View Full Version : Gone and done it!

chagle
9th July 2009, 05:00 AM
Like many iPhone users, the main reason I went with O2 was simply because of the iPhone but I do struggle at times in having a decent signal at home let alone a full 3G (in fact never ever had a 3G signal). Although 3G isn't that important at home due to the fact I have WiFi.

Driving around etc. I do still struggle with 3G, O2 isn't perfect. OK, they do have excellent 'support' what with FREE VM and O2 > O2 calls (The other half is with O2 via me and can call unlimited O2 > O2).

But it came to the crunch just a few days ago where the most obviously places I had no service - Where I should have! It's not a 3GS thing either!

So I did it... JBed and unlocked the 3GS. Got myself a T-Mobile Solo SIM with Internet bundle. T-Mobile I have always liked as a Network - Been with them before and left them due to the iPhone! It's just a 'test/trial' - but so far, *** perfect *** 3G at home...! First day outing will be today..!

MMS works a treat, after easily searching google for the settings - Surfing with Safari over 3G seems a bit smoother!... Might just be me!

I took the Solo deal as it's a 30 day contract and I can cancel as and when.

Watch this space! :-)

Hands0n
9th July 2009, 06:54 AM
Watch this space! :-)

Ooooh, and with great interest too :)

Good luck with T-Mobile. They were good for me too when Flext arrived. Prior to that I wouldn't give them the time of day. I switched to O2 because of the iPhone also, but life in North Kent and London isn't too bad, living with the fact that O2's 3G/HSPA coverage is pathetic by comparison. It really is the classic case of "postcode lottery" with the UK mobile ops.

For future reference, all the UK mobile operator settings (and more) are easily found at http://www.filesaveas.com/networks.html - its pretty much the key resource I use for this stuff.

chagle
9th July 2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the info Hands0n.

It's just a trial as I say, who knows I might be back to O2 at the end of today in which case I'll be in my 7 days 'cooling off' period - although as I say it's only a 30 day contract anyway.

I did love Flext - but I see they have changed somewhat. T-Mobile isn't as good value as O2 for sure. Especially when we have free WiFi via Hotspots...

Still I'm learning by the minute more about T-Mobile's coverage! ;)

(Written @ Costa Coffee shop using my Three 3G Dongle...! :D )

Ben
9th July 2009, 10:12 AM
God bless dongles :D

Grats on doing the JB and unlock - I'm actually quite envious, I'd love to try the iPhone on another network. In fact, I think you may have spurred me on to try doing my 3G and popping my Orange SIM in there! I have no idea what data bundles Orange do, mind you...

Hands0n
9th July 2009, 02:41 PM
The last I saw, Orange bundles had something in commong with being rodgered by Mike Tyson, dry! :eek:

chagle
9th July 2009, 07:27 PM
Grats on doing the JB and unlock - I'm actually quite envious, I'd love to try the iPhone on another network..

That's just it, I just wanted to try! Alas, as Hands0n says, it really is a postcode lottery.

T-Mobile @ Home perfect 3G, O2 - 3G non-existent.

Apart from that, they are pretty much the same.. as least my areas I travel to/from. So with this... it's bye bye T-Mobile! I've driving about 300 miles today so had plenty of time to suss things out.

Why I like O2 - O2 > O2, MMS included in your allowance, decent data bundle incl free WiFi and of course, free voicemail.. and let's face it, with the iPhone and O2 -- It just works with no tweaking! Me likes that!

O2, well they aren't that bad after all! ;)