View Full Version : Palm Pre Set for UK Launch Next Week

Hands0n
2nd July 2009, 08:01 PM
Me? Personally? I could care less about the Palm Pre.

But there do appear to be very many (especially Americans) who want to see Palm give Apple a bit of a kicking. Oh well, each to their own.

I find the Pre leaves me fairly stone cold. I am not entirely interested, although being a gadget nut I would like to play with one for a while. I do, however, remain to be convinced that Palm can develop an end user experience like Apple has and how Google Android are doing.

Palm has nothing but the hardware and handset software. Everything else it is going to have to leverage from elsewhere (i.e. Google, not Apple, others ...).

You have got to wish well the company that started the hand-held computer concept. They went a long way and fell an even longer way! Perhaps the Pre will be their salvation, perhaps it will be their last gasp before their demise.

Fingers crossed for Palm then ... next week could be very telling in the UK.

The wait is nearly over...

More than six months have passed since Palm dished out a little shock + awe in unveiling the Pre at CES. Perhaps more significantly, it has been almost a month since those lucky Americans got their hands on the tasty smartphone but now it is our turn.

Palm has called a press event for next week in which it will announce the UK launch of the WebOS based handset as well as unveil what is expected to be an exclusive network partner. Our spies tell us that all the earlier rumours were indeed correct and O2 has sealed the deal with the Carphone Warehouse also selling the handset in a move which virtually mirrors the duo's arrangement with Apple for the iPhone.

We do worry however that this capture will convince the O2 to price match the Pre with the extortionate tariffs dealt out with the iPhone 3GS. *Winces*

As a brief reminder the Pre is a slider with physical Qwerty keyboard, 3.1in multi-touch capable capacitive touchscreen, HSDPA, WiFi, GPS, a 3.2MP camera, Webkit browser and 8GB of native storage. On the plus side it supports multi-tasking via its ingenious 'cards' UI but lacks a memory expansion slot, Flash web browsing and video recording.
So there's a week to kill before we get all the official details.

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2009/07/02/Palm-Pre-Set-for-UK-Launch-Next-Week/p1

gorilla
2nd July 2009, 08:12 PM
It's kind of interesting to me, but only because I'll be on the look out in 6 months. Maybe!
12 months ago it was the iPhone or nothing, now we have a few Android handsets on the horizon, the Pre and the iPhone.

getti
2nd July 2009, 08:16 PM
O2 are getting the Pre and it be be on sale around November/December.

I am sure sure i would put money on it! (and i know someone at O2 who showed me the info they have :p)

miffed
2nd July 2009, 08:28 PM
Again, interested - but not interested ,

On one hand the more manufacturers that start knocking out slick , intuitive GUI's , the quicker the likes of Nokia / SE etc will realise that the times have changed ,and they need to produce similar ! , and it will be great to see how it gets on ...... But on the other hand , for me personally - it would only be able to beat the iPhone by total knock out .
At least this brings us closer to this kind of UI being "the norm"