View Full Version : Just Jailbroke my 3GS for no reason

miffed
12th July 2009, 01:10 PM
Got a bit bored yesterday evening , so decided to set about Jailbreaking the 3G.
Don't ask me why !! , no particular reason , other than "just to see if I can"
...And I can ! , Redsn0w makes thinks much more simple , and for some reason I am much happier with the idea of Jailbreaking the phone itself , rather than flashing with a custom made .ipsw - although at the end of the day there is very little difference I suppose !
I literally Jailbroke it , checked if it still worked , and haven't even opened Cydia yet !
All good fun :D

chagle
12th July 2009, 02:03 PM
Yes, when I did mine a couple of days ago - It was quick, painless and to be honest, very easy!

Last time I JB'ed my 3G and it was a lot of hassle with creating a custom image then restoring that with iTunes...!

Although I have restored to plain vanilla FW again, if I need to I know it'll be a painless exercise!

miffed
12th July 2009, 02:10 PM
Any reason for the return to the normal firmware , or again , just for the hell of it ?
I noticed that the Jailbroken 3G seemed sluggish , I am sure it had something to do with winterboard - but even after uninstalling it , it was never the same untill i restored to the vanilla firmware

So far so good with the 3GS though !

chagle
12th July 2009, 02:16 PM
Just for the hell of it really. At the time I had it JB'ed and unlocked so I could stick a TMob sim in to have a comparison to O2.

Anyway, I went back to O2 and had no need for a JB'ed 3GS anymore. But I would have no problem JB'ing again if I needed to - Especially as it's quick and easy these days..! :o

getti
12th July 2009, 07:07 PM
How easy is it to unlock a 3GS with Ultrasn0w?.

If i went out tomorrow, handed over £440 and brought back a PAYG iPhone 3GS i would ideally unlock it to use Vodafone

Problem is a worry i have is for some reason the unlock wont work one day and il be stuck with a locked phone

miffed
12th July 2009, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVvQNC0yACM&feature=channel

Simple mate , add the reposotory , install and run it.

You are never stuck with an iPhone ! ebay has idiots queing up to pay (proabably ) far more than the RRP you oaid !!

getti
12th July 2009, 08:06 PM
I really cant work out why im worried the unlock will work for a while and then stop.... i know as long as i dont upgrade the OS to 3.1 i will be fine.

I have seen reports that after unlocking the battery became worse... anyone know if this is the case

a_ukboy
12th July 2009, 08:24 PM
Just a quick question, do you have to jail brake it to be able to unlock it? and if its jail broken can you take it back to Apple if you have a problem with it?

miffed
12th July 2009, 08:41 PM
Yes , you need to Jailbreak first

I don't think Apple / o2 would entertain you if you presented them with a jailbroken iPhone

.... But I'd guess if you wlashed back to "proper" firmware they'd never know.

chaslam
12th July 2009, 10:04 PM
I would guess its like the operating system of a PC? If the fault has occurred BECAUSE the phone has been jail broken, then they wouldn't fix it. If the fault is physical e.g. a physical button isn't working, then yes, there should be no problem getting it fixed. Thats the same with PCs/Laptops. If you install Linux on your windows PC for instance and the wireless doesnt work because you have installed Linux, then no, that wont be covered. If the CD drive goes or the motherboard blows, then yes, the manufacturer will fix it for you regardless of the operating system.

a_ukboy
8th September 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm thinking of Jailbreaking my iphone 3GS, why? i have no idea... Is it worth it? someone at work says its easy to do and the phones so much better? They told me if it goes wrong just restore on itunes? Also i will be getting my iphone unlocked in a couple of months when i say goodbye to o2... Does it have to be jailbroken to do that too??

So whats the pro's and con's???

Hands0n
8th September 2009, 09:56 AM
If you have no interest or intention of running unofficial iPhone apps then Jailbreaking is pointless. However, if you intend to unlock the iPhone (unofficially) then you need the Jailbreak to allow the current breed of unlocks (ie RedSnow) to operate.

I am not convinced about performance gains under a Jailbreak. There is no logical reason that should occur. A lot of urban legend has sprung up around the iPhone :)

a_ukboy
8th September 2009, 12:48 PM
Well ive been trying to jailbreak my iphone for the past 3 hours, and so far no luck.. infact i'm gonna throw it out the window in a min... LOL
I've installed redsn0w and it runs ok, downloaded iphone 3.0 firmware and when i try to open the download with redsn0w it wont verify the firmware?? ive downloaded the firware from 5 different sources now..

I give up

gorilla
8th September 2009, 01:25 PM
That happened me as well. Are you running snow leopard? I am and I thought it might be something to do with that.

miffed
8th September 2009, 01:27 PM
Just a thought , Safari isn't unzipping the .ipsw files (firmware) automatically after downloading them is it ? if so , you need to stop it ! (or download using Firefox )

Hands0n
8th September 2009, 01:31 PM
Good spot. That is what Safari does by default and the likes of iClarified do advise the use of Firefox to download the .ipsw files.

I've not tried Jailbreak on Snow Leopard - Redsn0w works ok on Leopard with the latest updates. I can testify to that

gorilla
8th September 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm downloading using FF. It's just redsn0w wont verify the firmware.

Hands0n
8th September 2009, 05:05 PM
Ah, another thought. Redsn0w was for 3.0. Are you using a compatible version for the iPhone firmware? My experience was Redsn0w and 3.0. I am not aware of an update for 3.01 iPhone firmware.

Worth checking. As I can't see any other good reason for the problem you describe

a_ukboy
8th September 2009, 05:46 PM
Its defo 3.0 firmware and im having exactly the same issue as Gorilla

gorilla
8th September 2009, 06:01 PM
I don't think it matters which firmware you're currently on:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4448

Hands0n
8th September 2009, 07:05 PM
Hmmm. Okay you lot have got me stumped and, seeing as I'm some 2,000 miles from my tech it will be a while before I can have a fiddle for myself :)

you are downloading the special .ipsw file in para 3 of the instructions on iClarified, yes? Sorry, have to ask.

Blimey! We've finally found a situation where the iPhone is useless as a PC substitute! :D

a_ukboy
9th September 2009, 10:48 AM
Ok, so now i've deleted redsnow and the iphonhe 3gs 3.0 firmware i've downloaded and gone to iclarified and downloaded the iphone 3gs 3.0 from there and then re-installed redsn0w and sill have the same problem, i get unable to recognize specified IPSW...

Very very strange indeed

a_ukboy
9th September 2009, 11:06 AM
Seem to have it working now :-)

a_ukboy
9th September 2009, 03:42 PM
Ok, now i've done it i find it very confusing to use, specially things like open ssh, i've downloaded the active weather application from Cydia and changing the settings aint easy, another day wasted playing with the phone... LOL