View Full Version : My Iphone 3Gs has gone to the big Apple in the sky!!

a_ukboy
11th July 2009, 09:13 PM
My poor baby has died, its strange... All of sudden when i touch my iphones screen it just speaks to me instead of actually doing the function, so i connected it to itunes to restore and it won't, when it verifys the restore with apple i get the unable to restore due to an unknown reason!!! So need to book an Apple Genius appointment, the next one for Regent St is Tuesday!! :eek: But this is an emergancy!!!!

Im grieving!!!!

Now using my old N95, with no contacts...

Hands0n
11th July 2009, 10:32 PM
Oh my goodness! :eek: Can you get to Bluewater in Kent? Maybe they can see you sooner?

a_ukboy
11th July 2009, 10:35 PM
I know, i feel like i've lost a limb.. Bluewater and Lakeside are both Monday! Was kinda hoping tomorrow.. Monday and Tuesday are kinda out the question for me really, so probably going to be Wednesday! :-(

Ben
12th July 2009, 01:20 AM
ooer! Can't you put it into some sort of mode that'll let you restore it via iTunes? :S

a_ukboy
12th July 2009, 05:31 AM
Its in restore mode but then i get an error message on itunes when trying to verify the restore!! :confused:

miffed
12th July 2009, 08:15 AM
Can you get it into DFU mode ? (turn off , power&home, home)

Hands0n
12th July 2009, 09:08 AM
Can you get it into DFU mode ? (turn off , power&home, home)

I had assumed he'd already tried that ... but just in case ... here's a practical HowTo http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

chagle
12th July 2009, 09:57 AM
O --- M --- G

That really is like having no oxygen!! Good luck! :mad:

a_ukboy
12th July 2009, 11:34 AM
Ok, managed to get into dfu mode but still get the same error message, now its stuck in dfu mode, so now i have a very expensive brick :-(

Hands0n
12th July 2009, 11:58 AM
You can get it back. Or try again. Although it behaves like a brick it is still alive under the hood.

Are you on the current version of iTunes? That seems to be important.

Also can you try it with iTunes on another system ie if you're on a PC can you try on a Mac or vice versa?

It could be an electronic failure. If this stuff is going to fail it generally does in the first 90 days. If it survives beyond that it will likely last forever.

Hands0n
12th July 2009, 12:01 PM
Of course, the other option would be to go along to the Apple store anyway, put on your best sad face and act ignorant of the Genius Bar altogether. Tell them you've crossed half the planet to get there. Throw yourself upon their better nature which they seem to have in abundance :D

chagle
12th July 2009, 02:05 PM
Of course, the other option would be to go along to the Apple store anyway, put on your best sad face and act ignorant of the Genius Bar altogether. Tell them you've crossed half the planet to get there. Throw yourself upon their better nature which they seem to have in abundance :D

That's what I would do.. walk in with very sad eye and just tell them it's a matter of life and death! Tell them without your 'baby' (your iPhone) you couldn't carry on...

a_ukboy
12th July 2009, 08:26 PM
Ok, so today i took my brick with me to my mates house, who has a mac and plugged it in, tried a restore and my baby's back.... Funny it wouldn't work on my vista laptop!!

miffed
12th July 2009, 08:33 PM
Whew ! Glad you got it sorted !

Hands0n
13th July 2009, 06:52 AM
Ok, so today i took my brick with me to my mates house, who has a mac and plugged it in, tried a restore and my baby's back.... Funny it wouldn't work on my vista laptop!!

Ah, that'll be Vista then :D

Seriously, it can sometimes help to do these things on a different platform if what you're using doesn't work. It shouldn't be like that of course.

There's some good new model Macbooks around these days. Could sir be tempted :cool: