone, T-mobile did nothing wrong other than NOT having the iPhone :D
Trouble is , o2 & the iPhone gave me pretty much everything I need , so poor old T-mobile became surplas to requirements .
Shame because they were brilliant for me for a good 4 or 5 years

getti
7th July 2009, 10:17 AM
Imagine how i feel.... i work for them and dont use T-Mobile

gorilla
7th July 2009, 01:54 PM
Imagine how i feel.... i work for them and dont use T-Mobile

I'm sure it's troubling given the current speculation. :confused:

getti
7th July 2009, 09:22 PM
Hard not to think about it when your working there :(