View Full Version : iPhone 3GS - Dispelling the Myths

Hands0n
6th July 2009, 08:16 PM
To read some news articles and [other] forum threads one might be forgiven for thinking that the 2009 Apple iPhone 3GS is the biggest turkey since the beginning of time. These places are littered with howls of derision at how bad the 3GS really is. And it does leave one wondering if that decision to buy was altogether a wise one.

With the benefit of Apple's 14-day returns policy for all store-bought equipment I took the plunge with the iPhone 3GS and want to take a few minutes to dispel some of the FUD that is about. Okay, so my experience with the 3GS is only a couple of days, but I've sufficient time in the general iPhone saddle to know a turkey when I see one. The 3GS is not one of those.

I utterly refuse to believe that I have been lucky enough to buy the only fully functioning iPhone 3GS. So to business ...

Overheating
Much stuff of nonsense has been written about the ability of the iPhone to operate in warm climates. Apple released a specific article about it too. Only the articles that report on this took great care to omit the fact that the article was written originally for the 3G and was updated to include the 3GS.

The usual warnings are published such as not to leave the iPhone (of any flavour) in hot cars, on dashboards or in direct sunlight such as by the pool on beach. Who in their right mind would do any of those and expect their electronic device to still be working? Yet if you read the article and comments on the likes of The Register you'd think Apple had dropped a right old clanger. And of course the anti-tards have grabbed this little gem with both hands and giving it for all they have got!

Any electronic device will not survive well, especially the battery, in extremely hot conditions. And that may well be making heavy use of gaming in a very warm environment where the handset and battery overheat. The battery's internal resistance goes up and it starts to lose capacity.

Sensible precautions to prevent or avoid overheating are advised. And you will find these for all electronic devices. Simples.

Low 3G Signal
A few scribblings have been seen by me lamenting the poor 3G signal performance of the new iPhone 3GS. I feared the worst because of my already documented [on here] signal availability from O2.

The reality is a million miles away from the rabid speculation and seemingly erroneous reporting. I have carried the 3GS and 3G around with me to compare signal strength and they have been aligned throughout. I've tested at home, at work and out and about. Not once did either handset report differently.

Poor Battery Life
My 3GS is on its third charge since new and after a full day's use is currently at 47% capacity which is entirely what I would have seen with my 3G. As the battery conditions itself I would expect the charge capacity to increase slightly and then level off, as does all Li-ion battery technology.

The use I have made of it today has been somewhat heavier than normal as the workmates wanted to see the new handset in action. And so I have been shooting endless video, taking pictures, showing off the AGPS apps such as Compass as well as its normal calls and messages use. The battery has, under the circumstances, fared very well indeed. I have not needed to take an "opportunity charge" from my works laptop or elsewhere.

Screen's Yellow Hue
I do not know where this information has come from, but very many have reported that the 3GS has a warmer, more yellow hue about the screen. This is a great puzzle to me as when lined up side by side with the 3G I observe that the 3GS in fact has a colder, more blue-white, hue reminiscent of the original iPhone (2G).

Are these complainers comparing handsets as I have been, side by side? It makes me think that they are not.

Conclusion
Well, what can I possibly say? Just two short days after purchase I have found that the iPhone 3GS that is in my ownership has none of the widely reported "faults". Yet spend only a few minutes on the likes of Macrumors and you would walk away from the 3GS thinking you'd escaped a fate worse than death.

For certain, it is possible that every single one of the complaints represents a bona fide fault with a specific individual handset. But the fact of the matter is that there are perfectly functioning devices out in the wild also.

If you are going to consider an iPhone 3GS you can be certain of two things. The first is that you have Apple's unconditional 14-day returns policy. If there is anything at all you don't like about the 3GS you can obtain a full refund, no questions asked. The second is that Apple's default 12-month warranty is backed up by a superb customer support system. If you can make it to an Apple store then all the better. You will walk out with a replacement that may be a full refurbished or brand new device. Otherwise their phone-in service is reportedly very good (I have not used it myself).

With that kind of backup what else would one need?

Ben
6th July 2009, 09:33 PM
Oh the hyped 'faults' are definitely greatly exaggerated.

I definitely am seeing a few more "No Service" messages than I was on the 3G, though, and my screen is quite a lot warmer than the 3G, too. But I don't consider my 3GS to have any faults, these are just my observations.

And, of course, with this being Apple I know that any time down the line I can go to them for a replacement if I'm not happy.

gorilla
6th July 2009, 09:56 PM
I haven't seen the 3G since I give it to my good lady. Honestly, you'd think I hadn't told her how good a phone it was. In other words, I can't run a comparison myself, but I'm perfectly happy with the 3GS.

dgilbert2
19th July 2009, 05:10 PM
I have had an iphone 3GS 16GB for a week now and knew nothing of the problems regarding signal strength.

At home I have a USB mobile broadband device, Nokia 6233 and Nokia 7600. All these connect fine to the O2 3G signal in our area with good data transfer speeds. e.g. the modems speed is a confident 1.5-2Mb on HSDPA/UMTS.

The iphone? Nothing like it, only GPRS and sometimes Edge.

It clearly HAS got problems although the screen/battery temperature etc are fine.

It really winds me up that a device with such a good reputation otherwise cannot work on 3G where my other devices have no trouble whatsoever.

Even been on the phone with Apple Tech Support today who took me through a restore which re-flashed the firmware and reset everything back to "out the box" but it made no difference whatsoever.

I am so disappointed as this is my first experience with Apple and the “famous” iphone. :mad:

Somehow I don’t even see a firmware upgrade fixing it as there are just too many people complaining and they would have fixed it by now on the original 3G variant?

Think its going back at the price they demand!

Hands0n
19th July 2009, 05:36 PM
Hmm, its a pity that your first experience of the iPhone is so poor. I, too, get very poor non-existent 3G signal at home, but it does vary wildly when out and about which is something of a reflection of O2's spread of 3G across the UK.

But for sure, the iPhone 3GS seems to be suffering some of the problems that the 3G suffered in its earlier software versions. Those were corrected by subsequent software updates from Apple as they tweaked the 3G chipset in the phone.

It is likely to be no different in the 3GS - this model has a different 3G chipset that supports HSPA as it is available, which with O2 is variable also. But the handset is also poorer at latching on to a signal, possibly due to the sheer amount of tech shoehorned into the small case.

I wouldn't advise you against sending it back if it really does not fit what you're after. But it is worth mentioning that Apple have resolved widespread issues like this previously through software updates.

dgilbert2
19th July 2009, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't advise you against sending it back if it really does not fit what you're after. But it is worth mentioning that Apple have resolved widespread issues like this previously through software updates.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I hope your right and that we shall see things improve with firmware updates. I'll give the experience a few more days ;)

Ben
19th July 2009, 06:40 PM
If you've got WiFi in the places you use the phone much I wouldn't sweat it too much - you'll find you're rarely using cellular data anyway.

That doesn't excuse the poor reception, am just saying it's not a dealbreaker in most circumstances.

dgilbert2
12th September 2009, 03:39 PM
Well, have now had 3.1 running for a couple of days but it does not seem to have improved the 3G signal issues :mad:

Hands0n
12th September 2009, 06:31 PM
Just re-reading your earlier post. I wonder, are you anywhere near an Apple store? If you can get to one I would suggest you nip in with your iPhone and the purchase receipt (or whatever O2 gave you when you signed up). I'd suggest you pre-book your time with one of their "Genius" team who'll listen to you, take a quick look at the handset and in 99.99% of cases replace it with another matching handset there and then. Do make sure you back-up your iPhone before you do any of this. When you get the new one back home all you do is pop it into iTunes, tell iTunes to restore from the backup and about ten mins later you're done. The new handset will be a clone of the old one in terms of apps, contacts, media etc...

It might be worth mentioning the stark difference in 3G performance between the iPhone and your other 3G kit using the same SIM. That'll probably help the Genius make their mind up to replace the handset.

Use this link to locate your nearest Apple store (if you don't already know where it is) http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/

You can reserve time at the Genius Bar using this link http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

That would be my next move.