View Full Version : iPhone 3GS sepia screen tone?

Hands0n
5th July 2009, 08:09 PM
There has been a bit of a caffuffle on various forums and The Register about the new iPhone 3GS screen having a yellower hue than the 3G that in turn had a yellower hue than the original 2G.

In comparing my new 3GS alongside the 3G I find that the 3GS actually has a cooler tone that is more like the 2G used to be.

Variable production quality or something more sinister amiss? What would those of you who have upgraded to the 3GS say?

gorilla
5th July 2009, 08:25 PM
To be perfectly honets, I don't notice a difference. All I will say is the screen seems to be of high quality.

miffed
5th July 2009, 08:29 PM
It is very strange TBH , I think it is variable quality - I noticed the "yellow" to the 3G compared to my 2G , but got used to it and now prefer the 3G.
But the other day , my mate was worrying about his new 3GS having a "washed out" look compared to his 2G (which he was still using at the time) - I tried to show him the difference between the 2G and 3G , but lo and behold . his 2G's screen was almost identical to mine (albeit a little duller )
People of at the Macwhingers forum are plagued with the issues , with some people suggesting the Yellow seems to dwell towards the bottom of the 3GS screens - there are the usual hoards of people who have been told how to create "special conditions" to see the "fault". and then feel Apple should issue a recall ! :D
Personally , I'll return my 3GS if there is a strikingly obvious problem , but it I can only see it when next to another iPhone I'll live with it, although having said that , my mate reckons photos look really "washed out" on his 3GS , if it really is THAT bad I won't be having any of it !

Ben
5th July 2009, 09:19 PM
My 3GS is quite a lot warmer than my 3G, which in turns is much warmer than a friend's 2G.

Hands0n
5th July 2009, 09:34 PM
LOL thats funny - my 3GS is cooler than my 3G!

miffed
9th July 2009, 10:55 AM
Now this is interesting !

I got my 3GS yesterday , and being aware of the issue , was relieved to note that my screen appeared to be COOLER than the 3G (only slightly ) - but on the whole, there was no yellow hue , and I was 100% happy to be "issue free"

Then , today at work (lots of natural light and a little Flourescent tube light ) and there is a definate yellow tone to the whites.

Lets get this in perspective though , this is not a problem (or at least not in my case) - had I not heard about the issue previously I would not even have noticed - Can you imagine buying a Nokia or a Samsung and then sulking because the whites aren't quite biological enough for you ? :D It's not the Daz doorstep challenge !

My guess is that it is down to the new coating more than anything else.

Ben
9th July 2009, 11:39 AM
Lol yeah in 99% of cases where someone has observed a yellow 'tinge' it's completely not a problem. There are a small number of people who do seem to have poor quality screens lacking in contrast and with patchy discolouration but no more, I'd say, than you'd expect for any device. It's purely that the first thing a lot of vocal forum users did is compare all three of their iPhones that the chatter about yellow screens has started.