View Full Version : UK 3G Coverage Maps (Ofcom 8th Jul 2009)

3g-g
8th July 2009, 12:06 PM
So who's got the most extensive 3G coverage? Three have, you silly goose!

Probably pretty obvious, seeing as they've been doing it the longest, I would of hope they always keep ahead with the head start they've had. So who's next? Orange, and from the looks of these maps, their HSPA 3G network is pretty extensive. I'm quite amazed to the extent in central and northern England, over Vodafone.

Needless to say, O2's is diabolically poor and TMo don't fair much better. However, each to their own, it may be that there's only one operator that provides decent 3G service where you live and work.

You can find the maps here. (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf)

Ben
8th July 2009, 12:07 PM
PDF showing all 5 UK network's 3G coverage attached.

Vodafone seems to have surprisingly little? H3G, on the other hand, looks good, as does Orange.

Hmm!

getti
8th July 2009, 12:13 PM
Orange is the surprise for me.

H3G are a 3G only so are expected to be high
O2 we all know have poor 3G
Vodafone seem to be poor on the PDF but good IRL
T-Mobile are pushing 3G a lot and have mixed rep

Orange never seem to get a mention and yet took to have very good coverage

Ben
8th July 2009, 12:14 PM
We're just far too quick :p I will take my beating gracefully!

I'm pretty appalled at O2. I mean I knew it was bad, but damn! That said, they were the last to 80% population coverage, and it looks like they're pretty much up there with T-Mobile now - so perhaps their rollout is still ploughing on?

And Vodafone I just don't get. Surely they should have as much 3G as Orange. Sigh.

gorilla
8th July 2009, 02:19 PM
Living in NI, it's not hard to see why I liked 3!

If 3 are for sale then someone is going to get a pretty good 3g network (presumably?). T-mobile look woeful for me, as do O2 and Vodafone. If orange get an Android device, I'd be tempted on to their network, although I have no idea about their tariffs.

All in all, it makes for pretty bleak reading. What does this suggest for 4G and LTE? Will we still be using Edge for data in 5-10 years time?

Ben
8th July 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm curious as to why Orange's 3G coverage looks much more like H3G's than the other incumbents? Perhaps Orange have more ambitious plans for migrating their entire network to UMTS than the other mobops do?

With GSM 900 it's not hard to see why O2 and Vodafone would just want to deploy 3G where population densities and data usage make the most commercial sense. Perhaps they're very much waiting for the regulator to act on GSM 900 so that they can deploy 3G/4G in this space, appreciating that it will be much more cost-effective than doing so at 2100MHz?

getti
8th July 2009, 02:32 PM
Living in NI, it's not hard to see why I liked 3!

If 3 are for sale then someone is going to get a pretty good 3g network (presumably?). T-mobile look woeful for me, as do O2 and Vodafone. If orange get an Android device, I'd be tempted on to their network, although I have no idea about their tariffs.

All in all, it makes for pretty bleak reading. What does this suggest for 4G and LTE? Will we still be using Edge for data in 5-10 years time?

Orange are getting the HTC Hero. That's an Android device

Ben
8th July 2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe I'll give Orange another try, too... I used to have terrible problems with their 3G, call dropping, calls going straight to answerphone etc... it'd be interesting to see what they're like these days - I've had my USIM in the 2G Vertu for years!

gorilla
8th July 2009, 03:02 PM
Orange are getting the HTC Hero. That's an Android device

Orange is almost like an alien network to me these days. Isn't the Hero getting some decent reviews?

getti
8th July 2009, 03:21 PM
Maybe I'll give Orange another try, too... I used to have terrible problems with their 3G, call dropping, calls going straight to answerphone etc... it'd be interesting to see what they're like these days - I've had my USIM in the 2G Vertu for years!

IF and that is a BIG IF Orange have that amount of coverage for 3G that are doing naff all with it. I tried Orange a few months back and 3G was there but about 1 bar at best.

My feeling with O2 is they will slowly push 3G out but are already planning LTE for their major rollout and I can kind of see where they are coming from. LTE is say 2-3yrs from rollout and handsets on sale so why put millions and millions into something that will be replaced in a short time.

My O2 sim that was cancelled yesterday is re-ordered and il be waiting to see what the Palm Pre has to offer

miffed
8th July 2009, 04:35 PM
PDF showing all 5 UK network's 3G coverage attached.

Vodafone seems to have surprisingly little?
Hmm!

This may go some way to explaining WHY I CAN NEVER GET A DECENT BLOODY 3G SIGNAL FROM THEM .........GGGGGGRRRRRR !!!

....And just to add insult to injury , my place of work and home are (according o that map) right , smack bang in the middle of well covered areas , I should be getting RF burns . when in reality ,all I get is 2 bars of 2G
i wonder what OFCOM's criterea is for establish "coverage" ? Because the Network in question say so ? :confused:

miffed
8th July 2009, 04:38 PM
Orange is almost like an alien network to me these days. Isn't the Hero getting some decent reviews?

Wonder if they'll be able to kill it with branding ? - bet they'll have a good go !

Ben
8th July 2009, 07:28 PM
Wonder if they'll be able to kill it with branding ? - bet they'll have a good go !
Oh yes! I remember now! Homeshite! :D

solo12002
8th July 2009, 09:17 PM
Personally

I fine the f ing lot of them so much for OFCOM stating they had to provide coverage covering % of the UK by x date. Its a bloody joke from the lot apart from 3.

Ben
9th July 2009, 10:41 AM
The BBC has added it's 2c: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8140947.stm

Seems to imply Ofcom are actually going to do something? Okaay :)

mrubs
5th February 2012, 06:33 PM
Without this coverage i can use 3G ?